So why do you think SUVs are so popular?

Ralphie

Every year we count the number of SUV's that tip over on the highway in the winter.  Sitting up high comes at a price.  You're driving a vehicle designed to climb over logs on a freeway around corners.

Note to self..........sitting up high is negated when everyone else is sitting up high and blocking your view.  There's a reason that vehicles that go around corners quickly are so low.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Every year we count the number of SUV's that tip over on the highway in the winter.  Sitting up high comes at a price.  You're driving a vehicle designed to climb over logs on a freeway around corners.

Note to self..........sitting up high is negated when everyone else is sitting up high and blocking your view.  There's a reason that vehicles that go around corners quickly are so low.

I don't think this makes them popular, maxx.   :) 

• Haha 2

One of the measures when I was shopping and bought the Mini Countryman SUV was with the car sitting on level ground the  distance from pavement to seat bottom (back corner, excluding bolstering but the actual seat cushion). My old VW Passat (like most cars) was 17" and was tired of using the door to pull up when exiting. By contrast, another car - my wife's Fiat 500 - was 21" and a straight sit over, step out. I found the optimal range to be between 21" and 25" (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge, etc). Above that, such as trucks, was climbing up. While it is not the "height/visibility" which essentially is a secondary benefit, it is the ease of access/egress that was primary. The additional space of no trunk is also great. The only other requirement I had was the rear seat had to be at least 48" (cushion edge to cushion edge - not door to door) to accommodate child seat in center and 2 slender adults. For reference, the Passat was 52" and the Fiat rear seat is a joke not worth measuring.

8 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

One of the measures when I was shopping and bought the Mini Countryman SUV was with the car sitting on level ground the  distance from pavement to seat bottom (back corner, excluding bolstering but the actual seat cushion). My old VW Passat (like most cars) was 17" and was tired of using the door to pull up when exiting. By contrast, another car - my wife's Fiat 500 - was 21" and a straight sit over, step out. I found the optimal range to be between 21" and 25" (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge, etc). Above that, such as trucks, was climbing up. While it is not the "height/visibility" which essentially is a secondary benefit, it is the ease of access that was primary. The additional space of no trunk is also great. The only other requirement I had was the rear seat had to be at least 48" (cushion edge to cushion edge - not door to door) to accommodate child seat in center and 2 slender adults. For reference, the Passat was 52" and the Fiat rear seat is a joke not worth measuring.

My wife’s requirement was it must be four wheel drive and seat eight. The back two rows of seats need to be able to fit three cars seats each. She takes being a grandma seriously.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Are you quoting yourself whilst complaining of quoting yourself?  :) 

Sort of.

On the original, intended to make a quick edit (and since have), changing "access" to read "access/egress"

The problem is, I apparently hit "Quote" rather than "Edit", made the changes, hit Enter which created the post of myself. It is that second post that would like to outright delete. Instead, I had to edit it, removing the quoted material - type in the edit note in the quote area, and raise the question.

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't think this makes them popular, maxx.   :) 

It certainly doesn't.  It points out why most shouldn't.  The concept of a Volvo wagon or some quality hatchback should not be getting swept into the background because urban drivers need to climb over logs.

There is nothing sillier than a Pearl White Lexus SUV with chrome wheels and black brush guards at the pump while the housewife driving to work by herself is filling it.

13 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Because minivans got a bad rap as soccer-mom mobiles and SUV's (especially crossovers) are really just minivans in a fancier looking package.

This in part.  Many "SUV's" aren't SUV's, they are camouflaged cars, especially crossovers.  Several SUV's and crossovers don't even have 4 wheel drive unless added as an upscale package.  Crossovers by in large forgo the cross country capability by reducing the ground clearance in favor of more car like handling.  Marketing has made the SUV label more acceptable than the soccer mom van label.  So many single driver SUV's driving to work each day are simply a waste of the drivers time.  Given the number of multi car families out there, a driveway full of SUV's makes no sense.  For the very few who actually tow a boat more than twice a year (once to the water and once home) a single SUV or Truck makes sense.  For the rest?  Why?  In the end, the most often heard answer (by me anyway) reverts to the sitting up high which then reverts to the turtled SUV in the median of the snow covered highway.

And did I add that they increase an already bad drivers sense of invincibility?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

Multitude of factors. 

Ease of use.  Easy to get in and out of.  Easy to see out of.  Sense of security.  When you are surrounded by hammers, it is better to be another hammer than a nail.  They are like purses for women.  Cavernous amounts of space to shove all the stuff that women want to carry around.   They are no longer truck like and they are now cool instead of uncool.  They are the anti minivan.  No soccer mom syndrome.    I think is more correct to call most of them crossovers instead of SUV's actually.  

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My wife’s requirement was it must be four wheel drive and seat eight. The back two rows of seats need to be able to fit three cars seats each. She takes being a grandma seriously.

they call those school buses

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Here you go.

https://conversionvanland.com/new-van/j1161857/

You are welcome.

12 minutes ago, 12string said:

Because you get the interior space of a Vista Cruiser in the footprint of a K-car, without being seen in a minivan

Yeah, but you lose that awesome back seat bubble window / skylight thing.   Dad traded in the 72 Vista Cruiser for a 76 Safari Wagon.    I am still a bit bitter about that one.  

I like all the space, all wheel drive is a biggie for me, back a few years being able to move some weight was important, as was off road playing around.

I still need the space, I still like AWD although I don't need low range anymore. So I have a Honda Element & a Toyota Sienna AWD van,

I don't have masculinity issues. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, 12string said:

They didn't get rid of it, just installed it sideways

Image result for ford bronco ii

I had one of those (an '85) in the early 1990s.  The 4WD got a lot of use in VT. 

I really liked it, and given that my next car was a real money pit, getting rid of the Bronco was a mistake.

...I probably never once rode in the back, under the bubble.

4 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I had one of those (an '85) in the early 1990s.  The 4WD got a lot of use in VT. 

I really liked it, and given that my next car was a real money pit, getting rid of the Bronco was a mistake.

...I probably never once rode in the back, under the bubble.

How did you get the girls to be on top every time? 

What the American buying public does to the cars that are made for us.

This is the original Scion XB.  It got good gas mileage, could carry a lot including bicycles (note the size of the rear hatch.) Car cultists called it the toaster and it became an instant hit.

Image result for scion xb

Scion (Toyota) asked the American public what they would like improved on the XB.  The result was the new XB.

It gained several hundred lbs, got the engine from the TC sports car, managed 5 mph less milage and because the bottom of the rear hatch was raised several inches it could no longer carry a bicycle.  

In other words it was styled into a mini SUV, exactly what wasn't really needed.

Scion is extinct.

I think it's the versatility of the SUV's, where what would be the isolated trunk space in a sedan can be used for other things.

I had an AMC Gremlin, an early SUV, I bought in 1977, but orienting it as a cargo carrier was not user friendly.  Every car since then was a sedan until I got a 2013 Honda Fit.  I don't think I'll own anything but an SUV or crossover again!

I LOVE the Fit!  The cargo space behind the front seats is 57.3 cu.ft., more similar to the 68 cu.ft. in Ford Edge than the 30+ cu.ft. in most subcompact crossovers like the Fit.

The back seats can be flattened so it resembles a station wagon :

6.jpg.e26df39a8dcf630f30e05ef2dad48c21.jpg

or the horizonal part of the back seats can be raised so you have a 1.5 foot-wide space running from door-to-door:

2011-Honda-Fit-Interior-Fold-Up-Rear-Seats.jpg.d3d9ebd63971b9fa9054ce12bc9e95d2.jpg

Or, you can have one of the rear seat down and one up:

2011-Honda-Fit-Interior-Folding-Rear-Magic-Seat.jpg.67765026df4a038217127cb60a8c7760.jpg

This works well when you want to haul 2x4x8 lumber and have someone with you - you can get the lumber entirely inside on the passenger side and have your helper sit behind you as the configuration in this picture allows or you can use the extra diagonal length and have your help sit on the opposite side:

2011-Honda-Fit-Interior-Folding-Rear-Seats.jpg.a29b18e50de8593bd8b9e84c828ba4a7.jpg

There's also 24 cu.ft of room behind the rear seats if they're in place.  The above pictures are stock, those following are my fit:

210118536_Rearcargostorage-rearseatsup12size.JPG.5d1c6af236707e627c9c73088c730893.JPG

My bike outside the car:

1320321300_01.BikeinFit-BikeCar25.jpg.8d84f652d1b9fbda2e07e74fafbfde79.jpg

The padding I use to keep the bike from scratching upholstery:

677115070_04.BikeinFit-RearUP25.jpg.2df1b2e79dd3bc8fcc57aadeb8b82fe4.jpg

My bike in the car:

1313433700_07.BikeinFit-InCar25.jpg.59ef29641af38f4d41ac4ededda33562.jpg

We have been considering a Mazda CX-5. Mostly because there are so few station wagon options and I’m thinking I would rather travel with bikes in the car rather than add a bike rack. At least Mazda makes sure even their crossovers have a little “Zoom Zoom”!

That said, I just saw a new Buick station wagon when I drove by the dealership the other day. I can’t believe I’m saying this about a Buick, but it looks really good! I’m sure the sticker will send me back to Mazda’s. Wish we could get the Mazda 6 wagon offered in other parts of the world. 

29 minutes ago, groupw said:

We have been considering a Mazda CX-5. Mostly because there are so few station wagon options and I’m thinking I would rather travel with bikes in the car rather than add a bike rack. At least Mazda makes sure even their crossovers have a little “Zoom Zoom”!

That said, I just saw a new Buick station wagon when I drove by the dealership the other day. I can’t believe I’m saying this about a Buick, but it looks really good! I’m sure the sticker will send me back to Mazda’s. Wish we could get the Mazda 6 wagon offered in other parts of the world. 

I don't know why it isn't done more often, but even a Honda Fit can carry at least one bike inside.

I have a few different SUV's, but the Saturn Vue was my favorite. The Saturn went where I wanted it to go, but I wanted to go more places so I got the JEEP.. Technically a Jeep is considered an SUV, but I will not believe it because it has more FUNctionality then an SUV. 
I will be getting another Jeep in the future, but working on saving for a 1 ton truck and camper first. 

I guess people buy them to sit higher. This makes then see if the light turns green first so they can be the first ones to honk. 
I also guess people like them because they can fit more junk in their trunk. Many people travel by car nowadays compared to airplane. This makes hauling all your first world devices easier. 

I don't quite understand it.  We have more room in our mini van than most SUVs.  Suburbans have room, many others not so much.  We can put a sheet of plywood in the van, the tandem with ony the front wheel off, 4 crates.  We were unable to find anything Ike an SUV that could fit two Airedale crates side by side.

15 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I don't quite understand it.  We have more room in our mini van than most SUVs.  Suburbans have room, many others not so much.  We can put a sheet of plywood in the van, the tandem with ony the front wheel off, 4 crates.  We were unable to find anything Ike an SUV that could fit two Airedale crates side by side.

If you are a dog hauler, nothing beats a van.  They were the handiest vehicle and I had them for 14 years.  That was enough. 

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Minivans have a bad rep.  :(  I was one of the haters until I got sold on the utility of them.  Our Oddity is a dream on the open highway, but too darn big and heavy for around town driving.

In fact, that sumbitch is in such good shape, if it was up to me I would siriusly consider another transmission even with 300k on the engine when this transmission  shits the bed any day now.  But the oil leak does sort of hurt that proposition. :(

20 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

What the American buying public does to the cars that are made for us.

This is the original Scion XB.  It got good gas mileage, could carry a lot including bicycles (note the size of the rear hatch.) Car cultists called it the toaster and it became an instant hit.

Scion (Toyota) asked the American public what they would like improved on the XB.  The result was the new XB.

It gained several hundred lbs, got the engine from the TC sports car, managed 5 mph less milage and because the bottom of the rear hatch was raised several inches it could no longer carry a bicycle.  

In other words it was styled into a mini SUV, exactly what wasn't really needed.

Scion is extinct.

When you design a car only the Cat in the Hat would drive, profit margins are low. :) 

• Haha 2