i had that talk with the boss

Dottleshead

39 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

the upper crust apparently measures success by the number of bugs found (don't get me started) and the nature of my test pillar does not produce bugs.

So... if you are good at writing code and testing and you don't have many (or no) bugs, your the poor performer?  :facepalm:

18 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Get your resume ready and put out feelers..maybe something will pop for you before they pop you.

This

It's too late for this.

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Start by planting bugs to find, then find them.  Then do it every day until you retire.

I'd say your boss gave you a warning.  Probably because he's fairly certain he will be on the chopping block soon, and he's got noting left to lose. 

• Like 1

When there are some layoffs it creates uncertainty and unease for the people who survive.  It sounds like your boss is dealing with that now.  Who knows what may happen, but it never hurts to make sure your resume and linkedin profile are up to date.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

@Dottleshead  Of course, one doesn't know all things you have done career-wise.  I know some IT guys have moved more on the consulting/management side from pure programming and deep technical knowledge of 1 type of enterprise-wide system to customize it according to business client needs for 15 yrs. of their career before broadening out.

Best wishes on the hunt to get you closer to the marathon finish.

@Dottleshead  Now, you truly understand why I accepted a govn't job @51 yrs.,  with great benefits and perfect match to my experiences, skills and training in Calgary, which required me to live in a different province.  So dearie and I made that work well.  We viewed Vancouver and Calgary homes as each other's 2nd home  to spend whatever amount time each person could/needed. He piled in his computer, clothing, etc. to be comfy...here also. 

But I know he and I weren't entirely "normal" compared to other couples.  But I wasn't going to waste more time after months of searching, interviews with other employers, etc.  Dearie saw it as whole new adventure.

I'm so glad I DID NOT work in oil and gas industry, because 5 yrs. later, there were  massive job cuts and shrinkages in that industry locally. 30,000 people left our area locally 2015-2017.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Dearie saw it as whole new adventure.

Honestly, this is why I contracted for years.  I'd have morons interview me as a contractor and tell me I was just looking for the next best thing.  He didn't know he told me everything I needed to know about his company.  Anyway, I no longer think this is an adventure (well a little bit) at this stage of my career.  Instead of a challenge and eagerness to see what's on the other side, I've worked in enough places to know some companies do some things better in this business but they do so robbing Peter to pay Paul.  In a nutshell it's very similar chit and very cutthroat for existence so it's expected they want folks that will sell out.  I just don't know if I want to sell out -- particularly for the lower wage I'm likely to receive.  This is not in stone but it seems the most likely outcome.

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Honestly, this is why I contracted for years.  I'd have morons interview me as a contractor and tell me I was just looking for the next best thing.  He didn't know he told me everything I needed to know about his company.  Anyway, I no longer think this is an adventure (well a little bit) at this stage of my career.  Instead of a challenge and eagerness to see what's on the other side, I've worked in enough places to know some companies do some things better in this business but they do so robbing Peter to pay Paul.  In a nutshell it's very similar chit and very cutthroat for existence so it's expected they want folks that will sell out.  I just don't know if I want to sell out -- particularly for the lower wage I'm likely to receive.  This is not in stone but it seems the most likely outcome.

I actually went up in pay scale. The previous job was a contract job.

The govn't employer valued that contract job experience for a large construction engineering project on info. management side. After all, govn't has to manage large big-ass public infrastructure projects and records info. mgmt. on a large/complex scale.  With the public yelling and screaming about accountability ...well, then we must have records evidence to show for it.

Anyway if there is a common thread of work experiences to show you have elevated experience PLUS fantastic people skills.  Which technical folks don't always have at the forefront.

Just now, shootingstar said:

I actually went up in pay scale. The previous job was a contract job. The govn't employer valued that job experience for a large construction engineering project on info. management side. After all, govn't has to manage large big-ass public infrastructure projects and records info. mgmt. on a large/complex scale.  With the public yelling and screaming about accountability ...well, then we must have records evidence to show for it.

Government beauracracy is not for the meek.  Working for a private company like Boeing which is in bed with the FAA is mind blowingly painful.  I don't know.  Maybe I'll go teach for the healthcare industry.  Instruct people how to use the software. Less money but a lot less stress.

• Heart 4

32 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Tell me true.  Did you ever attempt suicide?? :lol:

You mean working for gov'nt?  I had previously also worked for provincial govn't for 12 yrs, in Ontario, also 1 yr. for provincial British Columbia legal aid.  Interpersed with all this, several global and national private sector firms. (engineering, law and accounting).

****The better situation is to have a manager who themselves tends to be organized and sharp good player with other parallel and senior managers. That they are conscious of helping paving the way, to make your job a tad easier, not perfect, but liveable.

Dottles what I loved the most for all jobs, was the sheer range of internal clients, their different problems and working styles. I always saw it as an ongoing opportunities to llearn about their world, while I was sussing out their info. business needs, teaching them certain software and corporate standards.  To me, client work kept me sharp, challenged to learn how to partner with them to solve problems.  My job was to inspire them to change their work habits for change management/business transformation, also some of them were internal leads for their business units, so I had help them understand they were change agents. To train others.

In effect, I was the train the trainer.  I was 1 of 6 staff in a central corporate team in last job. It was my job to also  instill confidence that they could do it after mastering software features and corporate standards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

AI will be coming into it's own and soon they'll figure out how to eliminate tech jobs too.

Maybe... this is a blessing in disguise? 

You have an opportunity to find something to do before there are thousands of tech people pushed out the door because AI replaced them and they flood the market looking for jobs too. 

Good luck with this.

• Like 1

Just now, Bikeguy said:

Maybe... this is a blessing in disguise? 

You have an opportunity to find something to do before there are thousands of tech people pushed out the door because AI replaced them and they flood the market looking for jobs too. 

Good luck with this.

Still one of my favorite posters. Thank you.

One of the nice things about having given thought to preparing for retirement is that it gives you more freedom in a potential job search. I know a number of people who wanted out of their jobs, but weren't mentally ready to retire yet.  So they took either part time jobs or full time jobs that didn't have as extensive time requirements. They didn't match their prior incomes, but they made enough that they weren't drawing on their retirement savings, had medical insurance and also had a nicer quality of life with less stress.  This gave their savings a chance to grow while they sort of transitioned to a retirement.

Yep. Update that resume. Companies who are strictly numbers driven can be very problematic. Our company tries to do a “velocity” based system that reflects research and testing time as well as tickets and tasks completed. It’s not perfect but more fair than many. 
in my past job, I had to be eyes and hands for the IT dept of a Spanish corporation. They were quite the opposite. I would see an issue and know what needed to be done, but I didn’t have access so I would have to request their assistance. On my next visit, they would claim there was no problem, but what I had issues with was now working.  I guess if nothing was wrong, that was their measure of success. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kirby said:

One of the nice things about having given thought to preparing for retirement is that it gives you more freedom in a potential job search. I know a number of people who wanted out of their jobs, but weren't mentally ready to retire yet.  So they took either part time jobs or full time jobs that didn't have as extensive time requirements. They didn't match their prior incomes, but they made enough that they weren't drawing on their retirement savings, had medical insurance and also had a nicer quality of life with less stress.  This gave their savings a chance to grow while they sort of transitioned to a retirement.

Spot on. And brilliant. I’m at that point I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Well yesterday I had my review and for the 3rd straight year I did not see a bump in salary.  Yesterday, there was a lot of time spent by my manager giving me background on the new regime change and about how he didn't have his new manager's ear. He personally thanked me for my hard work and contributions.  So I found out last week that our company bonus was paying out at 107% and yesterday he told me my personal modifier was only 50%.

(annual salary) x 8% x (company modifier) x (personal modifier) = bonus

I have always received a personal modifier of at 90%.  Nothing ever less.  This year as a company we have excess and they are only giving me half of it.  It's personally a slap in the face --- I know it and you know it -- and the writing has been on the wall.  My bonus is going to be almost half of what I had calculated it to be. Look, I'm appreciative that I get a bonus and that money will come in handy.  But when viewed as a litmus test to how much I'm valued, again it's in the dumpster and sending a message.  I'm not happy about but I'm not going to sit around and sulk.  The real question is how I should respond?  What would you do?  I believe my personal manager is trying to save me but he's fighting off his managers who would like to see me and other members on my team get slashed.

• Hugs 4

2 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Well yesterday I had my review and for the 3rd straight year I did not see a bump in salary.  Yesterday, there was a lot of time spent by my manager giving me background on the new regime change and about how he didn't have his new manager's ear. He personally thanked me for my hard work and contributions.  So I found out last week that our company bonus was paying out at 107% and yesterday he told me my personal modifier was only 50%.

I have always received a personal modifier of at 90%.  Nothing ever less.  This year as a company we have excess and they are only giving me half of it.  It's personally a slap in the face --- I know it and you know it -- and the writing has been on the wall.  My bonus is going to be almost half of what I had calculated it to be. Look, I'm appreciative that I get a bonus and that money will come in handy.  But when viewed as a litmus test to how much I'm valued, again it's in the dumpster and sending a message.  I'm not happy about but I'm not going to sit around and sulk.  The real question is how I should respond?  What would you do?  I believe my personal manager is trying to save me but he's fighting off his managers who would like to see me and other members on my team get slashed.

office space my stapler GIF by Maudit

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Get looking. Preserve cash. And do the absolute minimum required. :dontknow:

I agree with the last two statements. I’m not motivated to do much of anything. Definitely goodbye to those late nights. But I question whether I should be looking or not. If I’m let go there’s a severance due to me that’s pretty good. 6 months worth to be exact and then I can file for another 6 months of unemployment. Heck, that’d be enough time to ride my bike to you.

• Awesome 1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

@Dottleshead  Best of luck.  At least you did get a bonus. 

Look around now..of course you gotta be careful not to pre-empt anything.  

I am grateful.  It should be enough to eliminate some nasty debt accrued this last year (money well spent but nonetheless spent).  But I was hoping to get the full amount and use that as part of the buffer in case termination comes.  It leaves me with less reserves in the pantry than I'd like.  Still being out of debt and going into debt with uncertainty is better than being in debt and going further into debt with uncertainty. Err -- something like that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I also don't trust companies.  It's in writing that if I'm laid off, they will pay me severance.  But there are ways around that. 

I totally agree. A company may find ways around it. You probably have a good manager that you report to.  However he's only human, not made of Teflon to protect in future.

In some areas of govn't when you don't get a salary increase if that's in writing...there are no mechanisms around it.  Especially if one is in management category.  Former employer: all management classified staff haven't had a salary increase for past 4 yrs. or something like that.  No bonus.  Because such info. is open to the public.   Yes, unions did negotiate increase each time contract is renewed and that is also info. available to public.

I really find it interesting that some people think all govn't managers slide on their asses. Some do ,while others take alot of public heat and work hard. Some general managers, have 3,000+ employees under them, with 10 sr. middle managers reporting direct to them, yet the general manager is earning approx. $200,000CAN.   The public shouldn't get too irate, if they only knew  the degree of public scrutiny and pressure to deliver services decently and hope someone doesn't get stabbed, dies or severely injured.

10 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Look Kazabooboo, you are now reminding me of my jealous cat that passed.  Totally awesome but couldn't handle sharing the love with others.  @12string doesn't get enough love in my view.

Well that just hurt my feelers.  

I'll remember this when you are unemployed and come crawling for a job.

2 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

dont-pet-me-cat-gif.gif.f292d28843dce8de06d13f80121a6513.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

If I’m let go there’s a severance due to me that’s pretty good. 6 months worth to be exact 

But how do you know this? Severance is like bonus and is at the whim of leadership.  They are not legally obligated to give a severance and if your bonus got hosed, severances could too.

I live by the motto of more options are better than less options.  Starting to look for other opportunities gives you more options.  You may find there is nothing out there better than your current situation but at least you know.  Or maybe you’ll find something better.

But unless you start that process you will never know.  If I were in your shoes (and I had been) I’d be looking…

• Heart 1