Coffee - drip, pour over, French press, or percolator?

Ralphie

10 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Are percolators a grandma or camping only thing?  

yes....do you like grounds in the bottom of your cup?

The lovely Sara with an H converted me to pour over. I like much

prior I was doing a Keurig. It just was not delivering the caffeine jolt I needed

• Heart 2
  • Like 2

I switched to french press at home when my drip broke. Someone here recommended it, but I can't recall who.  Little extra work, but good cup of joe. Just grind, or get course ground coffee. If its fine, it'll clog the screen. I grind my own at home w/ a little $20 Braun grinder. Lasting for years so far.

• Heart 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

But how is it different?  Don;t they work basically the same? :scratchhead:

No.  The way the grounds are engaged with the water makes a difference.  In pour over you blossom the grounds for 30 seconds and then pour all the water over.  The temp of the water is critical as well.  In drip it’s…… well…… drip, drip, drip…

Ahhh!

As you start your pourover brew, you'll want to add just enough brewing water to wet all of the grounds, then stop and let the gas escape for about 30 seconds. You'll see the bed of grounds swell and expand, resulting in what coffee professionals call a "bloom." This step also helps the coffee grounds fully saturate, and extract solubles from the center of each grind particle and not just the edges.

https://www.seriouseats.com/make-better-pourover-coffee-how-pourover-works-temperature-timing

• Awesome 1

I had a percolator in my college dorm and fraternity rooms in the '70's and it made good coffee.

But, just like my parents, I switched to drip when it became popular soon after I graduated, mostly because it was so convenient and the pot with coffee in it separates from the machine.

One cousin loves a French press and i makes good coffee, but it's too much like work for me.

55 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Ahhh!

As you start your pourover brew, you'll want to add just enough brewing water to wet all of the grounds, then stop and let the gas escape for about 30 seconds. You'll see the bed of grounds swell and expand, resulting in what coffee professionals call a "bloom." This step also helps the coffee grounds fully saturate, and extract solubles from the center of each grind particle and not just the edges.

https://www.seriouseats.com/make-better-pourover-coffee-how-pourover-works-temperature-timing

AND why did you question me?

3 hours ago, Ralphie said:

Our drip carafe just broke, so I am trying a pour over.  Are percolators a grandma or camping only thing?  

Drip FTW.

Each night, grind beans, fill the reservoir, hit the "program start" button, awake in the morning to fresh and delicious coffee.  

No need to complicate coffee. It tastes great and even better when it is ready as soon as we wake up. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

The only coffee I've ever had in the house is tea bag like coffee.  I've never had any kind of coffee machine.

This may be the saddest thing I read today :(

How about coffee ice cream? Easily one of the best ice cream flavors out there!

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

This may be the saddest thing I read today :(

How about coffee ice cream? Easily one of the best ice cream flavors out there!

I don't like coffee flavor sneaking in other foods I like. :nodhead:

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

I used to use the espresso machine daily. We bought a drip coffeemaker when Mom came to visit. I began using that daily after the wreck because I could do it one handed.

Now that I am back at work, I like using the timer to have it ready. Gives me 10-15 minutes extra in the morning. 

We have a French press we use on occasion. Makes a nice cup! Just more clean up. 

• Heart 1

Just made my first cup of pourover.  Very good!  Takes more time but I usually only drink coffee at home when time is not of the essence.  I think the metal filter did a great job of keeping grinds out, at least at the top of the cup.  The bottom is the real test.  I like the idea of not having to use a filter.

12 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

This is an outstanding question!  Fortunately I don't discriminate.  They all have a place for me.

Yup!  With the exception of percolated!  Owl have to replace the cracked drip carafe for times when we have people over.  And I might try French Press again someday.  This pourover is much less bitter than drip, but I forget which coffee I used.  Owl try my regular decaf Chock Full O Nuts next.  It definitely gets bitter after sitting for more than a few hours, so pourover helps with that by doing a cup at a time.

9 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

At home I have a Mr Coffee drip maker, and a Mr Coffee espresso.  our son's brother in law was showing me his French press, and if it is not too expensive I may get one of those, too

I liked my French press phase, but I forgot to empty it one time and it got moldy. :( Mold LOVES wet coffee grounds!  

On 7/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, Kzoo said:

No.  The way the grounds are engaged with the water makes a difference.  In pour over you blossom the grounds for 30 seconds and then pour all the water over.  The temp of the water is critical as well.  In drip it’s…… well…… drip, drip, drip…

Actually, a couple of drip coffee makers do the bloom now too. I have a pour-over, french press, and a traditional coffee maker.

My TCM has a rain shower head type of fixture to put the water in, it heats and calibrates the temp about 5-8 mins before starting, pours some in, sits for about 30s and then continues. Makes an excellent cup, travel, or carafe of coffee every time.

I sold my espresso machine as it has a "specialty brew" at 4oz and a "Forte" 8oz. With frothed milk its delicious.

So today's is a little weak because I have not yet got into a routine with the measurement (the can says a heaping measure per 6 ounces and I did a flat per 8 but it is just a tad too weak) and it was slow to make 2 cups worth, so maybe next time owl try making less at once, but then I have to empty the grounds in between, and I have to be careful to not let any go down the drain,  And even though I made it into an insulated mug, it still cooled too much in the time it took to make it.  But the flavour is great.  Definitely no bitterness like I often got with this same coffee on drip.  And the tea kettle heats up on the stove much more quickly than I estimated so it adds very little time.