Procrastination

Airehead

36 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Are you good at it?  I was just talking to someone working on their doctorate about the necessity of a little procrastination. 

I am pretty much a pro.  The first time someone called me a procrastinator, I was too young to even pronounce it properly, let alone spell it.

I have developed good coping mechanisms for me to keep me from being in too big of a hole

• Heart 2

I’ve been procrastinating on a lot of projects. My new water conditioner system is a lot bigger and I got it as far as I can go with the water turned on. The space I need to put it in is really cramped. Once I disconnect the old one I will have several hours of changing the plumbing and installing the new one if I managed to buy everything I need. It is very hard to get several hours of uninterrupted time so three hours of installation could turn into all day. I don’t really have room to mount the whole house filter there but I’m going to try to squeeze it in.

• Heart 2

I am very good at it.  But that certainly isn’t always a bad thing.  When I first began working in my industry, it was status quo to respond immediately to any and every issue.  I found out that not every issue needs to be dealt with immediately and many resolve themselves if left alone.  

But, it’s a balancing act.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I am very good at it.  But that certainly isn’t always a bad thing.  When I first began working in my industry, it was status quo to respond immediately to any and every issue.  I found out that not every issue needs to be dealt with immediately and many resolve themselves if left alone.  

But, it’s a balancing act.

A cow-orker (and mentor!) once shared his personal philosophy with me.  "Wait until they ask for it three times, then you know they really want it" :D

I was Asok, and he was Wally. :D  I was shocked and aghast, but I eventually came around to needing some method of triage, so this is as good as any.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

A cow-orker (and mentor!) once shared his personal philosophy with me.  "Wait until they ask for it three times, then you know they really want it" :D

I was Asok, and he was Wally. :D  I was shocked and aghast, but I eventually came around to needing some method of triage, so this is as good as any.

My former boss had a saying, "if you ignore it long enough, it'll go away". This is true in some scenarios. I've been asked to do something 🙄...I don't do it. Then look it there, it didn't need to be done :D

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

Are you good at it?  I was just talking to someone working on their doctorate about the necessity of a little procrastination. 

Yes, I am good at it. I benefit from a bit of anxiety as the deadline nears to focus my attention. I’ve always managed to balance the appropriate amount of neglect to panic ratio, at least in the Big Picture. 

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

This sounds very much like the Montgomery Scott school of thought.

QMX-Star-Trek-Scotty-003.jpg

17 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

:word:Me too! :(

I fear that I was just the opposite.  My strength was in ensuring that everything necessary was in place at or before it was needed.  The only time I would fall behind was when there was simply too much to do in too little time.  My solution was to triage one project into the dead corner so that the rest would get done.  This ensured that at least one of my managers was pissed at me all the time but the rest loved me.  My response was usually "you can all be late or one of you can be late, you chose or I will".

It turns out that after they eliminated my job they all became late most of the time.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I fear that I was just the opposite.  My strength was in ensuring that everything necessary was in place at or before it was needed.  The only time I would fall behind was when there was simply too much to do in too little time.  My solution was to triage one project into the dead corner so that the rest would get done.  This ensured that at least one of my managers was pissed at me all the time but the rest loved me.  My response was usually "you can all be late or one of you can be late, you chose or I will".

It turns out that after they eliminated my job they all became late most of the time.

Sometimes I do that, do the dog work things no one else wants to do that come in very handy in times of crisis.

I'm sort of a mix.  I'll let some big things slide, particularly around the house.  But if I need to get work done for my job, I tend to do it pretty early, just so it will be done and I can stop thinking about it.  But house projects get put off until retirement, and I expect I'll have a new excuse when I retire.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2020 at 8:33 PM, Airehead said:

I procrastinate a lot, then rationalize that my friends and relatives do it more than me so I won't feel guilty.

I should have bought and put the shed up last year.  A lot of mornings I looked out the window at my lawnmower, stored under an outside roof, to make sure it hadn't been stolen along with other tools.  Fortunately, I'm not in a high crime area.

But my BiL was working part-time assembling stuff for Lowe's 3 years ago when someone returned the same model shed.  He was able to buy the return for $20.  Mine cost $549 plus tax, and delivery.  He never assembled it.

In spite of him recovering from lung lobe removal surgery and final chemotherapy, my sister decided they need the shed up by the end the summer, so guess who has been recruited to do it, "...since you already know how to do it"?

So I better save my 44 page parts list and assembly instruction booklet, in case there's something missing from his box, though it allegedly hasn't been opened.

• Heart 1

• 1 year later...