Sad day in the Dottles household today

Dottleshead

So sorry.  My wife had two cats from the same litter.  They both had kidney disease and had to be put down.  She took the first cat in and it was very hard on her.  When it was time for the second cat to go, I took her to the vet instead.  It was hard for me as well.  

• Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So sorry.  My wife had two cats from the same litter.  They both had kidney disease and had to be put down.  She took the first cat in and it was very hard on her.  When it was time for the second cat to go, I took her to the vet instead.  It was hard for me as well.  

Yeah she began paying for a vet to make house visits because it was so hard on her (and my wife) to rip her out of her environment. I approve of this but that means doctor death is coming over to end her life in our home. I think.

• Hugs 1

36 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I approve of this but that means doctor death is coming over to end her life in our home. I think

My niece preferred in-home euthanasia for her dog last week, Friday I think. I would like to have. It would have saved the moment when I had to walk back through the waiting room with Sapphire’s body in a duffel bag and the rising murmur of “aww” as everyone else realized what had happened. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

When Beemer was put down at the vet's office I had to walk out before the needle went in.  Oldest son stayed with him.  I was outside completely broken down.  He was never supposed to be our cat.  We picked him up for a friend of one of the outlaws and while we were driving him there the friend changed her mind and didn't want a cat.  He had been riding in my lap and I said he's not going back. He's coming to live with us.

I know how you feel Dots.  I've been there too many times in the last 51 years.

• Sad 1

I'm so sorry.  It's never easy to lose a loved member of the family.  I hope you and Mrs Dottles take some comfort in giving the cat a wonderful life for so long.

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

nearly 19 years of life. 

She is like our only child. 

I understand that.  Over the years we have had 5 dogs that passed.  We had their love and companionship between 3 1/2 years and 14 years while they were living with us.  It's always a sad when they pass. 

We still have all of the memories.   

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 1:47 PM, Dottleshead said:

My wife has decided it's in the best interest of her cat to put it down after nearly 19 years of life.  It was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney disease almost 4 years ago and we have done everything in our power to maker her last years on the planet as comfortable as she can be.  She really has declined the last couple of weeks and particularly the last couple of days.  She is like our only child.  I'm not enjoying it and WoDottles is taking it hard.  Vet is scheduled to show up at 3 p.m. PST to put her down.  It's a weird day.

Sorry of you and the cat where 19 years of bonding makes the end that much sadder.

Some people say cats are too aloof.  My sister adopted young, feral cats the county had captured and they generally keep their distance from any strangers in the house.  When my sister and husband travel to visit their son, etc. I'm the one that feeds the two dogs and two cats.

Now, one of the cats will jump on my lap when I'm at my sister's house and purr.  The other will rub its head against my leg but still doesn't want to be picked up.  That's friendly enough enough for wild-born cats that I enjoy that a lot.  It's like Elsa coming back out of the wilds with her cubs in "Born Free."

• Like 1