$50 Haircut?

ChrisL

So my hair cut guy is a little busy right now & can’t see me until the end of January.  My hair is bugging me now so I hit up a local SportsClip.   As it was my first time in I got the “MVP” cut which included the cut, hair wash with hot towel treatment in a vibro chair, neck & shoulder massage for  1/2 off. Normal price without tip is $39.

As I get my hair cut every 4-6 weeks $39 plus tip would add up quickly but damn that was a nice experience.  The hair wash/hot towel/vibro chair was especially nice.  But I don’t know that I want to spend that much every month…

What say you, would you spend $50 a month for a cut like that?

• ChrisL changed the title to $50 Haircut?

I just get the regular cut and tip heavy.  Never tried the MVP.  I know what chicks pay and it is outrageous and makes $50 a month seem cheap.  If you do the Sports Clip punch card thing, you get a free cut every 5th or 6th cut, so another 15% off...

Boss goes to some fancy place and pays $80.  Out of my league.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I just get the regular cut and tip heavy.  Never tried the MVP.  I know what chicks pay and it is outrageous and makes $50 a month seem cheap.  If you do the Sports Clip punch card thing, you get a free cut every 5th or 6th cut, so another 15% off...

Boss goes to some fancy place and pays $80.  Out of my league.

Right, she gave me the card and I can get a complimentary neck trim in two weeks.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I pay $22.  Inc ludes hot towels, hair wash/cut, neck shaved, eye brows trimmed and hairline shaved and an espresso.  I give them $40. 

Damn maybe I shoulda been a Canadian for the haircut experience! 

• Heart 1

I pay $22, but I get the “family” discount. The daughter of our friends the Italian couple. Very sweet, cute, and I’m slowly getting her trained. I’m about due for another cut. 
I hope to see Laura on my next trip to Nebraska this summer. A part of me wonders if she will even charge just because she will be glad to see me (likewise for me!). She didn’t charge me before we moved, and almost didn’t on my last trip there. I had my wallet out before she could say anything. 

• Heart 1

The lovely Sara with an h does it for nothing in the garage or outside. I throw $20 in the travel jar.She does a great job on my hair & neck shave. 

Before trips  or special occasions I get a haircut & hot towel shave. That runs right at $100 with tip but it's a nice treat. I think I found my new barber on my last shave & haircut. My regular (5  years) started phoning it in. Just going through the motions. The new guy lays on the hot towels. Nice & relaxing

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

So my hair cut guy is a little busy right now & can’t see me until the end of January.  My hair is bugging me now so I hit up a local SportsClip.   As it was my first time in I got the “MVP” cut which included the cut, hair wash with hot towel treatment in a vibro chair, neck & shoulder massage for  1/2 off. Normal price without tip is $39.

As I get my hair cut every 4-6 weeks $39 plus tip would add up quickly but damn that was a nice experience.  The hair wash/hot towel/vibro chair was especially nice.  But I don’t know that I want to spend that much every month…

Yeah, I get one and tip for about $35/40.  It's nuts but I guess barbers and hairdressers need to eat too.  The facility they rent the chair from I'm sure takes like 60%?

• Heart 1

There was a period of time that went to the high cost shops, then started hearing good things about a nearby shop. Old fashion, traditional chairs and still do the lather up warm soap and straight razor finishing trim. I do tease them as I return that the 6 month warranty didn’t work…but still no free warranty cut.:(

it is an 8 chair shop, but typically 4 active. The owner, Dom, finally retired but the shop continues under his name, so he apparently didn’t sell the business. Prices did go up from $9 to $13 (senior discount) and they started accepted credit cards. While I still pay cash, biggest problem is breaking the $20 from the ATM before I arrive so I don’t have to ask for change after tip.

I don't think I could.. I figure I spend about $25 a year on cutting my hair.. just buy a pack of 5 blade razors and call it good.. I don't think I remember what having hair is like.. it's been roughly 25 years now that I had something natural to keep my head warm. 

4 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I pay zero, about once a month. My hair trimmer is fat, old, and not nice to see in the mirror but it keeps the hairs trimmed.

Same.  Only I do it weekly.  

AS for the OP, I would easily pay fiddy every now and then to get a little massage, haircut, neck line cleaned up and the wash/hot towel treatment.  Not something I would do every month but as a treat a few times a year I would do it. 

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

You would be hard pressed to find a reputable stylist to cut your hair in NYC for less than than.  I go to a disreputable barber based on price, and abut $40 is the cheapest I can find.  I feel like I got a back-alley abortion when it is over, generally.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

While I still pay cash, biggest problem is breaking the $20 from the ATM before I arrive so I don’t have to ask for change after tip.

My bank’s ATMs let you choose your bills. The only time I go to my bank is to stock up on tip money. Owl get $100 worth of $5s and $1’s. I get another $100 worth of $20 to use at the Amish markets. I keep a stock of small bills at home and only carry a few at a time. I hate fat wallets.

16 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I pay $20 + $2 tip about every 5 weeks or so. Old-fashion barber shop run by a couple of brothers. I've moved about 10 miles from them but will continue to go there.

That's a weak tip. They'll give you one of these if your not careful.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My recliner has a built-in vibrator.

My semi-retired barber cuts my hair at her house and she charges $12 for Seniors, $20 regular.  But I know she doesn't have much money and I usually get haircuts half as often as I should, so I give her $40.  That's every 2-3 months.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You would be hard pressed to find a reputable stylist to cut your hair in NYC for less than than.  I go to a disreputable barber based on price, and abut $40 is the cheapest I can find.  I feel like I got a back-alley abortion when it is over, generally.

My guy charges the same as the base cut at SportsClips so I’ll likely just go there anyway… At least they have TV’s to watch sports in the lobby & between chairs and they take walk in’s which my guy doesn’t.  Maybe I’ll splurge once & a while for the MVP treatment…

9 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I'll bite. Make with the pics. I bet is not legal in Texas.

As a kid my dad had a big leather lazy boy with heat & vibration.  I used to like to sit in it & buzz away…  My chair doesn’t have fancy features but I like it just fine.  

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My bank’s ATMs let you choose your bills. The only time I go to my bank is to stock up on tip money. Owl get $100 worth of $5s and $1’s. I get another $100 worth of $20 to use at the Amish markets. I keep a stock of small bills at home and only carry a few at a time. I hate fat wallets.

Hey, the Snickers at WaWa to break a $20, just has my name on it! It is a double win as I now have change. :D

Usually use my ATM card more and more than cash. But when I am in Europe, cash is king. I will go to the ATM and pull 200 Euros or Swiss Francs out, and I do have a choice. If I forget the press the small bills button, I get two 100's. While 200 is a good size withdrawal - but not largest available - both my ATM cards (two banks in case problem with one) have small fee of $2 or $3, but market rates on exchange conversion. It would be the same fee each time took 20 out, so go big for a one time fee and use cash. Ironically, cashiers have no problem if you hand them a 100 for a small order, and they have ample bills in the register to cover. I just feel weird doing it. Credit cards that have a foreign exchange fee get left home and don't make the trip.