What's going on with your best friend from childhood

Mr. Silly

He is my boss.  He was just in my office to ask how my parents are doing.  Mom has been in hospital for a week with stroke like symptoms they cannot figure out and Dad falls every other day or so and can't get up.   My brother and I drive down there on Saturday to try and get them moved from a cottage into assisted living.

• Sad 2

Mine are all doing well, one of them own a pub which is fun when we get together.  Having been gone from my hometown for almost 30 years and being a guy so not that good ay keeping in touch, we sort of drifted apart.  Last year we reconnected when one of the guys ran into my sister.  It was like we were never apart.  Now we are in constant contact and get together whenever I get back home.

These are the first friends I ever had that did not live within sight of my house

IMG_0144.jpg

My best friend from early childhood, like me, downsized as he approached retirement and moved into his late parents house, so we live a couple doors apart now, though we don't hang out together often.

I've lost touch with most college friends, the same with most of my best high school friends, except for occasional messages to each other on the private Facebook page, "I grew up in Brooklyn Park."  A close friend - we both were on the high school track team together, came back as teachers, and then decided to coach it together in our 30's when our coach retired - I'm touch with on occasion. He and I and the captain of the cheerleaders in our high school class had a restaurant lunch together a few months back.  We went to the same high school and same college (UMBC) and then taught in the same school system (me on left):

1170684584_20190614_141515clar_sat_900p.jpg.ac334be264ca39115579d506f06d58e6.jpg

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Mine are all doing well, one of them own a pub which is fun when we get together.  Having been gone from my hometown for almost 30 years and being a guy so not that good ay keeping in touch, we sort of drifted apart.  Last year we reconnected when one of the guys ran into my sister.  It was like we were never apart.  Now we are in constant contact and get together whenever I get back home.

These are the first friends I ever had that did not live within sight of my house

IMG_0144.jpg

All these who are probably around your age, seem to be in good shape from waist up...   Do they play hockey often together /jog?  

Mine became a naturapath.  She has her practice in a historic retrofitted bldg. about 40 km. outside of the city where we both grew up.  After HS she won a beauty contest locally, did her university degree (Master's) in pharmacology, worked for a big global Pharma, divorced from her HS sweetheart hubby, had 2 daughters etc.  Clearly she saw the games of big Pharma, etc.  We lost touch with one another.....  Yes, she is still a good looking woman @60. 

Not certain what we have in common. Maybe if bumping into one another, can talk about health and fitness. We have each lost sisters.

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

All these who are probably around your age, seem to be in good shape from waist up...   Do they play hockey often together /jog?  

We are all different, one is an avid tennis player, one is a skier and one is a hockey player.  

I had two best friends in grade school.  I lost touch with one of them when she moved in around the 5th grade  One day when I was in college, I was at the student center and she came up and said hi.  Apparently she was dating a guy who went there and had come out for a visit and recognized me. That was the last I saw of her. 

Another good friend moved cross country in 8th grade, but we stayed in touch and she's living in NJ now.

One friend I see from time to time is still working for Georgia Pacific and hoping to retire soon. The other guy from the three stooges. .I see him 2 or 3 times a week and I think that he is finally getting his shit together. I don't think that he realizes that his wife left him because of his drinking and gambling. His drinking has cut way back and the gambling has come to a end. He was the friend of mine who lost his leg to diabetes and reamed me a new ass hole for pointing out that he was showing signs of diabetes.  I think that losing the leg and ending up in the ICU a year after losing the leg because he wasn't taking care of his diabetes opened his eyes that he couldn't stay on path that he was on. 

• Sad 1

I had a terrible time tracking my friend down.  We moved next door when I was 3.  He was sent to an out of state boarding school in 8th grade and we drifted apart.  

I tried to track him down on Facebook, Google and Whitepages.com.  His name is super common and is the same as a famous golfer, his father's name is the same as a famous musician and his mother's name is the same as a famous news paper columnist.  Because of all that, all searches resulted in a bunch of clutter.

I did manage to track him down though.  His birthday was a week or so away when I located him so I sent him a birthday card.  I didn't get a response though.

Based on Google's street view of his house though, it looks like he's doing pretty well though.  So I am happy for him.  I just hope he doesn't think I was creepy sending him a birthday card.