I now have two teen drivers in the house

jsharr

5 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Been there. Good luck. And now the Mrs seems to believe its our responsibility to buy our grandkids all of their first cars too.  :scratchhead:

Want to adopt two really good boys?  Both Scouts, very polite, both were in ROTC.  My parents did not buy any of the grand kids cars. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Want to adopt two really good boys?  Both Scouts, very polite, both were in ROTC.  My parents did not buy any of the grand kids cars. 

Mrs wanted to give our granddaughter my car. I guess I can just walk to work. :angry:

Lucky for me its a stick shift and kids today don't want to learn how to drive manuals. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, team scooter said:

Mrs wanted to give our granddaughter my car. I guess I can just walk to work. :angry:

Lucky for me its a stick shift and kids today don't want to learn how to drive manuals. 

Ryan would dig a manual.  Wade, not so much.  Wade is a sloth and Ryan is a squirrel on speed.

• Heart 2

My wife hired a professional drivers trainer for our boys to teach them to drive so we would get a discount on insurance. It didn’t work, he didn’t teach them how to drive on ice and snow and one son totaled his car on a icy downhill. Insurance rate doubled. That was the last car we bought that didn’t have anti-stop brakes.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Further said:

?

Contrary to the fake statistics that show antilock brakes stopping a car quicker than regular brakes we discovered you need to allow more stopping distance on icy roads or you will go sailing right through the stop sign at the end of our road while the computer does a tap dance on your brake pedal. Lucky for us there is seldom any traffic going the other direction. (How did you like my mile long sentence?) That’s how long it takes to stop a car with anti-stop brakes.

• Heart 1

16 is too young to have a driver's license.  scary.

couple things I did with my kids when they were starting.  They didn't get my permission to drive alone when they got their license.  I made them wait, until I decided they were ready, not some half blind retired guy at the DMV.  Mostly, for the message it sent that driving is a bigger responsibility than just filling out forms and passing a standard test.  I didn't give any of them a car.  When they were ready to drive to school, I let them borrow my truck - the 3rd vehicle.  And they had better take care of it, and if I or my wife needed it, they had to find another ride.  Just reinforcing that this isn't a total freedom to do whatever, you still need to answer to other people.  And that truck they all started in was a series of old 2 door short bed beaters.  Keeps the number of passengers down, nothing worth racing, who cares about another dent, other drivers gave them plenty of space.  And, they had to pay for their own gas, and turn wrenches when needed.