Do you have a Phd?

Wilbur

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Was it worth the effort? 

LOL, you're adorable.  Not me.., way too stupid for that.

WofZ looked at it a couple years ago but determined with her time left in the workforce, she would never re-coup her expenses to make it worthwhile

• Heart 1

Just now, Zephyr said:

LOL, you're adorable.  Not me.., way too stupid for that.

WofZ looked at it a couple years ago but determined with her time left in the workforce, she would never re-coup her expenses to make it worthwhile

I figure I could do it in 3 years.  From a fiscal standpoint, it would make 0 cents.  :)  It would just be the challenge. I have never really pushed myself academically. 

My wife is very studious, and also wanted the challenge.  But once she started looking at the costs, she sort of walked away.  I was considering doing a Masters degree until I saw teh work my wife put into it, and I changed my mind.  Just no real desire to go back to a courses like that

I have an EdD which is a practical application of a PhD in my world.  I am also working half-azzed on a PhD in higher education but that will take another year or so-- I don't have to do another dissertation but I want to do more research on my original topic.

I feel like going to school is a very good hobby.  Expensive like buying bikes but exercises the brain muscle.  For me, it also ensures a retirement job as a part-time college professor.  I don't want to work 70 hours a week forever.

I highly recommend it and study helps ward off the evil dementia. 

• Heart 3

My daughter does.

I just have two Masters Degrees

Was it worth it? While Charles Schwab paid for the MBA, shortly after getting it, they laid me off. It may have actually worked against me. Bad enough laid off 2 days before my 50th birthday, but banks and others would look at it and assume that I wanted too much.

Yes and yes, it was the only path to have a career in research as a lead scientist.  Career in research won out over money. If one views it strictly from an economic standpoint, it is not profitable. Someone that finishes a BS or MS degree and goes to work, will be making money and gaining seniority while the person seeking a Ph.D. will not be earning as much and in some case spending money on housing, food, etc. One way it might be possible is if one moves from research into a management position in a big lab, etc., but that was not what I wanted. I was fortunate to have financial aid for both the MS and PhD and my wife worked. Would I do it again? You bet in a heart beat. I've had a good career in rangeland research and have no regrets. My wife has her MS, but had no desire to study for a PhD.  She likes to do a variety of things, and would find the narrow focus needed to attain a PhD very tedious.

• Heart 4

39 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I got a BS and stopped.  Took some classes to get my MBA, but never really felt like it.  Now with less than 15 years to retire, spending 50k to get a masters just seems silly.

At condo board meeting, my partner told me of a guy who said he had his engineering degree , retired recently and got his Master's in Education.  For whatever reason this was a prelude, to offering to be on the condo board.

I have BA and Masters.  My partner has undergrad in civil engineering. Then he took 7 years to finish his MBA by taking evening courses.  He loved the learning.  His firm also helped pay tuition. (That was um...45 yrs. ago...) The firm got their investment back, since dearie stayed with firm and did have some management jobs, other biz analyst roles.  There is a difference between an engineer and an engineer with a business degree....it's how they speak and write without falling down into techie details.  It's quite noticeable.

2 family members have PhD  --a brother-in-law in engineering sciences. He is an Associate Prof or full Prof.  His son got his PhD in biochemistry.

Having some level of education is useful. Even better is to keep learning from others throughout life. 

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

I have an EdD which is a practical application of a PhD in my world.  I am also working half-azzed on a PhD in higher education but that will take another year or so-- I don't have to do another dissertation but I want to do more research on my original topic.

I feel like going to school is a very good hobby.  Expensive like buying bikes but exercises the brain muscle.  For me, it also ensures a retirement job as a part-time college professor.  I don't want to work 70 hours a week forever.

I highly recommend it and study helps ward off the evil dementia. 

How on earth do you manage..with your job and pressures?  Ok, you have children right?

When I go to school after I retire....I will be loading up on art courses. I'm not aiming for a 3rd degree, I just need more techniques and coaching.  So far while working full-time, I've taken 6 art courses in evenings or weekend.  Itch for doing art can be suppressed but not forever in me.

• Heart 1

I don't, but my wife's best friend has one and she's constantly worried about her student loans. Her old professors want her to go teach at her alma mater but the pay cut would be too severe for her to be able to support herself and pay the loans.

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Yes and yes, it was the only path to have a career in research as a lead scientist.  Career in research won out over money. If one views it strictly from an economic standpoint, it is not profitable. Someone that finishes a BS or MS degree and goes to work, will be making money and gaining seniority while the person seeking a Ph.D. will not be earning as much and in some case spending money on housing, food, etc. One way it might be possible is if one moves from research into a management position in a big lab, etc., but that was not what I wanted. I was fortunate to have financial aid for both the MS and PhD and my wife worked. Would I do it again? You bet in a heart beat. I've had a good career in rangeland research and have no regrets. My wife has her MS, but had no desire to study for a PhD.  She likes to do a variety of things, and would find the narrow focus needed to attain a PhD very tedious.

So from now on it’s Dr_Herder.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I figure I could do it in 3 years.  From a fiscal standpoint, it would make 0 cents.  :)  It would just be the challenge. I have never really pushed myself academically. 

...go for something worthwhile, like a PhD in human sexuality.  Dr Ruth is getting old, and she won't be around forever.

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

So from now on it’s Dr_Herder.

Not needed, as I did the time for the career I wanted.  I never was one for titles and recognition, although recognition was needed for advancement.  My career was fun, with a good balance of outside/inside work. I learned after about 15 years that I much preferred research to teaching or administration and luckily found a situation in Montana that fit the bill for the remainder of my career from 1988 to 2006. That is probably more information than you wanted or needed.:whistle:

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

I got my bachelor's and by then my once-plentiful supply of scholarly ambition had run out.  I don't feel like the lack of a higher degree has impacted me or held back my career.

Not that I could, but a PhD in the tech world gains you very little. By the time you finish, the technology has changed. Bachelor's is all you need to be successful in my world. It's already paid for several PhDs.

3 hours ago, Couch_Incident said:

I regret not following my dreams as a child of obtaining a PhD in physics.  Well, it's not really truly a regret.  It's more of a resentment of being way too fucking stoopid for such a task. 

Many of you may not know this but, I'm a freak'in idiot. 

Couch 

We need some secrets around here!  There you go confirming my suspicions again.. :) 

8 hours ago, 12string said:

careful - that's not "free" when you get the bill from the IRS.

If they are getting a PhD...they are not on your tax return. They file their own...and have their own personal deduction rather than adding their income to yours when your deduction is already used up.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, Chris... said:

My daughter is in line for a job at her University. If she takes it she said she will get her Ph.D., free tuition.

That is a little understood concept where the further you go, the cheaper it gets.  My son works at Yale in HR. With their huge endowment, virtually every PhD student is free, where Batchelor and Masters are expected to pull their own. My brother is a dean at an Osteopathic medical school. Notable, as he interviews potential students for admissions, and almost universal question they ask is "How much are you going to pay me to attend." 

My daughter's combined Masters/PhD program was fully paid. She worked as a TA/RA which helped with housing, meals, daily budget and tuition was waived with a book allowance.She was accepted at 5 schools and two couldn't pay her which eliminated them. Another one had an administrative mess up. She got a rejection letter from a school she wanted to go to (which devastated her) so she accepted the offer at SUNY Stoneybrook. The day after that, the Professor at the rejection school called excited that they would be working together. OOPS...Admissions sent out the wrong letter...and she stayed with Stoneybrook.

16 hours ago, Tizeye said:

That is a little understood concept where the further you go, the cheaper it gets.  My son works at Yale in HR. With their huge endowment, virtually every PhD student is free, where Batchelor and Masters are expected to pull their own. My brother is a dean at an Osteopathic medical school. Notable, as he interviews potential students for admissions, and almost universal question they ask is "How much are you going to pay me to attend." 

My daughter's combined Masters/PhD program was fully paid. She worked as a TA/RA which helped with housing, meals, daily budget and tuition was waived with a book allowance.She was accepted at 5 schools and two couldn't pay her which eliminated them. Another one had an administrative mess up. She got a rejection letter from a school she wanted to go to (which devastated her) so she accepted the offer at SUNY Stoneybrook. The day after that, the Professor at the rejection school called excited that they would be working together. OOPS...Admissions sent out the wrong letter...and she stayed with Stoneybrook.

Although different scenario a similar situation for me. I just have a Bachelors but I have a professional certification that requires CEU's to maintain and so I've attended all sorts of seminars, classes and online training courses which my employers have paid for. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, sheep_herder said:

My wife has her MS, but had no desire to study for a PhD.  She likes to do a variety of things, and would find the narrow focus needed to attain a PhD very tedious.

Congrats on you for earning one.  The narrow focus you mention here would trip me up also.  I think I have the brainpower to earn one, but I would struggle with 5 or 6 years devoted to a very narrow thesis, which I would probably have grown tired of. When I finished my BS in accounting, I set my sights on the CPA license, which I attained while working and making a decent salary. Frankly office politics in academia can be brutal and one person can set you back a long time.  Finally at my time of graduation, the topics that the PhD accounting students were pursuing just didn't interest me.

Two of my brothers have PhD's, one is at University of Illinois, and the other is permanent at American University in Beirut, but temporary at University of Florida.

To answer some of the others, never in my life have I had the need to dig a posthole.

17 hours ago, Tizeye said:

If they are getting a PhD...they are not on your tax return. They file their own...and have their own personal deduction rather than adding their income to yours when your deduction is already used up.

The problem is that the IRS will see the full cost of the tuition, fees, etc. as taxable income.  What is a year of PhD school worth?  And, because they aren't paying any tuition, there's no deduction.