What car do you regret losing?

12string

All this talk about car buying and selling - what car did you sell, trade in or give away that you now wish you had kept?

I've had a few that would be cool to still have, can't say I really regret moving them on.  But I kind of think selling my current car would leave me with regrets.

Not too long after I got married I got laid off from the place I had worked for nine years. They were winding down the plant from 7,200 employees to none over about six years. I had a brand new Chevy van that I had customized into a hippy wagon. My wife’s car payment was a lot less than mine so I asked the Chevy dealer if he would buy it back. He jumped at the chance and he resold it three times over the next ten years. I would see it around and sometimes talk to the owner. They all said what a great vehicle it was. I don’t want it back anymore. I would guess after 40 years there isn’t anything left.

• Sad 1

Somewhat naturally, it was the car that preceded the Worst Car Purchase - the '85 Ford Bronco II that I traded in for the Taurus SHO in the other thread.

The Bronco had some mechanical issues, but as far as I knew they were pretty minor, it had a rebuilt transmission, and I owned it outright.  My first few years out on my own were tough financially and a large part of it was all the money I had to pay to keep that Taurus on the road (while also making payments).  So for that reason I wish I had held onto that Bronco.

It kind of looked like this, but all black, and I put some green pin striping on it that I really liked.

Image result for 1985 ford "bronco II"

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

My 68 dodge dart

One of my best friends in high school had a Dart (a '72, I think); we claimed to be in the Dodge Dart Fan Club and I ended up jokingly including that as an "accomplishment" under my yearbook photo.  O those clever high school kids!

The small-town local weekly newspaper ended up including that fan club "membership" when they published bios of the graduating seniors. :lol:

• Heart 2

Not a car but i miss my boat.  15' Boston Whaler with a 60 HP Evinrude 2 stroke. The boat & engine were bulletproof and we had a lot of fun on it.  

I actually wasn't looking to sell it but had lost my free storage and was talking to a buddy who worked at a marina for dry storage fees.  He said you know, a buddy is looking to buy a Whaler and so I unloaded it for nearly what I paid for it 10 years prior....

Living near a harbor we took it out often but I think the storage fees would have become an issue at some point...  I still miss it tho.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

My first 2 cars.

1962 Studebaker Hawk GT. Very weird and rusty. I'd rebuilt the engine and bondo'ed the rust. Someone offered me a lot more money than I had into it.

1964 Chevy Impala SS. I joined the military and figure I was going overseas so I sold it. It wasn't until 15 years later that I got stationed overseas.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, BR46 said:

My 68 dodge dart

68 Dodge darts ruled but the one I cry about was my 69 Daytona Charger.  In decent shape, 100k to a quarter of a million today.  I've said it before but I was the only smiling pallbearer at my stepdad's funeral.  He killed it in the driveway the drunken sot.

• Sad 1

70 Dodge Charger 500. 383 Magnum. Plum Crazy with factory black stripes and black vinyl top. Sold it because I was going to be a broke college kid and premium was up to (gasp!) 90 cents/gallon!

I had bought it for $500. Sold it for $650 2 years later. Thought I was a genius! Then the muscle car rennaissance happened....

I don't regret the 73 Capri that replaced it. Helped me rethink what cars are about. But that Charger was something...

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

It's a toss up between the 1971 Olds Delta 88 and the 1986 Jeep CJ7. Kind of like having to choose between a road bike and a mountain bike. Different rides for different things. The Jeep was great around town in sunny weather and snow. fun for light off roading and beaches. Downside it was a brutal ride on the highway. I drove it Boston once and swore I'd never do that again. The Olds was a land yacht and had a smooth as butter ride when I upgraded the suspension and added Michelin radials. The Rocket 350 would purr at 90 mph. Never know you were going that fast unless you looked at the speedometer or saw red lights in the rearview mirror (never happened). 

• Sad 1

1991 Acura Integra RS coupe.  RS must have stood for "Really Stripped" -mine had no AC even (didn't have the spoiler or fancy wheels of the one below, had black mirrors instead of paint-match), the dealer put in an aftermarket pop-up sunroof just to sell it to the first owner, who sold it to me for $6300.

However, with no options, the car was light, and there weren't a ton of things that could break. The B18A1 16-valve DOHC engine's 140hp and five-speed made it a hoot to drive, with double-wishbone front and rear independent suspension that made for great handling, and the disc brakes were quite good.  It was child's play to swap out the stereo and four speakers for better, the easiest car I've ever done the job on. It got great fuel economy and was insanely reliable.  I'd tell anybody if you wanted the car to put on the track for amateur night, this would be it (maybe with a little work or a turbo kit).

I had it paid off for about 3 months when I was rear-ended on the highway and it was totaled. My next car was a 1994 Integra GS-R that was fast and fun, but more frequent/costly to fix, insure, and fuel. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

68 Dodge darts ruled but the one I cry about was my 69 Daytona Charger.  In decent shape, 100k to a quarter of a million today.  I've said it before but I was the only smiling pallbearer at my stepdad's funeral.  He killed it in the driveway the drunken sot.

When I was 17 a friend of mine totaled his car that had a 383 in it so we had the bright idea to take the 383 from his car and wedge it into my 68 dart. 

I got to know just about every police officer on a first name basis in a short period of time. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

One of my best friends in high school had a Dart (a '72, I think); we claimed to be in the Dodge Dart Fan Club and I ended up jokingly including that as an "accomplishment" under my yearbook photo.  O those clever high school kids!

The small-town local weekly newspaper ended up including that fan club "membership" when they published bios of the graduating seniors. :lol:

Hey! I'm in too. 72 Dodge Dart Swinger. Yellow with a black top. Nickname: The Banana 

Lotta fun time with that in college

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

When I was 17 a friend of mine totaled his car that had a 383 in it so we had the bright idea to take the 383 from his car and wedge it into my 68 dart. 

I got to know just about every police officer on a first name basis in a short period of time. 

:nodhead:  I started with the 383 in a Dart GTS.  Then in the corner of the race car shop I found a mid 60's 426 wedge.  :nodhead::nodhead::nodhead:  This car was not comfortable as a street car.  It was trouble in a can and I'm lucky I didn't kill myself.  It's the car I traded in when I had the opportunity to buy the Daytona.

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I tend to get rid of cars when they are officially "dead", so they're all in the "thanks for being a good car, but now it is time to move on."

Tom

Same here. :D  Most STARTED as "fully depreciated" and finished as "totally spent".  Plus, new cars are so much more capable.

I miss the MGs, but they were horribibble cars! :D

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Prolly why I got what I did for a 17 YO Jeep that didn't run. There is a fair amount of interest in jeeps of that era.

Buddy at work inherited a CJ-5 from his late father, that he has up and going.  It's classic.

His is sort of a metallic coppery color, but you get the idea.

001.jpg

I regretted getting rid of my 1968 Camaro, which I got in 1971 for $800 from my cousin and it got me through my best years of college.  There were a lot of fond memories attached to it, like the time a girl named Jane left her jeans -with flowers embroidered on the pockets- on the back seat one Saturday night, I drove home not realizing it, only to be awakened by my smiling father on Sunday morning with the warning, "Hide those flowery jeans that are on your car's back seat before your mother sees them or there will be hell to pay."

• Heart 2

1981 Jeep CJ7.  Man, I loved that Jeep.  So many memories.  It sat in the barn for the year I was overseas.  Dad talked me into selling it when I got back because it needed so much attention to be road safe.  He constantly tells me today that he regrets talking me into selling it.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

1981 Jeep CJ7.  Man, I loved that Jeep.  So many memories.  It sat in the barn for the year I was overseas.  Dad talked me into selling it when I got back because it needed so much attention to be road safe.  He constantly tells me today that he regrets talking me into selling it.

A cow orker recently revived his long idle jeep. Cost him a lot and he had endless brake line problems, but it seemed to make him happy. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

A cow orker recently revived his long idle jeep. Cost him a lot and he had endless brake line problems, but it seemed to make him happy. 

Old Jeeps are fun to work on.  Everything is easily accessible.  Lots of stock replacement parts available and endless companies making upgrade parts for every part of your Jeep.   I truly miss mine.  

There are so many catalogs that have stuff available for Jeeps that I swear that you could make one from mail order parts.  I have always said that if I ever hit the lottery that I would do just that.  Order a frame, tranny, motor, axles and body.  Just start putting stuff together and order what I don't have as I need it.  I think that would be fun.

• Awesome 1