If you got free tickets and transportation to one major sporting event,

Kirby

what would you pick to go see?   Presume you can't be sure who is going to be in the event, so you can't choose "my favorite team in the super bowl".  You get whoever happens to qualify that year, so you're mainly picking for overall experience.  TdF?  Giro?  Masters?  SuperBowl?  World Series? F1 race?  Frog Jumping Contest in Calaveras County?

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

what would you pick to go see?   Presume you can't be sure who is going to be in the event, so you can't choose "my favorite team in the super bowl".  You get whoever happens to qualify that year, so you're mainly picking for overall experience.  TdF?  Giro?  Masters?  SuperBowl?  World Series? F1 race?  Frog Jumping Contest in Calaveras County?

Great question!  

I was gonna say the TdF, but unorganized crowds generally annoy me.  I still want to go and see a climbing stage, but probably the super bowl would be less aggravating in that you have a defined seat, so at least you have personal space and a restroom to go to should you need to.  Then again, paying thousands of dollars to fly and attend and buy $37 Coors Lights and $55 hotdogs has some significant downsides, too.

Ah hell, the tour would probably be awesome!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dinneR said:

I don't understand the appeal.

I guess it would be the whole thing.  I have never seen the caravan and the whole spectacle of it all, but at the end of the day, you would be in France, which I haven't been to yet.  I think it would be cool to go with some fitness and maybe preride part of the stage a couple days before or after and be amazed at how fast the pro's can climb.

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Bag of Dicks said:

I was gonna say the TdF

TDF is awesome, but if you want to be in a strategically useful place on the course, you’re gonna spend all day getting to and saving your position. Only to have someone try to move right in front of you five minutes before the race arrives. Unless you get really lucky and have the winning move happen in front of you 3 Kms from the finish, as with Thor in Lourdes 2011. Here’s a still photo from the video, I’m the one you see behind the camera.

https://youtu.be/xRuntkgfMyc

5B30A44F-5A1C-4546-BDD0-B9F234D4C9F9.png

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Bag of Dicks said:

I guess it would be the whole thing.  I have never seen the caravan and the whole spectacle of it all, but at the end of the day, you would be in France, which I haven't been to yet.  I think it would be cool to go with some fitness and maybe preride part of the stage a couple days before or after and be amazed at how fast the pro's can climb.

EPO or whatever they are using now is some good shit. Pogacar is faster than Lance. Go figure.

I saw it in London from the Eye. 

54 minutes ago, 12string said:

If I'm going for the sport, Stanley cup finals (obviously this was not chosen to see MY team)

If I'm going for the trip, TdF.

Definitely a good answer.  I'd choose a Super Bowl over hockey or baseball or basketball, but not if it was played in a cold city that year.

And TdF/Giro/Vuelta for sure, but which would depend on the length of stay and flexibility to see stages.  Just flying to Paris, watching the final stage, and then flying home would stink.  But a flight plus at least a week would work well.  We actually were considering it this year - there for a week and catch the final stage - but it is going to be a zoo out there this summer, and I think the headache might just outweigh the fun this time.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I would like to go see the Women's College World Series championship series in OK city. 

you spelled Men's CWS  wrong and got the wrong city (Omaha)  My boy & I did a cannonball run from Portland to Omaha in 2013 to see Oregon state lose in the loser's bracket. 1 game & we turned around & went home. 2017 & 2018 would have been better choices. And i do wish we had got to Rosenblatt stadium instead of the new park

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Probably a Super Bowl just for the experience of it.  

This.  As a sports fan, I believe nothing beats watching a game on TV.  I'd like to see the Super Bowl for the experience around the game.  And odds are in my favor that I'd get to watch the Steelers capture another Lombardi Trophy (OK not in the next few years).  But either way... the SB.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Depends on the game. I agree with you wholeheartedly about football. Hockey is better in person, though. 

To "watch" a game, TV always wins.  Dozens of cameras, replays, so-mo, color commentary, and analysis, etc..

To "experience" a game, in person is the way to go.  College football is soooooo much better in person. Sure, you miss a ton, but the tailgating, the rollicking stands, and the post-game celebrations were clearly better in so many ways than watching on TV.  Ditto a baseball game on a lazy afternoon with a seat in the shade.  Sublime.  No idea what the strike count might be, who's warming up in the outfield pitching area, nor any of the important stats, but damn, it sure is pleasant.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Not for hockey. You see so much more of the game when not confined to looking through the camera’s lens. But since I know how often you go to any sports ball games, I’ll take you as an expert.

Yup.  It's near impossible to follow the puck, you have to watch the play to see the puck.  I've seen a lot of people switch from ambivalence to fandom within 10 minutes of live hockey.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Not for hockey. You see so much more of the game when not confined to looking through the camera’s lens. But since I know how often you go to any sports ball games, I’ll take you as an expert.

Sure.  You have to see hockey live. TV can't capture it. It's a sophisticated game. Nuance is lost in viewing it on TV.  Yada yada yada.  I think you're getting wrapped up in the experience bit, not the watching bit.  

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think you're getting wrapped up in the experience bit, not the watching bit.  

Nope. I’ve gone to 50 + NHL games a year for many years. I watch a similar number on TV a year. I can differentiate as to why I prefer in-person viewing.

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

I've seen a lot of people switch from ambivalence to fandom within 10 minutes of live hockey.

Yep.

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

Yup.  It's near impossible to follow the puck, you have to watch the play to see the puck.  I've seen a lot of people switch from ambivalence to fandom within 10 minutes of live hockey.

Any specific seats or anywhere in the arena?  I do like you hockey people stick to your ideals, though.  Nonsense or not. 

Anywhere, but don't take newbies down to the glass.  Just too fast, you have to already know the game.  Neutral zone is the best place to start.  Once you start to get the game, behind the nets is great to get a more in depth understanding of how plays unfold.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Sure.  You have to see hockey live. TV can't capture it. It's a sophisticated game. Nuance is lost in viewing it on TV.  Yada yada yada.  I think you're getting wrapped up in the experience bit, not the watching bit.  

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Any specific seats or anywhere in the arena?  I do like you hockey people stick to your ideals, though.  Nonsense or not. 

Good grief. Do you ever stop?

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

This is a normal work day for me.  I just don't get to pick the event.  :)  I have always enjoyed cricket as well.  It is a better spectator sport than baseball imho. 

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Participated in them as well.  Honestly, it’s hard to beat the rush!

My dad wasn't a big martial arts guy.  Being a Scott, he sent me to a friends boxing gym so that is what I was doing.  I did alright until my weight caught up to my height, then the world changed. :) 

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

My dad wasn't a big martial arts guy.  Being a Scott, he sent me to a friends boxing gym so that is what I was doing.  I did alright until my weight caught up to my height, then the world changed. :) 

I boxed as well. I got better with weight😊 This is why I love MMA. My experience is with several styles of combat. The ring I competed in was an early form of MMA. Unsanctioned, with differing rules depending on who was fighting. I’ve fought with full gloves and headgear as well as bare knuckle and everything goes. 

• Heart 2

Ok, Kirby read for this?

World Championship Competition for:  

ice skating

women's gymnastics 

Both things I couldn't ever do but admire the physicality, tremendous discipline and artistry for both sports. I like watching gymnastics even better than ballet.  (Though we under-rate fitness required for star ballerinas). 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

44 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Ok, Kirby read for this?

World Championship Competition for:  

ice skating

women's gymnastics 

Both things I couldn't ever do but admire the physicality, tremendous discipline and artistry for both sports. I like watching gymnastics even better than ballet.  (Though we under-rate fitness required for star ballerinas). 

I took my parents to the US Gymnastics Championships one year because they were in Harttford which was as close as they'd ever likely be to us.  I had never been to a live event before and it was amazing how they had all the various apparatus going on at the same time. I had to print out schedules of the rotations for the top competitors to know where to look.  I don't know how anyone can do balance beam when another athlete is doing floor routine to loud music 30 feet away.  It was a totally different experience watching it live than on tv where they only show you one event at a time, even if they were happening at the same time.

• Heart 2

Believe it or not, I think I'd pick the Masters or maybe even the British Open. Maybe the Super Bowl because I've never been.  But mostly football is a good TV game so I don't feel quite as compelled to see it in person.  But it'd be fun.  Nevertheless, I think the Masters would be a great event to do once in my life.

• Heart 2