So do you get bonus’ as part of your compensation plan?

ChrisL

Most of my career I managed P&L so was bonused on fiscal performance.  Some companies had straight forward plans, others were discretionary and one had a bonus plan that was nearly impossible to attain and in my 7 years with the firm not a single GM bonused.  

My best bonus was 2009 where we had numerous lawsuits hit my P&L in 2008 tanking the year and we had a 120% improvement year over year in 2009.  The bonus plan was simple, whatever % you improved your profit percentage was the percent of your salary in bonus!  Kaching!!!!

I’m eligible for 20% annual salary based on my position and it’s descretionary.  They have been pretty generous with bonus from what I have seen so far though.

Any of you working stiffs besides me & @bikeman564™ get bonus?

I never got a bonus as an industrial chemist and I never got a bonus as a teacher, but...

I was offered the chance to take courses to qualify for AP and other advanced teaching positions and was paid to take them at night or in the summer.

And the certifications and other qualifications from them resulted in about a 10% permanent salary increase above what I'd get without them which, of course, also resulted in about a 10% higher pension.

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My best bonus was 2009

Funny, best for some worst for others. This was the worst year of my career. Because the crap hit the fan in 2008, 50% of my company was let go, and the remainder of us were working 32 hr weeks, not knowing what the next would bring.  Luckily it came back gangbusters.

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Funny, best for some worst for others. This was the worst year of my career. Because the crap hit the fan in 2008, 50% of my company was let go, and the remainder of us were working 32 hr weeks, not knowing what the next would bring.  Luckily it came back gangbusters.

Well... I was laid off from that firm in 2010 when the company as a whole tanked....  Good thing I didn’t totally blow that bonus! 

• Heart 2

Bonuses were regular payouts at various credit unions I worked at. Bonuses were tied to defined organizational goals. The better the performance, the higher the bonus. The best year was a 16% bonus. $14,240 before taxes, $8,000 something after taxes. Bonuses will be lean for a year or two. Low interest rates = low margins in banking. 

I remember one year at a company annual meeting (it was a small privat firm) the CFO went over fiscal performance for each department.  Each department was below prior year performance so Didnt bonus.  She then said West Region was the only department to improve & slid an envelope across the table to me saying congratulations.

The cheapskate owner snatched the check with cat like reflexes shouting No, No Chris had too much Overtime no bonus!!!!  The table went from clapping to utter silence, we all just glared at the owner.  The rest of the meeting was a complete Dud, he lost the room...

During the subsequent year every department head quit including me... Well I got laid off days before accepting another job...  Jackass owner ended up in jail for payroll tax fraud... Jack ass had it coming.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My wife got a $12,600 bone us. Her long term disability company claimed they made a mistake over a year ago and we had to pay back the overpayment.

this makes me furious every time I hear about it.

I do not get a bonus.  I do have deferred compensation which pays out if I stay here until 2024.  I may nto make it.

• Hugs 1

No I do not get a bonus...at least in the union I automatically belong into (we don't have a choice to opt out).  Whenever I've worked in the public sector, I never got a bonus.  It wouldn't take much for that to be revealed publicly.

Public disclosure how we spend money...can be real. And happens...any time. Easily.  I'm just amazed how much bonuses can be in some large private sector firms....and shareholders (if publicly listed firm) don't need to be informed especially for middle management and lower.

When I worked in private sector, some firms provided a bonus. Sometimes it was performance bonus, sometimes it wasn't.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I used to get a $5 cafeteria coupon.  They stopped that years ago.

I used to get a bunch of these monthly at Raytheon.  The campus was so large that you could spend your entire lunch walking to your car & back so most used the company cafeteria which was actually really good.

Anyway I would give them to my staff for good performance.  They were a hit with the team. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Public disclosure how we spend money...can be real. And happens...any time. Easily.  I'm just amazed how much bonuses can be in some large private sector firms....and shareholders (if publicly listed firm) don't need to be informed especially for middle management and lower.

Yeah one thing in the private sector is pay & benefits is not public information. In CA there are laws on medical & vacation plans, if it’s offered for one class of employee it has to be offered for all in that class. Other than that it’s discretionary.

Many execs here drive super high end cars and live in coastal mansions. Our CEO just bought a $60 million mansion. My take is good for them, I don’t know what they earn and don’t care.  Just don’t ruin the company...  

One thing I have done is break off a chunk of cash for team members that aren’t eligible for bonus.  I have probably given $10K of my own bonus away over the years.

• Awesome 1

Yeah... I got an annual bonus based on performance and the companies performance. 

One year I exceeded all of my goals.  My annual review was incredibly good.  I was on track to get a bonus of 30% of my annual pay.  Our bonus were paid in the first week in March of the next year. Between the annual reviews (for all) in early January and the date the bonus was to be paid, the company had a financial issue.  ALL bonuses were reduced to ZERO.  I wasn't happy...    That was a LOT of money lost.  :angry:  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah one thing in the private sector is pay & benefits is not public information. In CA there are laws on medical & vacation plans, if it’s offered for one class of employee it has to be offered for all in that class. Other than that it’s discretionary.

Many execs here drive super high end cars and live in coastal mansions. Our CEO just bought a $60 million mansion. My take is good for them, I don’t know what they earn and don’t care.  Just don’t ruin the company...  

One thing I have done is break off a chunk of cash for team members that aren’t eligible for bonus.  I have probably given $10K of my own bonus away over the years.

Kind of you to offer some cash from your bonus to some team members who deserve it, Chris.  Do they know that you gave up part of your own bonus?  

It is via a Freedom of info. request (a legislated process), if member of public wanted to know if we received any bonuses.  Our salaries are disclosed publicly on our recruitment Internet sites.  No secrets there.  Our compensation benefits pkg. is on our public Internet site ..to stop the flood of same old questions to HR. 

Sometimes names of employees are listed with the salary especially those earning $100,000+ annually.  

I truly wish some people stop bitching about what public sector employees get.  Alot of information is given out....  and if not given out, a citizen can ask via formal channels. The requestor is tracked.

I believe in provincial law, defines how vacation and breaks is legally defined.  Breaks is an occupational health and safety requirement by law.  I know because I even checked for my father...he worked for a better restaurant who followed the law re paid vacation, etc.

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Kind of you to offer some cash from your bonus to some team members who deserve it, Chris.  Do they know that you gave up part of your own bonus?  

It is via a Freedom of info. request (a legislated process), if member of public wanted to know if we received any bonuses.  Our salaries are disclosed publicly on our recruitment Internet sites.  No secrets there.  Our compensation benefits pkg. is on our public Internet site ..to stop the flood of same old questions to HR. 

Sometimes names of employees are listed with the salary especially those earning $100,000+ annually.  

I truly wish some people stop bitching about what public sector employees get.  Alot of information is given out....  and if not given out, a citizen can ask via formal channels. The requestor is tracked.

I believe in provincial law, defines how vacation and breaks is legally defined.  Breaks is an occupational health and safety requirement by law.  I know because I even checked for my father...he worked for a better restaurant who followed the law re paid vacation, etc.

Yeah since a financial  gift from a supervisor is considered taxable income we aren’t allowed to do what I did.  So I gave them cash in an unmarked envelope and told them thanks for helping make bonus.  Now this never happened and I’ll deny any knowledge of this discussion. Get the F out of my office & bring in the next person... 

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I remember one year at a company annual meeting (it was a small privat firm) the CFO went over fiscal performance for each department.  Each department was below prior year performance so Didnt bonus.  She then said West Region was the only department to improve & slid an envelope across the table to me saying congratulations.

The cheapskate owner snatched the check with cat like reflexes shouting No, No Chris had too much Overtime no bonus!!!!  The table went from clapping to utter silence, we all just glared at the owner.  The rest of the meeting was a complete 

That, is horrific. 

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

During the subsequent year every department head quit including me... Well I got laid off days before accepting another job...  Jackass owner ended up in jail for payroll tax fraud... Jack ass had it coming.

That, is sweet, sweet karma. 

37 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah since a financial  gift from a supervisor is considered taxable income we aren’t allowed to do what I did.  So I gave them cash in an unmarked envelope and told them thanks for helping make bonus.  Now this never happened and I’ll deny any knowledge of this discussion. Get the F out of my office & bring in the next person... 

I wasn’t a supervisor and didn’t get a bonus but I had a great crew and we were able to make an incredible amount of money by working hard and smart. The other jobs not on a press crew probably worked half as hard but didn’t have any chance to make extra money unless they worked overtime. I sometimes would order pizza for the entire shift, if they didn’t do their job I wouldn’t be able to mine at the level I did. It takes a lot of pizza to feed thirty guys. 

• Heart 4

Construction lives & dies by the project. 2010 bonus was ~30%. 4 years later they were functionally bankrupt. 

Latest company teased me by saying they’d paid a bonus every year for 31 years. I got ~4% for the first two years. Meh, but better’n nuttin. Last year was nuttin’ b/c we absolutely cannot manage the bigger projects. This year will be nuttin’  b/c we absolutely cannot manage the bigger projects. OTOH, with the OT I’ve had b/c we absolutely cannot manage the bigger projects, I’m already about 10% above my annual salary with 9 weeks left to go. 

• Heart 3

On 11/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, Bikeguy said:

Yeah... I got an annual bonus based on performance and the companies performance. 

One year I exceeded all of my goals.  My annual review was incredibly good.  I was on track to get a bonus of 30% of my annual pay.  Our bonus were paid in the first week in March of the next year. Between the annual reviews (for all) in early January and the date the bonus was to be paid, the company had a financial issue.  ALL bonuses were reduced to ZERO.  I wasn't happy...    That was a LOT of money lost.  :angry:  

Suck it up, like I said, I no longer get my $5 cafeteria coupon.  How do you think that makes me feel?  (Actually, I never used it, I gave mine away)