Is anyone looking forward to the Winter Olympics.

maddmaxx

I like downhill skiing, esp. giant slalom.  I also like the snowboarding half pipe stuff.  Exciting to watch.  Curling is strangely appealing, almost like it is happening in real time slow motion.  The short track speed skating is the NASCAR of winter sports and I like that.

Winter beach volleyball would be good.  I bet the Brazilians would put on a good showing.

Yes, I will watch lots of it, except ice dancing.  Blades of Glory ruined regular ice dancing for me.  Now, if Will Ferrell and John Heder show up, I will watch.

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I can't say I'm excited about them but I will watch. 

+1. 

59 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Curling is strangely appealing, almost like it is happening in real time slow motion. 

+1 again.

Clearly today I am incapable of an independent thought.

• Awesome 1

I'm guessing figure skating will make its appearance at some point on our TV.  Maybe as background noise I will play some of the other stuff. Can't really think of anything that excites me in the Winter games - on TV.  In person, I would pretty much love to see the luge/bobsled/skeleton events and imagine ski jumping and hockey would also be fun to see.  

Tom

9 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

How could I forget ski jump?

Brits do have an odd fascination with ski jumping.

My friend just got back from a trip to Europe and he stayed in Garmisch hoping to get a day of skiing. While there, he met a Brit who was solely there to photograph ski jumpers. Odd way too spend vacation time.

Tom

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

Yes, I will watch lots of it, except ice dancing.  Blades of Glory ruined regular ice dancing for me.  Now, if Will Ferrell and John Heder show up, I will watch.

I believe the skaters in Blades of Glory were pair skaters, not ice dancers.  :nodhead:   Ice dance is where all the drama is. 

On 1/7/2018 at 5:36 PM, maddmaxx said:

and although it's boring to watch I really appreciate the skill involved in the biathlon.

in past times I would do burpees right before shooting.  It looks a little funny at the range, but anyone with half a brain in their head can figure out what you are trying to accomplish.  Can also run hill springs if you have a hill nearby.  It's a lot harder to hold your sight on a target. 

5 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

in past times I would do burpees right before shooting.  It looks a little funny at the range, but anyone with half a brain in their head can figure out what you are trying to accomplish.  Can also run hill springs if you have a hill nearby.  It's a lot harder to hold your sight on a target. 

Aside from the obvious fitness training requirements there seems to be a strategy involved between how fast you can ski and still keep your breathing and heart rate under control for shooting.  Those penalty laps can erase a lot of fast ski work.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

They sort of spoiled it a bit when they changed the penalty for poor shooting scores: you used to have to flog it around a 200m circuit x times before continuing with the X-country course, now they merely slap some extra time on your overall, which is a much less cruel spectacle.

• Heart 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

Never curled in my life and find it moderately boring.  Much like a football game played between the 18 yard lines.  The game is also Scottish in origin. :) 

I know about the Scots, I find the origins of the game interesting, and I'd love to actually play it on a frozen loch surrounded by mountains, with hot lentil soup with barley and a dram on hand, but watch it? nah.

13 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I know about the Scots, I find the origins of the game interesting, and I'd love to actually play it on a frozen loch surrounded by mountains, with hot lentil soup with barley and a dram on hand, but watch it? nah.

Right there with you peds. That seems like the best way to enjoy the sport. 

I don't have TV service so I probably won't see anything unless I try to find it online. I think fatbiking and broomball should be Olympic sports. Especially if they stopped for breaks to drink beer. 

33 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

You should acquaint yourself with the 9th end in curling.  It is much like the 19th green for that other fine Scottish game. :)