I need your opinion on a saltine related matter

Kirby

I was just getting lunch in the cafeteria and saw someone get a container of soup.  They have saltines by the soup to take with you soup.  Do you think there is a limit on the  number of saltines you can take with your soup?   How many would you take (there is both a small size soup and larger, if that matters).   I'm not sure what the appropriate limit is, but pretty sure this guy exceeded it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I was just getting lunch in the cafeteria and saw someone get a container of soup.  They have saltines by the soup to take with you soup.  Do you think there is a limit on the  number of saltines you can take with your soup?   How many would you take (there is both a small size soup and larger, if that matters).   I'm not sure what the appropriate limit is, but pretty sure this guy exceeded it. 

I'd exceed it if the soup was large.  Depending a lot on the soup, I really enjoy crumbling them up and dropping them in the bowl. Then repeating until I've had a soup and a loaf of "bread".

• Heart 4

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd exceed it if the soup was large.  Depending a lot on the soup, I really enjoy crumbling them up and dropping them in the bowl. Then repeating until I've had a soup and a loaf of "bread".

Yea, if I am eating tomato soup I like a lot of crackers in it.  I crumble them up as well.  Saltines are good, but ritz or club crackers are way better. 

• Heart 4

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Ain't nobody giving those away free!

What about oyster crackers?

They will do in a pinch.  But I put them way down on the cracker scale.  Below saltines for sure.  Unless they are extra buttery for some reason.  That would boost them up a little. 

Two packs with small soup, up to 4 packs with large soup.

Back in the day, a bar in College Station Texas called the Dixie Chicken had a small sandwich counter in the back.  They also had a cracker barrel and you could just reach in and grab a handful of crackers to have with your beer or sandwich, or whatever.

I guess the health department considered this unsanitary, so they switched to sleeves of saltine crackers.   It was not uncommon to get a pitcher of Lonestar beer and a sleeve of crackers and find a table to play some dominoes.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What ever you are going to eat.  If you're taking them home you're a thief.  Don't laugh.  We had people at work taking toilet paper home from the storage bin in the rest room.  There are people who never saw a free item they couldn't abuse.

You are describing my ex MIL AND FIL. Scoring ketchup packets was the ultimate in sticking it to the man.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

They will do in a pinch.  But I put them way down on the cracker scale.  Below saltines for sure.  Unless they are extra buttery for some reason.  That would boost them up a little. 

... with these five simple sentences, you have marked yourself as a cracker philistine.  Oyster crackers are the best crackers for this purpose, because they are small enough to not require crumbling.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, 12string said:

Who ever decided it was saltines that go with with soup?  Why not Oreos?

I have some oreos for that.  Osomaxx sent them from China.  One flavor is hot wings (they are not quite awful) and the other flavor is wasabi and it is probably too bad to even dip in soup.

12 minutes ago, Have a Nice Day said:

I think saltines are an excellent cracker.  I grew up on saltines and tomato soup, and saltines with peanut butter or just butter, or saltines and jelly.

You haters should reconsider your stance for the nostalgic value at least.

Now I want saltines.

Saltines and hot sauce is another option

• Heart 1

As many as you want, long as you put them in the soup.

Slightly related, All you can eat offers, do you eat all you can ?

Back in the 70's I knew couple big ol boys from New Hampshire. They went to an all can eat clams & beer thing. Several dozen clams & a few pitchers of beer into it the owner offered their money back if they would leave now...:D 

• Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Have a Nice Day said:

I think saltines are an excellent cracker.  I grew up on saltines and tomato soup, and saltines with peanut butter or just butter, or saltines and jelly.

You haters should reconsider your stance for the nostalgic value at least.

Now I want saltines.

Saltines are the ultimate budget comfort snack. :)

• Heart 2

Whenever I would travel with my parents, they'd have saltines and peanut butter as a snack in the hotel room (usually to go with a whisky sour).  But there was always a debate on whether you put the peanut butter on the salty side or the flat side.   My Dad was the sole person who'd put the peanut butter on the flat side  :nodhead:

25 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Whenever I would travel with my parents, they'd have saltines and peanut butter as a snack in the hotel room (usually to go with a whisky sour).  But there was always a debate on whether you put the peanut butter on the salty side or the flat side.   My Dad was the sole person who'd put the peanut butter on the flat side  :nodhead:

I've never considered putting it on the salty side.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Salty side is always free and facing down in my family. 

• Confused 1