Where do you get your checks from?

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by maddmaxx,

I order them from the bank .  That's definitely not the cheapest way to go, but I like that they track what numbers I need.  And I use so few that the cost doesn't really matter (plus sometimes the bank will randomly waive the charges).

• Heart 1

I used to get them from my bank, however, they don't actually print them, and when the switched providers and refused to print checks with 5 digit check numbers and were charging a ridiculous price for them, I switched to Carousel Checks.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:24 PM, Philander Seabury said:

I was aboot ready to order from Designer until they added the shipping and handling, 50% of the price.  Maybe jsharrt's router vendor, to get Amazon prime free shipping?

I use a couple checks/year - mainly when I'm sending money to an out of state relative who's graduating or a poor relative to help out. I do every normal payment through auto withdrawal from my checking account, my credit union's bill pay feature, or by credit card.  When I need checks, my credit union provides them for free.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I use a couple checks/year - mainly when I'm sending money to an out of state relative who's graduating or a poor relative to help out. I do every normal payment through auto withdrawal from my checking account, my credit union's bill pay feature, or by credit card.  When I need checks, my credit union provides them for free.

Yeah, you would think a credit union would, but mine never has.  They have basically become a bank. 

There are 8 payments a year that for taxes and sewer to the township can't be paid online or with a CC without a fee.  Might he the same for NJDMV, not really sure.  So I stay above the norm for check writing. 

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yeah, you would think a credit union would, but mine never has.  They have basically become a bank. 

There are 8 payments a year that for taxes and sewer to the township can't be paid online or with a CC without a fee.  Might he the same for NJDMV, not really sure.  So I stay above the norm for check writing. 

Bank of America give us free ones too.  They last a long time (years!) but when I get low, I can order them online and choose from like a dozen basic designs. They do charge for the NFL theme or the Mickey Mouse theme or the other fancy ones, but I'm fine with basic blue, green, or yellow ones.

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

When I retired from teaching in 2006, I lost certain freebies at M&T Bank that came with county teacher direct paycheck deposits. I was amazed at the difference when I joined SECU of MD, a federally insured credit union: no charges for: swiping the Visa debit card - even overseas, no charges for using one of 70,000 available ATM's nationwide, no charges for online banking including bill payment, no charges for checks, 3 month interest penalty for early CD redemption, double the interest rates of banks savings accounts, CDs. and checking accounts, etc. etc.  I have some $2500 5-year CD's there from just before the pandemic that pay 2.1% to 2.85% annual interest.  New ones are paying only 0.65%, but the avg. bank is paying 0.31%.

My sister pointed out around 2012 that most Credit Unions are not limited to people whose occupations match their name and recommended SECU of Maryland (State Employees Credit Union) because it has branches all over the state.  It turns out that there are lots of ways to qualify to open an account including being related to someone who has an account or, my ticket in, having graduated from a public college in the state.

I guess I better hoard my cheques unless I really need them...  mine are from times, where they have printed designs.  Mine have some aboriginal designs. I recently sent a cheque because a major national company asked me to. (they are listed on the stock market.) No other choice. That's ok. It confirms with address on cheque that I'm CAnadian living in Canada right now, plus a pile of other govn't identification I had to give.