One of my ex-coworkers just died from Covid 19

Road Runner

I have heard of several people I've known getting Covid, but this is the first one that has died.

He was older than me, but according to his family, he was in relatively good health until he got sick.  The hospital did all they could, but he didn't make it.  :(

I hadn't talked to him recently, so I don't know if he was vaccinated.

There were 100 deaths to Covid in Virginia yesterday, the most since last March.

• Sad 11

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Mainly through here - like Mick's aunt.  I don't think I know any people directly.  Lots who got sick, but no deaths.  And once vaxxes came out, most folks I know are vaxxed.

Only 58% of Virginians are vaccinated and it is much worse here in the Tidewater area.  Norfolk is 38% and Portsmouth 40%.  Unbelievable but true.

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

And it's not like the vaccine is hard to get.  Places here to get the vaccine are plentiful and it's free.  I can't understand why anyone, especially seniors, refuse to be vaccinated.

I am amazed at some of the people that are rabidly anti vacc.  It does seem to follow political bias, but I would think people with a college degree would understand the statistics and go with the science.

• Heart 2

Just now, Further said:

I am amazed at some of the people that are rabidly anti vacc.  It does seem to follow political bias, but I would think people with a college degree would understand the statistics and go with the science.

It is political (the deplorable bit), but it is also a cultural issue - ie some of the poorer and marginalized folks out there don't really trust "the Man" (rightfully so in many cases).

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

It is political (the deplorable bit), but it is also a cultural issue - ie some of the poorer and marginalized folks out there don't really trust "the Man" (rightfully so in many cases).

I'm talking about management folks, well paid and educated. The hunkies don't surprise me about anything anymore.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Anyone you know die from Covid?  

Too many.  Most every one didn't take it seriously, a few were collateral damage.

Just burns me up that this is purposefully and knowingly distorted for personal gain, and those persons KNOW they are killing people!  No, I didn't expect it from most of the killers.  I never thought so many people could be so evil.

The facts are overwhelming.  Just get the damn shot!

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Mainly through here - like Mick's aunt.  I don't think I know any people directly.  Lots who got sick, but no deaths.  And once vaxxes came out, most folks I know are vaxxed.

My Aunt Sally (age 99 3/4) died of COVID in April, 2020, my cousin Barbara (age 77) died of COVID in February, 2021, and my cousin Lorraine (age 60) died, possibly of COVID, in March 2021.  My sister (age 61) caught COVID last year, struggled with it for over two weeks, and almost died on two of those nights.  She, her husband and son all had it at the same time - I was doing their shopping and anything else they needed.  I was rescued by a Rite Aide pharmacy manager when I had spent a day fruitlessly trying to find a "Pulse Oximeter" for my sister: he called around and located one for me.  My sister preferred to remain at home because she had the equipment she needed and Johns Hopkins' top doctors on the phone whenever she, one of their senior master nurses, needed them and they had a bed waiting for her if she needed to come in - and she probably should have.

I have a very large extended family and am fortunate the rest haven't reported catching it.  My brother's BiL and his son caught it in 2020 and, BiL being a uneducated know-it-all, convinced his son they didn't need to get vaccinated because they already had it.  The son has it NOW, not severe but its Delta and its worse than last time.

A couple people who went to my high school died of COVID but I didn't know them personally - it was reported on our childhood community's private Facebook page, "I Grew Up In Brooklyn Park, Maryland."

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I have heard of several people I've known getting Covid, but this is the first one that has died.

He was older than me, but according to his family, he was in relatively good health until he got sick.  The hospital did all they could, but he didn't make it.  :(

I hadn't talked to him recently, so I don't know if he was vaccinated.

There were 100 deaths to Covid in Virginia yesterday, the most since last March.

Naa.  Fake news.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Yes some I knew in town, and my sister died after testing positive and then falling and striking her head during quarantine. Eventually died from the brain bleed. 47% vaccinated in state and 29% vaccinated in the county. Cases are increasing, thus we are foregoing attending several events this week, like the ram and ewe sale, bluegrass festival and open house at the range riders museum..

• Sad 6
  • Hugs 2

I have a first cousin and his son died of Covid.  Their occupation was some sort of chemical clean up, They did a job on Catalina Island, was a hot spot at one time. My cousin 59 and his two sons, 26 and 32 all got covid and ended up in the hospital on ventilators.

My cousin and his younger son died a week apart after seeming to recover some in the hospital. The older son, heavier and seemed to be in poorer health than the others, recovered but has some heart and lung issues last I heard. That was last year.

• Sad 4

Strangest thing, well, stupid if you ask me! 

My cousin 59 died about 4 months after his brother who was 61. They said the older brother died of a stroke. Found him lifeless in the room after saying he didn't feel well and went to take a nap.

The whole Covid thing hit then the 59 yo brother went to his service after they found a way to have a memorial. I was invited, no thank you!

I heard there were about 100 people there. My cousin, the 59 yo went knowing he was sick, so sick he could barely speak from what I heard.  His 2 sons as well, the two that got covid, one dyed.

Pretty stupid to go knowing he was sick then died a week or two later after a hospital stay. He went into the hospital about 3 days after the memorial.

Wasn't till later, that several of my cousins's families got sick. One household had 5 with Covid. The others about 2 but maybe 5 different families. No deaths though.

Still they continue to do things as a large group. My cousin the 59 yo dies last year and they are finally having his memorial next week. I was invited but I'm staying the heck away. No thanks! 

If my brother had died and a memorial held (no body, just a service) I would not go knowing I was sick. My cousin and his sons were never the sharpest tools in the shed.

One thing about the club I rode with last year. They stressed mandatory masks but once on the ride, 25 people, no mask other than myself and my buddy. I got a bit worried and that was part of the reason I stopped riding with them.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Further said:

I think to a point, they do. I believe 89% of people with an advanced degree are vaccinated, and college educated is in the lower 80%’s. Republicans overall are at 60%, but with rural and lower educated pulling those numbers down. 

African Americans and Latinos are getting vaccinated now at a much higher rate, the racial discrepancy is shrinking. I do think trust is an issue in those communities, but I also think access may have also played a role, initially.

Fortunately, I don’t know anyone personally who died of covid. But my BIL’s family in rural central PA are largely unvaccinated, and several of them did get significantly ill.

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Idaho is now rationing hospital health care they are so overwhelmed with covid cases. And it isn’t because of their large minority population.

Drat.  Can't blame the minorities???  That sucks.

Interesting in that places like Denmark are dropping a lot (all) of their restrictions under the "we're over 70% vaxxed and our R value is well under 1", so there is no need to consider the COVID a huge danger anymore.  They can reassess if that remains the case, but the freedom the anti-vaxxers (anti-maskers, anti-science, anti-common sense, anti-...) is in full supply in the places where the vaccine is embraced.  Seems like a simple A -> B equation sort of thing but zealotry of all sorts is generally bad news. :(

18 hours ago, Road Runner said:

My doctor had a relative die from covid.  Avid runner, in great shape.  Not vaccinated as I recall.

I keep telling my boys about all the people diying and they come up with arguments from internet research about why they should not.  I hate the internet.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Idaho is now rationing hospital health care they are so overwhelmed with covid cases. And it isn’t because of their large minority population.

Watched a story on Regen Cov shortages this AM.  Center close to me that was supposed to get 120 doses per day can now only get 35.  I guarantee you when our Governor got Covid he did not get stuck in any waiting lines....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/09/15/us-limits-covid-antibody-treatments-for-all-states-as-shortage-fears-rise/?sh=537c8252406b

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I was scheduled to go to Idaho next week. We cancelled our trip. 

The mayor in Victor, ID issued a mask mandate. The school dist. said it did not apply to them. The County attorney said, you are in Victor, it applies to everyone in Victor. People showed up the mayor's house to protest. He wasn't home so they yelled at his neighbors and waved their swastika flags. The school had to close this week because so many people were out sick. They said it wasn't all covid, just sick people. WTF? 

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/schools/local/victor-elementary-will-require-masks-when-in-person-classes-resume-monday/article_43e5f35b-2943-5e2d-a44d-5c40e91003ae.html

Victor Elementary School will issue its own mask mandate in defiance of Teton County School District No. 401.

The school’s principal, Megan Christiansen, announced the order Thursday in a letter to parents and staff.

“Victor Elementary is my family, and I am watching them crumble in front of me,” she wrote. “As their leader, it is time for me to stand up and stop what is happening.”

Starting Monday, Sept. 20, all students, staff and visitors will be required to mask up at Victor Elementary, according to Christiansen’s letter. Superintendent Monte Woolstenhulme said via email that he and the district elementary admin team support the measure.

The Teton School District, which oversees the Victor, Idaho, school, has decided not to issue a districtwide mask mandate and refused to comply with the town’s universal masking order.

Last week, the elementary school was forced to send students home amid coronavirus exposures that led to seven staff and 60 student absences. Not all absences were the result of COVID-related quarantines, Woolstenhulme said in a letter to parents.

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I guarantee you when our Governor got Covid he did not get stuck in any waiting lines....

Yep.  The elites of the world have no problem saying one destructive thing knowing they are not the ones likely to suffer from those words. 

It remains ever a sign of warped thinking that folks will avoid a fully approved and thoroughly tested vaccine in favor of a large collection of untested, emergency use, and/or off label treatments (ex Joe Rogen).  IOW, the simple and proven safe vaccines readily available to all Americans are pushed to the side in favor of far, far, far, far more risky treatment alternatives. :(

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I keep telling my boys about all the people diying and they come up with arguments from internet research about why they should not.  I hate the internet.

I was just a kid at the time, but I remember when they first came out with the polio vaccine.  Absolutely everyone I knew and their entire families went to the nearest high school and lined up to get the vaccine when it became available.  No one wanted to get the dreaded polio.  

Today, it would be totally different, I guess.  Half of the people would refuse the polio vaccine because they read on the internet that it causes impotence or some other hidden side-effect.   :(  Without achieving herd immunity, polio would never be eradicated.  

1 resident died, 1 recovered...but we were also mega isolated and making. We think they got their Covid either via transportation to their clinic or at their clinic. 

Just this week out window shade vendor is back at work..her vaccinated son..got together at a cabin with buddies..one of them had covid..well she got covid..and wasn't  vaccinated...she was lucky...not hospitalized..but she said she has never been so exhausted in her life.

Her vaccination excuse was she didn't  know which one she should get :wacko:

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Today, it would be totally different, I guess.  Half of the people would refuse the vaccine because they read on the internet that it causes impotence or some other hidden affliction. 

Hmm.  I think many folks are fine with risking impotence.  Not many on that list of common causes are not lifestyle related (maybe just MS, Parkinsons, Peyronies, cancer treatment, and some low T?):

Common causes include:

• Heart disease
  • Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
  • High cholesterol
  • High blood pressure
  • Diabetes
  • Obesity
  • Metabolic syndrome — a condition involving increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Certain prescription medications
  • Tobacco use
  • Peyronie's disease — development of scar tissue inside the penis
  • Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
  • Sleep disorders
  • Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
  • Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
  • Low testosterone

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

My doctor had a relative die from covid.  Avid runner, in great shape.  Not vaccinated as I recall.

The research on the internet not to is just BS pushed by people with an agenda.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.  The elites of the world have no problem saying one destructive thing knowing they are not the ones likely to suffer from those words. 

It remains ever a sign of warped thinking that folks will avoid a fully approved and thoroughly tested vaccine in favor of a large collection of untested, emergency use, and/or off label treatments (ex Joe Rogen).  IOW, the simple and proven safe vaccines readily available to all Americans are pushed to the side in favor of far, far, far, far more risky treatment alternatives. :(

There is no reality anymore.  It's just completely fluid, spur of the moment, make up whatever you want even if you totally believe the exact opposite at the same time.  Like thinking you've got such big balls that you'll stare down death because the preventative gave someone big balls.

My Sister in law believes the whole chip in the vaccine thing.  But no complaints about the Pennsylvania GOP subpoenaing the election board to get every voter's Driver's license numbers and last 4 of their social.

Won't get the vaccine because it's not FDA approved, but will inject bleach and take horse drugs.  What happened to all those people waiting for the approval?  I mean, the ones who are still alive to make another excuse.

All because a small group lied to get more power.  And unleashed an alternate reality that spills over into a lot more than just COVID.

• Awesome 2