Are you loyal to a particular brand of peanut butter?

Kirby

When I was growing up, my family was a dedicated Skippy peanut butter family and I stayed loyal to skippy until I switched to a "natural" peanut butter that doesn't have added ingredients.  I was discussing peanut butter with some friends and I was surprised how adamant most people were about their favorite brand, even though they price shop for most other groceries.

So how about you?  Do you stick with a particular brand or will you buy whichever one is on sale?

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am with you.  No sugar, natural stuff, not for kids.  Brand unimportant if you check those boxes.

This - not really committed to any particular brand, though Trader Joe's offering seems to have a little something extra that I like.  Not sure what that is.

But as a kid, Jif was my #1.

• Like 1

No, because I haven't had peanut butter at home for last 4 decades. 

However, towards the latter part of my teens, my mother started to buy local.

I have peanut butter on toast at hotels.  I know, my diet is kinda different in some key areas than others here.  I don't even buy butter for home.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I have peanut butter on toast at hotels.

It’s available at the hotel breakfast because lots of people eat peanut butter on toast. I choose peanut butter for toasted bagels. 

• Heart 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

It’s available at the hotel breakfast because lots of people eat peanut butter on toast. I choose peanut butter for toasted bagels. 

Sometimes, I toast some bread. Butter it. Then slather on some peanut butter!

SOOOOOO TASTY - especially on an English muffin (or two or three)!

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My wife was having apple and PB about 1/2 hour ago.  She is a PB nut like me.  She does celery and PB regularly too. Or just PB.

I tried powdered PB2 that you add water and it turns into higher protein peanut butter. Bleh…

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1

Unless I try making a savoury peanut sauce ..more on Southeast Asian dish (which can be yummy), for me to have a whole container of peanut butter at home might take time to finish it.  Anyway I only have bread at home (for occasional sandwich) once a month or so.  

I occasionally have crackers at home...but it's more a dried fruit crackers.  So incompatible with peanut butter.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I hardly ever eat it any more. My wife buys the “Natural” that still seems to be loaded with palm oill.

Now you're making stuff up!

Only one ingredient goes in PB - peanuts. Only two ingredients go in salted PB - peanuts and salt.

Palm oil goes in ... well, hopefully not much!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I hardly ever eat it any more. My wife buys the “Natural” that still seems to be loaded with palm oill.

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Now you're making stuff up!

Only one ingredient goes in PB - peanuts. Only two ingredients go in salted PB - peanuts and salt.

Palm oil goes in ... well, hopefully not much!

Some brands add palm oil so it doesn't separate. I bought it by mistake once. I did not like it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Unless I try making a savoury peanut sauce ..more on Southeast Asian dish (which can be yummy), for me to have a whole container of peanut butter at home might take time to finish it.  Anyway I only have bread at home (for occasional sandwich) once a month or so.  

I occasionally have crackers at home...but it's more a dried fruit crackers.  So incompatible with peanut butter.

Oh thanks for the reminder!  I’ll be making peanut sauce for satay this Sunday.   I better check to be sure there is enough. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Why I only trust peanut butter name brands:

When I was a kid, my cousin George's Russian grandmother (she called me "My-chah") got some kind of government assistance back in the early 60's when they were emptying WW2 warehouses of cheese, peanut butter, etc.

George and I grabbed the gallon of peanut butter, hid it from his siblings, and thought we were so lucky.

But it was so thick it stuck to our esophaguses and we writhed on the floor in cramp-like pain. I was so scared for George for a few minutes that I can still clearly see in my mind his agonized face staring at me but unable to talk.

Every since, I've stuck to name brands.  I don't care if it's Jif or Skippy, as long as it's chunky or, preferably, extra chunky.

I used to use it very effectively in mouse traps when I used to get a lot every winter before my house was rebuilt.

I love to coat slices of apple with it.

• Hugs 1

I read labels, only one ingredient should be in peanut butter and that is peanuts. The large grocery stores have a dozen brands of “Natural”peanut butter and since Smuckers started adding salt a year ago they all fail the test. I have two places that make their own with just peanuts. Still have to read the label because they also make one with salt added.

10 hours ago, Further said:

I have a PB & jelly sammy for breakfast damn near every day.

PB&J is my go to lunch. Fast, easy, and delicious.  I get the stink eye from my wife, though, if I eat one EVERY day.  I'd say 4 times a week is just under her threshold. But a great lunch option.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I read labels, only one ingredient should be in peanut butter and that is peanuts. The large grocery stores have a dozen brands of “Natural”peanut butter and since Smuckers started adding salt a year ago they all fail the test. I have two places that make their own with just peanuts. Still have to read the label because they also make one with salt added.

I disagree! :D I agree that peanut butter only NEEDS to be ONE ingredient - peanuts.  But I prefer salted PB, and having them do it for me is more efficient.  Likewise, I like crunchy, but if I wanted creamy, it makes most sense to have them do the "creaming".  In any case, anyone's PB should contain ONLY what they want, and not what some manufacturer thinks makes it more shelf stable, a nicer color or texture, or shaves a few pennies off their own cost.

• Heart 1