Haircuts

jsharr

Got my hair cut this weekend.  No 2 shield sides and back, scissor cut on top, about 1 1/2" long.

This is just about right and will last for a few weeks, but I tend to let it go until the sides start to get a bit longer and then get it cut.

So do you get your hair cut to the length you like, or get it cut shorter and let it grow to the length you like and how long do you wait between cuts?

I normally go 5 to 6 weeks between cuts.

Had a cut Friday. No 1 all over plus a shave. Bonus they had a selection of beverages. I chose a middlin whiskey. Unfortunately the shave wasn't that great. I was using a sub as my regular guy was on vacay. ? I'm going to tip better for my regular guy so he doesn't go on vacation. 

5 or 6 weeks is about right. WoScrapr will usually do me in the back yard

I ask for a scissor cut to about 1" but otherwise I could have written that post.  And sometimes I walk out and realize that they left 1-1/2" anyway.  I've basically been getting the same haircut since the early 1990s.

Once my hair is cut, about 2 weeks later it looks the way I want it.  Eventually the sides get so long that they start "feathering" 80s-style and that's my signal that I need it done again - which I'll finally get around to a week or two later.

Just now, Scrapr said:

Had a cut Friday. No 1 all over plus a shave. Bonus they had a selection of beverages. I chose a middlin whiskey. Unfortunately the shave wasn't that great. I was using a sub as my regular guy was on vacay. ? I'm going to tip better for my regular guy so he doesn't go on vacation. 

5 or 6 weeks is about right. WoScrapr will usually do me in the back yard

Dang, I would get my haircut more often with that sort of reward on the line.

• Heart 1

Just now, TrentonMakes said:

I ask for a scissor cut to about 1" but otherwise I could have written that post.  And sometimes I walk out and realize that they left 1-1/2" anyway.  I've basically been getting the same haircut since the early 1990s.

Once my hair is cut, about 2 weeks later it looks the way I want it.  Eventually the sides get so long that they start "feathering" 80s-style and that's my signal that I need it done again - which I'll finally get around to a week or two later.

Feathering!  That is the word I was looking for.  When that happens I know it it time for a cut.

• Heart 1

I get it cut the way my wife wants it.  Short buzzed on the sides, a couple inches on top.  I go until it starts to pull my hair putting my drysuit on and then get it cut again, around 5-6 weeks.  Before big courses where I am diving every day for a number of weeks, I buzz it with a #1 guard so 1/4 inch all over.  

I would just as soon take it to the wood, (bald people have it made) but my wife says she wants a bit of hair.  

• Heart 3

46 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Being somewhat cheap, I get it cut shorter and let it grow. I usually go about a month between cuts.

I'm really cheap anymore.  Clippers, number 2 guard and done.  Occasionally my wife gets tired of the back my neck looking uneven and will grab the clippers and clean it up.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Got my hair cut this weekend.  No 2 shield sides and back, scissor cut on top, about 1 1/2" long.

This is just about right and will last for a few weeks, but I tend to let it go until the sides start to get a bit longer and then get it cut.

So do you get your hair cut to the length you like, or get it cut shorter and let it grow to the length you like and how long do you wait between cuts?

I normally go 5 to 6 weeks between cuts.

I get it cut to the length I like then get lazy and let it go a little unless I've got some big event to go to.

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I do not have a length I favor. My major concern is to not scare the animals in the morning, when it is standing straight up. If I do not have some function, it may be along while between haircuts. Then the barber knows to leave it just long enough to comb.

Why not just get sheared along with the sheeps?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jsharr said:

o do you get your hair cut to the length you like, or get it cut shorter and let it grow to the length you like and how long do you wait between cuts?

I get mine cut every three weeks. I let the girl do whatever she wants. She is the professional. I don’t know anything about cutting hair.

When they hand me the mirror to look, I as if it comes with a 6 month warranty. Ahhh...no!

They don't buzz cut with a number whatever. Rather it is tapered with the choice of either tapered or blocked in back. Finish with hot lather and straight razor trim. As you can guess, this is a traditional barbershop not on of those overpriced fufu chains.

I sport a Peaky Blinder cut which I have re-done once a week, usually Monday, unless they’re closed for a public holiday, which was the case last week, so I went 2 days late on Wednesday. I could not go two days ago because unusually I was working that day, nor can I go today because of a family emergency. I don’t know when I’ll catch up with my cutter, and am close to panic: the back and sides of my wedge are point five, so uncut for more than a week is an unkempt personal disaster and disgrace.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, pedalphile said:

I sport a Peaky Blinder cut which I have re-done once a week, usually Monday, unless they’re closed for a public holiday, which was the case last week, so I went 2 days late on Wednesday. I could not go two days ago because unusually I was working that day, nor can I go today because of a family emergency. I don’t know when I’ll catch up with my cutter, and am close to panic: the back and sides of my wedge are point five, so uncut for more than a week is an unkempt personal disaster and disgrace.

I did not take you as a 'high maintenance' type of guy.:whistle:

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I was cutting my own but I have been visiting the barber college recently. I get a cut for $5.00, every tenth cut is free.

I used to try the trainee thing but was too much trouble and bad and then rescue cuts to be worth any saving on t shaving. With the PB wedge there is zero room for error, and since I only get the back and sides done weekly I get a reduced price, every six weeks or so when I get the full Barnett done I pay the full price.

Daughter#2 is a stylist in Kalamazoo.  Family are free (which qualifies her for an extra large tip).  I get there when I can but usually a week or 2 later than I should.  I had a cut scheduled for last Thursday with her but a client meeting got in the way.  I need to get back on her schedule.