Introduction

Ty0604

17 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Welcome, Ty!

When you have your route figured out, perhaps you might get some company along the way if you post a map or itinerary here.

Thank you everyone for the replies! 

Thad: I'm working on my route right now. It's pretty much done, just tying up some loose ends. I'll be sure to post it when it's officially finished, sometime towards the end of the month! 

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Welcome Ty!  One of our mods, DH will be happy to hear more cycling discussion.  We are an eclectic group of various cycling interests and levels.  

Good to see a new face.  

Thanks! Charlotte Web is a classic, love it. 

43 minutes ago, Krazy ™ said:

Welcome to the site.. I'm not sure what kind of info you will be looking for, but I'm sure you will find yourself getting some more then likely unique answers! 

I'm not sure right now either. 

I like how I can quote multiple people in one reply instead of having to individually reply to everyone. That's new to me! 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Ty0604 said:

I'm not sure right now either. 

I like how I can quote multiple people in one reply instead of having to individually reply to everyone. That's new to me! 

We are a fun loving group, and if you really want answers... you will get them here.. 

There are a few things you need to know, and we need to know from you:
Feeling about dogs vs cats
Thoughts on Bacon, peeing in the shower, the #42, and parodies

Welcome.  Ask any questions.  We have some knowledgeable people here.  Most of us got to know each other pretty well and like to joke around.  Keep us posted on your route and some of us may live close to it and be able to meet you at some point along the ride.  My longest trips have been 4 to 5 days at a time. 

2 hours ago, Tim Burr said:

Hi.  Just curious.  Were the names Ty0001 through Ty0603 already taken?

Sure were! haha No, just my birthday; June 4th. 

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...the last person I helped who was on a X-country bike trip from here in California to somewhere in Massachusetts only made it just past Reno before she dumped her bike and hitched a ride with some people headed East, so if I offer you any advice, please do not take it.  :biker1:

I wont be taking any rides, period. Thanks for the advice. 

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Welcome.  Ask any questions.  We have some knowledgeable people here.  Most of us got to know each other pretty well and like to joke around.  Keep us posted on your route and some of us may live close to it and be able to meet you at some point along the ride.  My longest trips have been 4 to 5 days at a time. 

Will do! I'll be posting it soon. Right after Thanksgiving most likely. I designed my own route as compared to following the ACA route so it's a bit more work.

Thanks to everyone else who posted "hellos!" 

49 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Wow, we're a friendly bunch.

They're just trying to lure him in close enough for the kill. :ph34r:

Welcome, Ty. Once you're able to look past all of the crap we give each other here, you will find that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience hiding just under the surface.

• Heart 2

33 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

They're just trying to lure him in close enough for the kill. :ph34r:

Welcome, Ty. Once you're able to look past all of the crap we give each other here, you will find that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience hiding just under the surface.

That's where the sharks lurk, just under the surface.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Say, DH is right!  With DH and Ty0604 that makes both of you the cyclists on this Forum! 

If this keeps up it's going to start feeling crowded around here, and will start being all, like, cycling talk, and stuff.

Better than an RG topic like "You women need to flop around a lot more?"  or "My rats have fleas." 

Note:  There will be no more rat and flea talk since re-location.

15 hours ago, Muad Dib said:
36 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Better than an RG topic like "You women need to flop around a lot more?"  or "My rats have fleas." 

Note:  There will be no more rat and flea talk since re-location.

I don't think I ever posted about rats having fleas.  I do like when chicks flop around, though.

• Haha 1

Well..if you don't like Crazy Guy on a Bike...at least check out the maps from Adventure Cycling...  If you read some of the journals you can learn a few good tips and hints about both what to do and what not to do.

My biking buddy (who also has very poor vision)..biked from St. Paul, MN to New Orleans, LA a couple years ago..Unfortunately he did not plan with a GPS,phone or tablet...He used a book that was written a few years earlier...and yes...they ran into a few difficulties. In the like 5 years since the book had been published  at least 1 bridge disappeared and well due to flooding they had to re-route.  Thankfully..one in his group had a cell phone and another (who unfortunately left in St.Louis) had updated local maps that he had ordered.  ALSO...he wanted to get into bike touring like some of the books he had read..and did some REAL Stupid stuff (Don't worry, I told him how stupid it was..and well after a week on the road he realized it)...We do a 2 day vintage ride..non lycra... so he started out with some cotton shirts and a some not so well padded shorts...A 2 day vintage ride with a total of 80 miles is not a cross country ride...wear the right clothes!!

Good Luck with your plans.

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

How could I not say hello and welcome to someone who's birthday is just two days before mine.

And years later.

When is yours? And where were you born? Always like to ask when people have birthdays close to mine :) 

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Well..if you don't like Crazy Guy on a Bike...at least check out the maps from Adventure Cycling...  If you read some of the journals you can learn a few good tips and hints about both what to do and what not to do.

My biking buddy (who also has very poor vision)..biked from St. Paul, MN to New Orleans, LA a couple years ago..Unfortunately he did not plan with a GPS,phone or tablet...He used a book that was written a few years earlier...and yes...they ran into a few difficulties. In the like 5 years since the book had been published  at least 1 bridge disappeared and well due to flooding they had to re-route.  Thankfully..one in his group had a cell phone and another (who unfortunately left in St.Louis) had updated local maps that he had ordered.  ALSO...he wanted to get into bike touring like some of the books he had read..and did some REAL Stupid stuff (Don't worry, I told him how stupid it was..and well after a week on the road he realized it)...We do a 2 day vintage ride..non lycra... so he started out with some cotton shirts and a some not so well padded shorts...A 2 day vintage ride with a total of 80 miles is not a cross country ride...wear the right clothes!!

Good Luck with your plans.

The only section of the ACA Route I'm following is from Missoula to West Yellowstone. Otherwise the other 5,000 miles are my own route. I appreciate the advise though!

As for Lycra; I don't use it, even on long tours. I use running shorts and regular t-shirts. The only piece of "biking clothing" I use is padded shorts. 

What else did this person do that was stupid?

17 hours ago, Krazy ™ said:

We are a fun loving group, and if you really want answers... you will get them here.. 

There are a few things you need to know, and we need to know from you:
Feeling about dogs vs cats
Thoughts on Bacon, peeing in the shower, the #42, and parodies

I'll play along with you.

1. Totally a cat person. Why? You can leave them alone for a few days and they can take care of themselves. 

2. I'm not a fan of bacon but I don't eat much meat. Not vegetarian but I don't actively eat meat.

3. Peeing in the shower? Why not?

4. #42? Jackie Robinson? All I think about when I hear the number. 

5. Parodies are fun

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Doesn't look like the quotes are working.... Oh well. 

Dirtyhip: That might be the best video I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing. 

Bikeman: I'm working on a website that will be up in February. I'll be blogging on it and posting photos. I'll post the link on here if I am allowed to do so. Not sure if that would be considering "advertising" though. Can a mod weigh in?

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Ty0604 said:

Doesn't look like the quotes are working.... Oh well. 

Dirtyhip: That might be the best video I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing. 

Bikeman: I'm working on a website that will be up in February. I'll be blogging on it and posting photos. I'll post the link on here if I am allowed to do so. Not sure if that would be considering "advertising" though. Can a mod weigh in?

It's not my call, but they let me link to my book stuff and author blog. As long as your not being obnoxious about it (like me, for example), I would think it's ok. But like I said, not my call.

10 minutes ago, Ty0604 said:

You can definitely put a link here,  your signature would be a great place.  That way it shows up in every post and people can hide it if they want. 

You said you are starting a site to track your adventures,  we have a blog here too.  I could set up a section just for you if you are interested. 

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

You can definitely put a link here,  your signature would be a great place.  That way it shows up in every post and people can hide it if they want. 

You said you are starting a site to track your adventures,  we have a blog here too.  I could set up a section just for you if you are interested. 

Yeah, that would be cool. I can copy and paste what I'll have on my main website. Where can I find your blog? I'll take a look. 

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Tim Burr said:

Kind of slutty, even.  

Ok, I will start the opposite of friendly by saying that there is no honor in not having a driver's license and not knowing how to drive a car, that is just bad planning and poor decision making.  I have made lots of poor decisions, so I recognize those easily.

• Heart 1