Do you break your pasta in half before you cook it?

Randomguy

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I normally do, this time I didn't.  

It seems weird to have half your pasta sticking up out of your boiling water.  I also don't like endless swirling of pasta just to get it on your fork.

It’s a nuisance when eating a hand-pulled pasta Chinese restaurant dish.  Love the skill of the noodle maker!

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I normally do, this time I didn't.  

It seems weird to have half your pasta sticking up out of your boiling water.  I also don't like endless swirling of pasta just to get it on your fork.

That’s why you should eat pasta boobs, no swirling required.

• Like 1

I did, because my Dad did. Then I learned why you shouldn’t from a dear lady I met in Naples Italy. She said all pastas have a soul. When you break the strands in half,  you break their soul. Yeah, long strands don’t easily fit in the pot of water and one end sticks out. But in less than a minute in the pasta hot tub, the noodles soften and it all fits into the pot to cook (usually 11 minutes for al dente). If you don’t like long noodly appendages on your plate pick another pasta; there’s plenty to choose from. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

She said all pastas have a soul. When you break the strands in half,  you break their soul.

You took the advice of a lunatic, it seems.

I can be persuaded by reasonable arguments, but I tend to get a little questiony when someone like the Italian chick gives a vague answer without real reason behind it.  It would have been more persuasive to me if she said something non-hippielike, such as "It is the way Italians do it, maybe try it for a while and see if you prefer it that way, too" or somesuch, 

Maybe someone can give a real answer at some point, but there is nothing to suggest that breaking it gives a worse result  or not breaking it gives a better result.  Tradition as a reason for doing something is silly, in my mind.  "Yeah, we have always done the bullfighting thing, it is tradition" only means that it is either an unexamined tradition, or that it is horrible excuse to be cruel to animals, for instance.  Sometimes traditions are fine and fun, though, but it helps to drag these things into the light of day and really take a magnifying glass to them from time to time.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I'm gonna guess breaking pasta wasn't the only thing you learned you did wrong then........

Did you know it’s possible to load a dishwasher wrong? If you’re married, you know. 

• Haha 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

it helps to drag these things into the light of day and really take a magnifying glass to them from time to time.

?

How does one do that to a bull?  Ants, sure, we used to do that all the time, but doing that to a  bull seems like a great way to break an elbow in half.

34 minutes ago, 12string said:

?

How does one do that to a bull?  Ants, sure, we used to do that all the time, but doing that to a  bull seems like a great way to break an elbow in half.

Never stage a bullfight in pasta water.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I'm lost re dishwasher loading.... is it so calamatious for her vs. your technique?

Fortunately we don’t have this issue, if anything I’m more anal about dishwasher loading as WOChrisL will load stuff haphazardly & then it won’t get clean…

• Hugs 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Fortunately we don’t have this issue, if anything I’m more anal about dishwasher loading as WOChrisL will load stuff haphazardly & then it won’t get clean…

Admittedly I don't have a super set pattern every time for every dishwasher load. However, I have learned never to put a pile of tall big dinner plates near front of the bottom rack load ..that's for sure and other truisms.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

This thread has convinced me that breaking pasta is the right thing to do, not a single valid point for not breaking it is listed. 

I believe that uniform cooking will produce better results.  If it takes ten minutes for your pasta to cook to al dente, then the half sticking out of the water will be slightly crunchy because it will miss a full 10% of the cooking time, and your pasta will be inconsistent.  It could never be as good as it could be if you don't break it.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

This thread has convinced me that breaking pasta is the right thing to do, not a single valid point for not breaking it is listed. 

I believe that uniform cooking will produce better results.  If it takes ten minutes for your pasta to cook to al dente, then the half sticking out of the water will be slightly crunchy because it will miss a full 10% of the cooking time, and your pasta will be inconsistent.  It could never be as good as it could be if you don't break it.

But then there is the crunchiness of burnt schpaghetti.  So a tad of crunchiness might be nice. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Ralphie said:

But then there is the crunchiness of burnt schpaghetti.  So a tad of crunchiness might be nice. 

Well, there is that.  I just like to know reasons is all - if I am doing something because everyone else tells me to, that just feels like religion to me.  I do think it easier and cleaner and more sensible to break it, but I know not everyone thinks like me.

Speaking of crunchy spaghetti, have you ever done this?  I will eventually, just haven't yet...

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think longer pasta is easier to get/keep on a fork. So no, I don’t break my spaghetti/linguine or Angle Hair noodles.

What if it was twice as long, or as long as a broomstick or a skyscraper?  

There's no two ways about it: Italian food has a lot of rules. However, some of those rules are made to be broken, just like this extra-long pasta from Italy.

It's hard to visualize just how long our extra-large Giadzy Pasta shapes are without a frame of reference. At 22 inches in length, they're almost as long as two foot-long sandwiches laid end-to-end, or four dollar bills lined up in a row. That's more than twice as long as a standard noodle!

That supersized span isn't just a flight of fancy, but a reminder of the early days of pasta manufacturing in Italy. Before it was easy to cut pasta into smaller shapes with bronze dies and the machinery available today, local pasta makers would dry  their pastas in much longer forms and hang them to dry over dowels or even clotheslines! It was up to each customer to break them by hand to their desired length, usually to fit into whatever pot they were cooking in.

Classic Long Pasta In Italy

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think longer pasta is easier to get/keep on a fork. So no, I don’t break my spaghetti/linguine or Angle Hair noodles.

WRONG!  Smaller chunks don't need endless twirling trying to fit one strand on the fork, then watching it fall partially off as you lift it.  Soooooo much easier with shorter pasta lengths, and you don't look like a toddler trying to master a fork for the first time.

32 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Maybe you can get a spork so that all of your eating is similarly effortless.

I would like video of your linguini or spaghetti flailings, just to confirm my suspicions.  Extra napkins for you, naturally!

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

twirling trying to fit one strand on the fork, then watching it fall partially off as you lift it

Eat the spaghetti from the outside edges of the pile. It takes less twirling and you get a sensible portion on the fork. 

My mom broke spaghetti in half because the amount she cooked for nine people better fit into the pot she had when it was shorter. 

My pasta pot is big enough for four portions of whole spaghetti strands, so I don’t break it.