Are your wills and other important documents up to date?

Kirby

I had a will and other estate documents such as a power of attorney and living will done decades ago, but I think I need to have them updated, but I've been finding lots of reasons to procrastinate.  How about you?   Are you current, is this on your to do list or are you just planning to leave a mess and let others figure it out.  I think having gone through extended medical stuff with my parents has made me more focused on making sure the right relatives are able to step in and take care of things if necessary.

Now I just need to actually get motivated instead of just focused.

My wife gets everything, or I get all her stuff.  If we both go, there are a bunch of folks in line for our financial stuff.  It would, however, make sense to have a will for all the crap we've accumulated like the house, cars, bikes, stuff, etc.. 

Hmm.  Might have to think about this. :scratchhead:

We put a lot of time into discussing with family who would be comfortable taking on guardianship of #2 son, but then the couple who agreed divorced a few years ago. So, we need to take on that discussion again and update our will. Most of our family would rather not talk about the subject, the two older road children live in another state, and #1 child believes she's not emotionally or pragmatically equipped to be a direct support provider. mr. and I know that Down syndrome comes with a shorter than average lifespan, but there's no telling whether we'll outlive our son.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My wife gets everything, or I get all her stuff.  If we both go, there are a bunch of folks in line for our financial stuff.  It would, however, make sense to have a will for all the crap we've accumulated like the house, cars, bikes, stuff, etc.. 

Hmm.  Might have to think about this. :scratchhead:

We have left the house and stuff to #1 and 2, hoping that our son will be able to remain in his home, and the investments to mr.'s older children. Life insurance distributed equally among them, but #2 son has legal limitations on asset accumulation, so his inheritance goes into a Special Needs trust. 

• Heart 1

We didn't really take an inventory.  Our will is pretty much just take our stuff, divide by 3.

We can trust our kids to be amicable about it.  They weren't raised to put a large value on things or money, and they are all doing fine financially, so they'll work it out and still be friends

• Heart 1

Sometimes I take a sort of perverse pleasure in knowing that someone will fight over my stuff after I'm gone.

But then I was also the executor of an estate with a very detailed will where someone got x and someone else got y while z went to a third person etc etc etc and frankly it left everyone wondering why all the various favoritism.  Everything goes to womaxx.  If the two of us buy it together then everything is to be sold and split among the surviving heirs.  They will never be able to get along long enough to come to an amenable solution anyway

Mine are not up to date and I need to give a list to my siblings about where my money is.  My sister is already down as my Series-I Savings Bonds and my Bank Accounts co-owner without sole-privileges and brother and sister and beneficiaries of certain things.

When my mother died with no will, orphaned items were turning up for 10-years. An insurance policy here, a Municipal Bond there.  She never left a will and I was the executor of the estate and it was a pain legally reopening the estate to deal with late stuff.

15 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

:dontknow: who wants my stuff?

They might want 1-2 books.  I have books...that you can't get electronically.  Not all books are digital. There are thousands of titles that will NEVER be digital....no one wants to invest the time and money to do it. It's that simple and also the whole complicated situation of negotiating copyright to turn it digital.  Google learned that the hard way a decade ago.

I don't expect hardly anyone would want my stuff. Would I want to wear clothing of a loved one that died recently?  I dunno.  

I have a nice black leather couch.  There might be 2-3 pieces of art that I created, that some loved ones might want. In fact, I know someone made a comment awhile ago.  

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

:dontknow: who wants my stuff?

Even if you're not worried about your stuff, who has authority to make decisions for you if you are injured and can't speak for yourself?   Those types of non-financial things should be considered as well.

• Awesome 1

Just a reminder that beneficiaries you name on accounts will take precedence over your will. so be sure to check if you've named any beneficiaries on your 401(k, insurance policies or other investment accounts.

For the most part everything got updated (done for the first time) when WoScrapr was on hospice. We were unknowingly looking down the barrel of a big tax bill. Attorney set up trusts. We got WoScrapr's funded on Monday. She passed on Thursday. Just this month (13 months after WoScrapr passed) I got everything into the right accounts, Vanguard was spectacular in getting WoScrapr's money moved to her trust. A couple of her accounts were titled slightly incorrect. We were lucky she was able to give voice verification when we were talking to them

When Lil Scrapr was small we never could decide on a caretaker if we both went down on a plane trip to the Caribbean. So we just put it off and got lucky

• Hugs 1

9 hours ago, Scrapr said:

For the most part everything got updated (done for the first time) when WoScrapr was on hospice. We were unknowingly looking down the barrel of a big tax bill. Attorney set up trusts. We got WoScrapr's funded on Monday. She passed on Thursday. Just this month (13 months after WoScrapr passed) I got everything into the right accounts, Vanguard was spectacular in getting WoScrapr's money moved to her trust. A couple of her accounts were titled slightly incorrect. We were lucky she was able to give voice verification when we were talking to them

When Lil Scrapr was small we never could decide on a caretaker if we both went down on a plane trip to the Caribbean. So we just put it off and got lucky

Your story is great example of preparing,....