Suez Canal blockage is delaying an estimated $400 million an hour in goods

Bikeguy

The thing that I wonder about....   The canal is indeed narrow.   Why not use that to help?  

I'd guess...  several Cat D9 bulldozers (or bigger if they can find them) and some cables... well placed on the land could pull a LOT more then a tug boat could.  They could rotate and pull the ship and they could still used the tug boats to help.

:scratchhead:

27suez-canal-stuck-ship-photos-square640.jpg

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

The thing that I wonder about....   The canal is indeed narrow.   Why not use that to help?  

I'd guess...  several Cat D9 bulldozers (or bigger if they can find them) and some cables... well placed on the land could pull a LOT more then a tug boat could.  The could rotate and pull the ship and they could still used the tug boats to help.

That, and if they injected canal water into the sand around the nose of the ship, the sand would fluidize.  Once in that state the friction would reduce dramatically and the bow would pull free.

Sure, fluidizing the sand would mess up the bank of the canal and sand would flow into the canal, but then they could get an ordinary dredge or two to quickly clean that up.

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'd guess...  several Cat D9 bulldozers (or bigger if they can find them) and some cables... well placed on the land could pull a LOT more then a tug boat could.  They could rotate and pull the ship and they could still used the tug boats to help.

14 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

That, and if they injected canal water into the sand around the nose of the ship, the sand would fluidize.  Once in that state the friction would reduce dramatically and the bow would pull free.

Sure, fluidizing the sand would mess up the bank of the canal and sand would flow into the canal, but then they could get an ordinary dredge or two to quickly clean that up.

IMO they are worried about the vectors of the forces involved.  The friction is being applied to the very bottom of the ship and pulling forces are applied high enough that they fear capsizing the ship.  At this point they say that even unloading the containers in an improper order could do the same.

22 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

Ships of that size that are going to be sing the Suez Canal should be required to have bow and stern thrusters to help prevent that sort of problem.

It is 1300 feet long and 200 feet wide, of course they have bow thrusters. I am surprised with only a single prop that they do not have stern thrusters

15 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I wondered about this to, but with it drawing almost 50 feet of water, I wonder how much contact with the bottom they have.  And with the tapered bulbous bow, if they are worried about instability.

40 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

It is 1300 feet long and 200 feet wide, of course they have bow thrusters. I am surprised with only a single prop that they do not have stern thrusters

I wondered about this to, but with it drawing almost 50 feet of water, I wonder how much contact with the bottom they have.  And with the tapered bulbous bow, if they are worried about instability.

I've read they are very concerned about capsizing the ship.  They even worry about the possibility of having to unload the containers going sour if not done perfectly.

• Heart 1

Plan B    I'm reading they are preparing for the possibility of needing to remove a bunch of containers from the bow of the ship, to lighten the load so it hopefully will float again.

Until then... they are hoping the high tide may help. 

Now I'm reading that this can possibly cause a TP shortage.  :frantics:    

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Plan B    I'm reading they are preparing for the possibility of needing to remove a bunch of containers from the bow of the ship, to lighten the load so it hopefully will float again.

Until then... they are hoping the high tide may help. 

Now I'm reading that this can possibly cause a TP shortage.  :frantics:    

Everything causes a TP shortage.

• Heart 1

They've managed to get a little movement out of the aft of the ship. They have a dredge pulling sand and rocks out from under it right now. They are also hoping that the higher tide over the next couple of days helps. If not, then there is already a crane on the way from Alexandria along with a couple of empty container ships. They will remove some of the forward containers to lighten the bow.

So I have a serious solution.  Build a temporary wall or "lock" around the ship.  Use big concrete blocks to stack up and put some sort of a rubber seal between them.  Pump a shit ton of water into the "lock".  Float the damn thing.  Get some big assed loaders or dozers on the side to get the bow pointed in the right direction.  Pump out the water.  Hold the damn boat still.  Remove blocks and send that bastard on it's way.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

So I have a serious solution.  Build a temporary wall or "lock" around the ship.  Use big concrete blocks to stack up and put some sort of a rubber seal between them.  Pump a shit ton of water into the "lock".  Float the damn thing.  Get some big assed loaders or dozers on the side to get the bow pointed in the right direction.  Pump out the water.  Hold the damn boat still.  Remove blocks and send that bastard on it's way.

My idea was to put giant flotation devices around the ship and lift it up. Also have Jacqueline Bisset swim around and inspect the work.

jacqueline-bisset-the-deep.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

My idea was to put giant flotation devices around the ship and lift it up. Also have Jacqueline Bisset swim around and inspect the work.

Seeing as Ms Bissett is only equipped with a pair of giant flotation devices, might it make sense to have a few more sets in use so we make sure there is enough to get the job done?  From my understanding, these monster sized container ships weren't really as big back in her day, and it might just be wise to bring in some back-up help.

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The ship grounded away from shore initially partly due to unusually low water depth and wind that didn't help it.

They've been trying to do everything to get it afloat except remove the some of the thousands of containers, which would take weeks.

Sheeeeot.  I could unload within a matter of minutes.:)

Top 30 Tanker (ship) GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Apparently, that's the same ship that smashed the German ferry 2 years ago.

Wind did this?  They said 30MPH gusts.  I'm having a hard time belieiving that's uncommonly high for that area.  Maybe that ship is just too big?

Might be time to rethink stacking all those containers so high.  They're on pace to set a record this year for the number of containers lost at sea.  Was this the year we hit the "how high can we stack 'em?" answer?