So... not that it matters... but could you...

Dottleshead

7 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We lived for several years in 344 sq.ft. mobile home While going to CSU in Fort Collins, plus a baby, dog and cat. Then we lived for several years in 720 sq.ft. mobile home going to UofA in Tucson.

I'm living with my wife in essentially 350 sw/ft now. It's true she goes downstairs to visit with her mom at night to watch TV but we mostly are together. Having another 700 sq feet is going to be heaven 

Not married so hard to say, but I know my parents lived in an apartment no bigger than that with 3 kids for most of their adult life and they managed.  Even when they eventually moved to a much bigger house, they were pretty much always in the same room or on the porch together.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

... live happily with just your spouse in 1050 sq/ft? I know I can. In fact I'm betting on it. What say you?

Well, each place in each city, is appox.  778 sq. ft.  I'm serious. It's absolutely fine. Ok we started with 1 city for 8 yrs. 

We sit right beside each other at our respective computers....for hours.  He watches more tv than I do. So we don't get into tv show disagreements.  I'm not as interested.  As long as there are several rms. in the place...

Dearie doesn't watch much sports anymore... by the time I met him, it wound down to see Tour de France ...not even every hr...

12 minutes ago, smudge said:

Why do you think your wife goes to "visit her mom" so much? :rolleyes:

I always thought it was because I was working.  But truth is she rips 'em while we're in bed.  I either pretend I didn't hear it or retort with something like -- "Oh my.  You're giving me a run for my money."

• Haha 1

Well, that's her closet. Where am I supposed to put my stuff? :dontknow:

Seriously, we have...and included 2 kids. I think my home in England was 850 sqft and it was consider a 'move up' home compared to other more typical 'row housing/entry level' homes. After 3 years when we moved to Arizona to a 2200 sq ft home, all of our stuff kinda fit in a corner.

Many people full time in RV's and even the large 40' Class A bus is around 400 sqft. The key issue is living space separation...two sitting areas. While I wouldn't want to drive one of those, but looking in the 25-30' range. Some couples do full time in that with no physical home backup, I am thinking more 2 weeks to a month at a time. A trend seems to be eliminate dinette, replacing with theater seating and removable table for eating. As nice as that option is...forget the spouse...where am I suppose to put my laptop?

It's not a big deal for us.  We don't have a pet. His children are grown and have their own places for shelter...I mean jeez..they are in their 40's.  (I realize it's not true for certain families re grown children.)

We've been in that 779 sq. ft. space in different cities....for the last 18 yrs.  I am abit messier than he is which means as long as I don't accumulate more stuff...

19 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I am abit messier than he is which means as long as I don't accumulate more stuff...

What the hell is it with you women buying shit and packing it in the corner?! My wife and I have had this conversation many times. Hoarders by gender.... and no @Dirtyhip doesn't count. She's a dude.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, team scooter said:

Been there. The first house we owned was a small three bedroom house with no basement. We lived there for ten years until our three kids all graduated high school. It was 998 square feet. That whole house could fit within the space of the living room and kitchen in this house. 

And which do you like better? We are giving up 2100 sq/ft for half the size.

21 minutes ago, Dottles said:

What the hell is it with you women buying shit and packing it in the corner?! My wife and I have had this conversation many times. Hoarders by gender.... and no @Dirtyhip doesn't count. She's a dude.

pshaw....dearie hoards too. It's just that he's neater than I.

2 years he voluntarily threw away over 50 cycling maps covering different parts of north america and europe.  I never complained about that. I was abit sad for him that he did that.

1 hour ago, team scooter said:

Like better? Even with just my wife and I (and the doggie) we prefer the extra space over the old house. But this house is only 1500 sq/ft, not 2100. 

That's a good size. We wanted about 1400 rambler but up here they are scarce and cost almost half a million dollars.

• Heart 1

My wife and I started out in a 780 SF mobile home. Plenty big enough for newlyweds even though we had two foster kids almost from the start. From there we moved to a five bedroom farmhouse, then to a four bedroom farmhouse with two kitchens. Except for the mobile home we have always had at least four bedrooms.