I have been avoiding you

Olas Nah

2 minutes ago, Olas Nah said:

Long time no see. Even just accidentally ran across an old bookmark to land here... I'd half forgotten about this place. So much trauma from the old Bicycling forum days. 

Glad to see many of you still alive and well. Did we lose anybody? 

Yes.

Hello again! 
It would be good to have you back again because nobody here talks about movies except to say “It was good,” or “It was too long,” or “The social media influencer I buy into says I shouldn’t like this movie.” Are you an influencer, now? I’m not. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

It would be good to have you back again because nobody here talks about movies except to say “It was good,” or “It was too long,” or “The social media influencer I buy into says I shouldn’t like this movie.” Are you an influencer, now? I’m not. 

:angry:

I give more detailed reviews, or so I thought!  I guess I have to try harder.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Olas Nah said:

Long time no see. Even just accidentally ran across an old bookmark to land here... I'd half forgotten about this place. So much trauma from the old Bicycling forum days. 

Glad to see many of you still alive and well. Did we lose anybody? 

You were not set to receive our "newsletter".  It's not really a newsletter, but I do send an all user email every few months.

I turned it on for your account, feel free to turn it off if you want.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

:angry:

I give more detailed reviews, or so I thought!  I guess I have to try harder.

First, you have to go to a movie. There’s nothing currently showing that I really want to see. Already saw Dune 2. There are some 2023 award winners I’m waiting to stream for free. 

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

You were not set to receive our "newsletter".  It's not really a newsletter, but I do send an all user email every few months.

I turned it on for your account, feel free to turn it off if you want.

Newsletter.  Wait... what???   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Hello again! 

I guess I have a homework assignment.  My last movie was the Bob Marley movie. Pretty good. A little disjointed if you aren’t well versed on Bob Marley’s history and timeline. But a lot of substance which would make a 2nd viewing worthwhile.

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

There are some 2023 award winners I’m waiting to stream for free. 

"The Holdovers" is on Prime.  I downloaded it and watched it on the plane.  We both enjoyed that movie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

First, you have to go to a movie. There’s nothing currently showing that I really want to see. Already saw Dune 2. There are some 2023 award winners I’m waiting to stream for free. 

Oh, you mean in a theater?  No sale, I watch movies on the streaming platforms.  They are still movies, you know.

On 3/27/2024 at 3:19 PM, BuffJim said:

So Barbie or Oppenheimer?

Eh... I can't even see a reason to watch the first one... I read the book for the 2nd, and by god it was boring as hell. I know it won a Pulitzer or whatever, but it spends an awful lot of time on his communism accusations and really irrelevant life backstory stuff, some of it even disturbing (he once tried to poison one of his professors), and really very little about his actual scientific contributions, which was really odd. It's like the author just figured that's all anyone cared about, so that's what fills most of the book. 

I doubt I'll ever watch the movie.. I know what happens and IMHO 'Fat Man and Little Boy' plus some old TV movie about the project with Brian Dennehy was more educational. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 2:54 PM, jsharr said:

We lost Cheese Airwick and Roadrunner recently.  We lost ModoVincere / Chopped Liver a while ago.  Sadly, I am still here. 

Damn...

Hard to believe it's been 20 years since I first heard some of these names too. I remember Chopped a fair bit... 

• Sad 1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:17 PM, MoseySusan said:

Hello again! 

I'm an influencer.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Olas Nah said:

I suppose a bit of an update on me is worthwhile... and I know it's been quite a spell

In 2013 I got married, in 2014 I had my son (Oliver, who damn him, hates riding a bike (for now))... bought a bigger house close to my kids' elem school... I went back to school for my Masters (Analytics), got lateralish promotion as a result...(been at the same company since '05)... more or less quit riding cold turkey for about three years (my last ever bike race was a Merckx TT in the month just before my son was born)... got back on the horse after buying a Giant Defy Pro... did some charity rides, and just been kinda doing fitness riding for the last few years since... my schedule is always too iffy for too much dedicated training, and clubs around here are pretty spotty on group riding, sadly. Most of the shops don't even do rides anymore. I kinda feel like cycling's heyday is long past...

Still...just because there aren't training local group rides, shouldn't deter you from riding..to destress since your life is busier now.

27 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Still...just because there aren't training local group rides, shouldn't deter you from riding..to destress since your life is busier now.

Oh I ride, it's just that riding solo and getting in competitive type riding is too...schedule focused. I've never once had to actually DO hardcore interval training. I just rode with fast assholes. 

• Heart 2

I suspect you are correct about the bike craze entering a slump.  In part I blame ever increasing complexity and prices.  I have no data to support it but I suspect that the biking population is ageing with fewer young entries.

34 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I suspect you are correct about the bike craze entering a slump.  In part I blame ever increasing complexity and prices.  I have no data to support it but I suspect that the biking population is ageing with fewer young entries.

Would be curious to know if that is resulting in lower number of entrants with racing interest over the past 3 decades.... main reasons for that drop.