It is a sad day.

Dirtyhip

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is not funny at all. 

Because they want your money or reminder of aging/mortality?  

Anyway, I've taken advantage for discounts at the pharmacy...starts at 55 yrs. to get the discount once a month.  A Filipino cashier asked me....if I was a senior.  I had on my bike helmet and cycling jacket.  Whenever I remember..to use the discount.  :) which hasn't been that often.

I will turn 59 in a few hrs. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

We don't get that type of stuff..  

Anyway, I've taken advantage for discounts at the pharmacy...starts at 55 yrs. to get the discount once a month.  Whenever I remember.. 

Everything ends.  There is no escape.

Thanks, Wilbur.  That was funny.

Honestly, this makes me scared.  I am not ready. I'm supposed to be this badass athlete.  I accepted the disease I live with.  Now, I am heading into the realm of an officially older person.  I know how old I am, but the mailer just freaks me the hell out.  

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Honestly, this makes me scared.  I am not ready. I'm supposed to be this badass athlete.  I accepted the disease I live with.  Now, I am heading into the realm of an officially older person.  I know how old I am, but the mailer just freaks me the hell out.  

Putting aside the disease, you have a huge head start to a long and healthy life DH.  Keep it up kiddo!  But you are right, reminders suck! :angry:

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Anyway, I've taken advantage for discounts at the pharmacy...starts at 55 yrs. to get the discount once a month.  A Filipino cashier asked me....if I was a senior.  I had on my bike helmet and cycling jacket.  Whenever I remember..to use the discount.  :) which hasn't been that often.

I will turn 59 in a few hrs. 

And an early happy birthday.  Have a great tuesday.

• Heart 1

It is not that bad, and when you are a little older their Medicare Advantage and Rx plans are solid with good ratings. Other stuff, here is a hint. If you see envelopes with pre-sort bulk postage, chunk it. It is just advertising from their 'preferred' vendors like Hartford insurance.

If it makes you feel any better, when I was in my early 40's and obviously too young for AARP, decided to pull off the Interstate for a motel rather than drive through. Normally, I plan and have reservations, but this was impromptu. I asked if they had any rooms and the rate. He had a room and said the Senior rate is... Told my wife and she would have killed him if said that to her, but I just accepted the discount. 

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Everything ends.  There is no escape.

Dirtyhip....my partner cycle toured with 4 panniers and his trailer.  He was 58 when he took early retirement.  Then thereafter he did do several cross-Canada and into U.S. trips by bike on his own by the time he was 69 yrs.  Because I'm with him, we get the hotel discounts, Greyhound bus, etc.  Take advantage of discounts because they might go away later..

I feel actually the..opposite.  It's been freeing....psychologically and physiologically.

As for medical care in Canada...and eligibility, there's some (small) subsidy if one is poor and disabled.  But no difference in "cost" or care, I get the same care at 60 yrs. as I did at 30 yrs. if it was the same medical problem.  I just show up at the doctor's office or hospital with my health care insurance card.

• Heart 1

DH, you have always been, and will always be badass! Turning 50 and doing all you do will only make you more so! 

I ran my first marathon at 50. The next year I ran my best half marathon and made the podium at a big area duathlon! People much younger can’t keep up running or cycling. 

Here’s the thing. Most who view 50 as a negative aren’t there yet. I know more over 50 really enjoying their lives!

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Putting aside the disease, you have a huge head start to a long and healthy life DH.  Keep it up kiddo!  But you are right, reminders suck! :angry:

Thanks.  

19 minutes ago, groupw said:

DH, you have always been, and will always be badass! Turning 50 and doing all you do will only make you more so! 

I ran my first marathon at 50. The next year I ran my best half marathon and made the podium at a big area duathlon! People much younger can’t keep up running or cycling. 

Here’s the thing. Most who view 50 as a negative aren’t there yet. I know more over 50 really enjoying their lives!

Thanks.

and I ran out of paper towels today.  There is a life span to everything.  ;)

3 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

LOL DH your birthday isn't til September....you gotta rock 49 for a bit yet :hapydance:

I got a call on Thursday...when I sent the day waiting for the dang cable dude...asking about my medicare coverage :runcirclsmiley: I hung up on them :whistle:

My birthday is not in Sept. It is sooner.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Have you considered the possibility that the advert was likely miss addressed? And then the postman delivered it to the wrong house

pin the mailer on your coaster bike. All the young uns will be ashamed and mortified they got whupped by a senior. They also will probably buy you a beer

• Heart 3

Just now, Scrapr said:

Have you considered the possibility that the advert was likely miss addressed? And then the postman delivered it to the wrong house

pin the mailer on your coaster bike. All the young uns will be ashamed and mortified they got whupped by a senior. They also will probably buy you a beer

It had my name.  Plus, timing due to the impending birthday.

I need to make the mailman afraid of me, before he brings more old people mail. :D

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

It had my name.  Plus, timing due to the impending birthday.

I need to make the mailman afraid of me, before he brings more old people mail. :D

Kill it. Kill it with fire

I'd probably give the mailman a vegan cupcake to make those get misdelivered

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I have Medicare.  It's not bad if you don't need to use it.  I hang up on them too.:angry:

"Lady, I'd be selling pork chops for $0.99 a pound if I didn't have any either"  Famous old punchline.  ;)

So long as I can get insurance through womaxx I'm at medicare level A only.

• Heart 1

I have lied about my age to get a senior discount, twice in fact.  Both times were when I took RO to the movies and had to wait in line, and saw a sign that had age-related discounts advertised.  I looked at the employees and figured they were stupid teenagers who had no ability to recognize ages.  I saved a few bucks by being older than I am.  

I don't feel bad about this at all.

13 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I will be 50 this year.  FUCK!

DH makes 50 look badass! 

There are times I'm not thrilled with getting older, like when things creak that didn't creak before.  But I also look at some of the new hires and I'm glad that I don't have 40 plus years to retirement.   Each stage in life has had its pluses and minuses and motivated, passionate people tend to be happy no matter what stage they're at.

(I find the AARP magazine has some useful articles :dontknow: )

• Heart 1