Blizzard Panic now!

BuffJim

27 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Who’s getting a blizzard this weekend? We’re not getting an official one, but will have extremely high winds and lake effect snow. Just in time for the Bills playoff game on Sunday.

They should have lost to Miami last week.  :nodhead:

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Blizzard warnings have been posted starting around noon for west Michigan.  Every school system in several counties announced they were closed by late this afternoon.

It's been snowing since Tuesday here. The pass is closed. The canyon was closed. Schools are open and they are making teachers use comp time if they couldn't get to work today.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Who’s getting a blizzard this weekend? We’re not getting an official one, but will have extremely high winds and lake effect snow. Just in time for the Bills playoff game on Sunday.

We are scheduling work at our office in Victor NY for Sat…. I’m wondering if weather will prevent them from getting it done? 

23 minutes ago, Airehead said:

What county is Lancaster, NY in?  Should I be worried?

Lancaster is Erie County. First half of Saturday will be an extreme wind event, with power outages and trees and power lines down. Snow will crank up Sat evening and travel will become terrible in spots. Sunday it just depends where the snow squalls are, cause they’ll move back and forth over the region. 

1 hour ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Rain here tonight and into early morning. We’re saturated but they’re only calling for one inch of rain. Snow on Tuesday, maybe two inches. I am skeptical. 

Yep - hope the rain finishes by midnight. And the 2" snow never materializes.  

Hope all our posters getting hit with the bitter cold temps stay inside and warm . Some very cold temps in Alberta, Montana and Michigan being predicted among other places.

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

Lancaster is Erie County. First half of Saturday will be an extreme wind event, with power outages and trees and power lines down. Snow will crank up Sat evening and travel will become terrible in spots. Sunday it just depends where the snow squalls are, cause they’ll move back and forth over the region. 

Bad as it's been I'll settle for the excess water rather than the rest.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

We are scheduling work at our office in Victor NY for Sat…. I’m wondering if weather will prevent them from getting it done? 

They’re probably out of the lake effect snow band, but may still have high winds and some synoptic snow.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, BuffJim said:

We've got snow forecast for next week but highs above freezing so there will also be sleet and freezing rain on Tues., and Fri.

Partly because Central Maryland doesn't get enough snow every year to spend money on lots of snow removal equipment and because a lot of people aren't used to driving in snow, we get a panic at the stores if they call for a 1 inch dusting.

That's why I got my food shopping for next week done on Wed. and Thurs.

Today I'm making a one-pot potatoes, green beans and ham dish that will last a few meals, plus some 24 oz frozen portions of my homemade chili, ham and bean soup, and my tweaked version of Martha Stewart;s Savory Fall Stew.  That will get me to the Ravens game next week (forecast around 30° and sunny in Baltimore Sat and Sun) where I'll probably watch the game with my brother, SiL, and nephew and we'll get subs or pizza and I'll bring scoop corn chips and my homemade, canned corn and cherry tomato salsa.  It's very good but not great, and I'm going to try some modified versions with cumin. etc.

Here's the recipe, kicked up a notch at the bottom by @MoseySusan:

Corn and Cherry Tomato Salsa

From: Ball Corporation - Ball canning back to basics a foolproof guide to canning jams, jellies, pickles, and more (c.2017)

Makes about 6 (½-pint) jars

Ball: This tasty salsa will remind you of summer even when there’s frost on the window panes.

My version on left and center, Ball picture on right:

20231022_154936.thumb.jpg.109269d0e317e7b9989cd57228892219.jpg THICK-CherryTomatoandCornSalsaafter3days202310132.thumb.jpg.973aa69ab6dd40ee88278ab715a9fe11.jpg image.png.40838e55e5193f1c3aa8cac1ac1e4b2c.png

1 ¾ pounds cherry tomatoes, quartered

1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 large ears)

½ cup finely chopped red onion

¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)

3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1 teaspoon table salt

1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced [note: I subbed one bell pepper]

1. Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a large stainless-steel or enameled saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Ladle the hot salsa into a hot jar, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the jar rim. Center the lid on the jar. Apply the band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place the jar in the boiling water canner. Repeat until all the jars are filled.

3. Process the jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove the [canner] lid, and let the jars stand 5 minutes. Remove the jars and cool.

NOTE: The use of fresh lime juice in this recipe is for the purpose of fresh flavor and has been verified as safe by scientific testing.

MoseySusan's comment on SquareWheelsCycling 10/12/23:

And will make a nice tamale pie when mixed with ground beef and beans then topped with a cornbread dough and baked. Some complementary spices are warming without being “hot” on the tongue, like cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, or ginger.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Kirby said:

Hope all our posters getting hit with the bitter cold temps stay inside and warm . Some very cold temps in Alberta, Montana and Michigan being predicted among other places.

I need to shovel the drive and walk before it freezes else it will ne a skating rink until March.  Last night it snowed, then rained then snowed again.  It is a terrible combination.  The only snow blowers I've seen working are the 2-stage.  Single stage doesn't cut it.

• Hugs 1

We have lots of wind. I brought in a bunch of firewood yesterday. I worked out in the blowing snow sawing and splitting wood. Then it rained all night and melted all the snow. Now it’s snowing again and still very windy. Our power has stayed on yay :cheerleader:

Snow is done here until tomorrow. We’re at the top extent of this snow and, most of the time it will be south of us over Buffalo and even farther south. May come back and give us a couple hours of intense snow in the morning. High winds are still with us for the rest of the night.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Silly said:

How close to Mr. Pizza are you?  

If you go then let us know so we can see you on the cam like @sheep_herder did in Miles City.

When my Not Wild Sister was visiting Buffalo, I had her go pose by the Mr Pizza Webcam. I think her husband thought we were both nuts, but he was a good sport about it. :nodhead:

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

55 minutes ago, Kirby said:

When my Not Wild Sister was visiting Buffalo, I had her go pose by the Mr Pizza Webcam. I think her husband thought we were both nuts, but he was a good sport about it. :nodhead:

As the Wildest Sister, I can tell you are trying to corrupt you Not Wild Sister.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I remember that!

• Hugs 1

Officially we got about a foot of snow here. Though nearby isolated areas got much much more. Yesterday we tested out our new snowmobiles when our son and his friend came up to ride. First time in years that the trails were able to be open for more than a few hours, so they were crowded. Our son wants to ride today but its -12 as I type. Don't know about the Mrs, but I'm staying inside until its above zero at least.  :whistle:

The new sleds preformed flawlessly. Never even got stuck in the three foot drifts. Wish I had stopped to take some pics during the ride. But while riding with others, its takes time to stop and pull out the phone...

bliz 24 1.jpg

bliz 24 2.jpg

bliz 24 4.jpg

bliz 24 3.jpg

• Awesome 1