Do you like the 4th of July?

Randomguy

5 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I do, but only because I get a day off work. I really don't care either way for the fireworks blah blah blah. We don't have a dog anymore so we don't have to worry about a stressed out pooch. Cook some food on the grill, drink beer and American whisky, that's about it,

I am not a rah-rah America guy. I was just born here is all.

It is better than lots of third-world shitholes, but seems worse than most civilized countries in many ways. 

I like the day off. 

• Heart 1

I love my country, but other than getting a day off work, It's not my favorite holiday. Can't see the fireworks from my house. And because I'm doing like Old #7 with the beer and Scotch Whisky, I don't drive to the fireworks displays.

Plus most years I have to work the next day. This year I may go to my Brother In Laws house in the hood for a BBQ, and forego the Whisky til later.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

• Heart 2

The 4th of July was my parents' anniversary.  They had 61 years of a very happy marriage, so our 4th of July celebrations were always combined with their anniversary celebration.   I have very good feelings about the 4th.  Plus they usually play 1776 on tv that day, and that's a great movie (except for some boring parts)

• Heart 3

...when I was a kid, back East, the 4th was my favorite holiday.  I loved all the neighborhood excitement, and all of us kids running around with sparklers.

When I got to the stage of stoner hippie degenerate, the 4th was still my favorite holiday, getting baked and going to the big fireworks shows at the beach.

Then I moved to California and took a job with the fire department.  Now I absolutely hate the 4th of July. :angry: When everyone who works here at fire is bidding for which days they can take vacation (goes by seniority), the 4th of July always gets sold out first.  I once came pretty close to dying, running around dragging a hose, in the dark, at night, down by Cal Expo here in the woods on the 4th.

There's a 30, 000 acre wildfire going on right now in Yolo, the next county over from me, and when I ride around town I see all these fireworks stands, many run to raise money for schools and other charitable causes. It is absolute insanity to allow the sale of fireworks anywhere in the state of California in the summertime.  Yet we continue to do so with no regard for the consequences.:facepalm:

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...when I was a kid, back East, the 4th was my favorite holiday.  I loved all the neighborhood excitement, and all of us kids running around with sparklers.

When I got to the stage of stoner hippie degenerate, the 4th was still my favorite holiday, getting baked and going to the big fireworks shows at the beach.

Then I moved to California and took a job with the fire department.  Now I absolutely hate the 4th of July. :angry: When everyone who works here at fire is bidding for which days they can take vacation (goes by seniority), the 4th of July always gets sold out first.  I once came pretty close to dying, running around dragging a hose, in the dark, at night, down by Cal Expo here in the woods on the 4th.

There's a 30, 000 acre wildfire going on right now in Yolo, the next county over from me, and when I ride around town I see all these fireworks stands, many run to raise money for schools and other charitable causes. It is absolute insanity to allow the sale of fireworks anywhere in the state of California in the summertime.  Yet we continue to do so with no regard for the consequences.:facepalm:

Yeah I'm conflicted on the holiday but tend to agree with you.

As for holidays, meh it's like a Sunday in summer.  Beach or pool, BBQ etc you can do anytime.  The fireworks thing is a whole other element.  

I enjoyed lighting them off as a kid and bought them for our kids.  For about 10 years I ran a fireworks booth for two HS sports, they are huge fundraisers for cash strapped programs.  I even pulled a shift in one yesterday... But it leads to a frenzied and dangerous atmosphere where police and fire are stretched to the limit trying to control the flood of illegal fireworks people light off with the legal ines.  My city is like a freaking war zone with  ancillary fire damage to buildings (not much open land) and injuries that result.

In my area the 4th is all about the fireworks and it's a very polarizing topic.  

51 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Plus they usually play 1776 on tv that day, and that's a great movie (except for some boring parts)

I have watched this on or about July 4th most years since I was a kid.  Yes, it's great - glad to see another fan. :D  I think some of the writing is incredibly clever and I think as a whole the film is highly underrated.  We took my parents to a stage production in Philadelphia in the early 2000s.

This morning the "Today In History" section of the paper noted that on this date in 1776 Richard Henry Lee introduced the resolution on independence - "that these united colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states."

• Heart 1

Like many, I’m not a rah, rah guy, either. Love my country because it’s my home. I loved fireworks as a kid. We always let the kids buy some, but they grew up in town. We tried to be considerate of our neighbors. I look forward to our 50 Mile ride that morning then hanging out with some of the same people that evening. Their back yard faces the city display so it’s nice that way. 

Yeah, my country has it's issues, but putting what those guys did in 1776 in perspective, I very much enjoy celebrating the 4th.  Maybe my access to Philly has something to do with it.  Tomorrow evening, I will be sitting on the lawn in front of Independence Hall listening to a concert of patriotic music.  To my right, I'll see the Liberty Bell.  Behind that, Washington's House.  To the rear, the Constitution Center (a must visit for any American)

• Heart 2

I love the 4th of July.  From the edge of our plateau overlooking Baltimore, 1/4" mile from my home, I can see the fireworks from Fort McHenry, Camden Yards stadium, and a couple other places.  We used to have a great display where you could set up chairs and blankets on the football field of Anne Arundel Community College and watch the fireworks from the field next to it go off over your head while a Naval Academy or U.S. Army Chorus sang patriotic songs with the Overture of 1812 added-in.

I like the fireworks. As a kid, we’d go to Washington Crossing State Park and watch the fireworks set off from a barge on the Delaware River. More recently, I’d take my boat out onto Lake Erie and watch the fire works from all the towns up and down the Lake front. But now all the towns in the area seem not to fund firework displays anymore. And with the holiday midweek this year, I won’t be doing much. I’ve always wished we’d get the 5th off. Will likely stay home and grill, and maybe go up to our local fireworks display. Or not.

I would rather be working.  The Airedales hate it.  Tillie gets distraught and can't stand to be in the house or outside.  More dogs get lost on this night than any other single day.

People are expected to be jolly at cookouts.  It is like 94 fracking degrees and you are supposed to sit outside.  Oh, and don't even get me started on "bring a dish to pass."  There are about three types

• canned beans made "special" by adding other canned foods.
  • Mayonnaise laden creations that sit in the sun for hours.  Someone always says-- it will be just fine.
  • Things that start with jello and end with pure chemical Cool Whip

Don't get me wrong-- many of these dishes would be lovely and delicious if they hadn't sat outside all day.  I really like red jello.

Other than that the day is fine.  I love my country but it seems better to show it with civil good deeds.

• Heart 1

About the fireworks  I could take it or leave it. 

When Wo46 and I got married we had a apartment a block away from Lake Michigan where the city had the 4th of July celebration. After a few years of people blocking your driveway, beer bottles in your yard, some stranger sleeping in the yard or someone throwing up on your car we don't bother going to the 4th of July celebration. 

Probably do some sort of workout in the morning and a motorcycle ride in the afternoon and that's about it. 

• Heart 1

This Independence Day holiday is just fake news!

The real story...Today, July 3rd is my birthday. The celebration was just so extreme that no one was in any condition to go to work on the 4th. Everyone needed a day to recuperate, so they accommodated by creating the National holiday. 

as a kid it was a picnic and firecrackers, and later on little league baseball tourney and picnic.  As a teen it was earning money baling hay during the day, then running around with friends at night.   as an adult I still enjoy the day off.  For the past several years it has meant an early bike ride, the bbq.

• Awesome 1