How many indoor plants do you have?

Allen

I don't have any now - my last two were a Christmas Cactus and a Wandering Jew I gave away during the dark days when my shoulder was injured and I didn't feel like taking care of them. I should get a few plants now but have to convince myself I won't forget to water a couple of them - maybe a couple herbs, too.

I used to have about a dozen including a miniature Tangerine tree that I kept indoors in the Winter that I finally got rid of because I didn't know they had thorns - I kept scraping my legs on them when I vacuumed.  I understand there are some varieties that are virtually thornless, but moving the heavy, huge pot in and out twice a year is more work than I want to do now.

My first house plants came from an unusual source.

In the 80's I was President of my Community Association and there was a Woolworth's next to the vacant store that a strip-mall owner let us use as our headquarters.  My father would attend evening meetings with me and he noticed that there were always a lot of pieces of plants lying on the sidewalk that Woolworth's night staff didn't sweep up after they moved their plant display tables in from the sidewalk before they closed for the day.

Within a year, my father grew at least 50 plants from those "cuttings," giving most away to neighbors, friends, and relatives - including me. This was before the Internet and Google (or even HotBot) and we didn't know what kind of plant some of them were and were sometimes surprised with flowers.

• Awesome 2

Aboot 5, 3 of them stay on the patio in warm weather-a palm, mandevilla, and a philodendron-like one with yellow highlights on its leaves. We used to do a hibiscus but gave up after a couple of them croaked. 

Oh, forgot we have a poinsettia. They usually dry oot after a few months of winter. And the wife does have a basil plant on the kitchen sink window. And she bought two rosemary bushes for daughter #1 that look like mini Christmas trees and are quite fragrant not to mention flagrant (inner Jessie's Jackson talking). 

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A dozen or two.  And the spider plants are always making new ones my wife can pot up and give away.  We've had a few for almost 20 years.

I used to have spider plants. I can’t remember when that ended, I think it was a very busy year and a lot on my mind. I think I put them outside and forgot to bring them back in. I had monkey plants too. Those were fun, I think they met the same fate.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I used to have spider plants. I can’t remember when that ended, I think it was a very busy year and a lot on my mind. I think I put them outside and forgot to bring them back in. I had monkey plants too. Those were fun, I think they met the same fate.

Our rule is generally that a plant needs to be able to survive neglect.  If we go on vacation for two weeks and return to near dead plants, ones you can water & resurrect are what we need and have.  Wimpy ones have no place in our home, since only the strong will survive.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Depends on how you count them.  I have 4 plants split between 2 pots.  The African violet and Christmas cactus share a planter in the kitchen, and a geranium and some weird greenery thing share a pot by the front entrance.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I think he’s talking about potted plants, not planted pot. :D

It's a plant, it's indoors, and it's all I want to talk about regarding this topic.

The stuff is ridiculously expensive to buy, and you never really know how they grew it.

It costs me maybe 1/4 as much, and I know there are no pesticides or anything in there.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1