Did you ever have a milk man deliver milk to your house?

a bunch of numbers

Not that I recall. I remember neighbors with insulated milk boxes on their porches, but I think they were already relics at that point. When I was about 5 years old, they had a snack food delivery service Charle’s Chips that would refill your metal container with chips and maybe pretzels. 

Now, I have Amazon and get coffee, cat food, cat litter, paper products and a host of other food delivered monthly, straight to my door.

Yup. We had door to door milk delivery when I was a kid. The milk came in reusable glass bottles, so we were green long before it was a thing. Also had bread and meat delivery way out in the boonies too.

The meat man kept a box of bulk wieners in the back of his panel truck (yeah, panel truck. I am that old) and when he pulled up and blew his horn, all the kids would come running and he would hand out the wieners.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, jsharr said:

We did in Oklahoma.  It came in like 2.5 gallon jugs with a spigot on the front like this water jug.

How do you get the water out of the jug? | CPAPtalk.com

We drank a lot of milk back in the day 

I remember those.  I don't remember if it was delivered though.  I do remember we had an insulated box that sat outside the garage door.

Growing up through high school, with 3 boys all close together in age, we had milk delivered 5 days a week.  Whoever was up first had to open the door and get the milk.  Mom would leave the money in a jar on the step all night for the milkman in the morning.  It was a different time

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Growing up through high school, with 3 boys all close together in age, we had milk delivered 5 days a week.  Whoever was up first had to open the door and get the milk.  Mom would leave the money in a jar on the step all night for the milkman in the morning.  It was a different time

That was before milk came in bags?

As recently as the mid 1980's when stationed in England it was very common. An unrefrigerated flatbed truck, but with British temps, didn't really matter. Birds would peck through the foil top on the glass bottles if you didn't retrieve them first thing in the morning. Could order all varieties, including non-homogenized so the cream would separate. I brought a couple of bottles back as a souvenir. 

• Awesome 1

49 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Similar to how I grew up.

And how could I forget. My grandfather owned a dairy and did delivery runs. He died before I was born. I am named after him as an agreement with my mother and her brothers, the first born male of my generation would be named after their dad.

img540.jpg

• Heart 1

We had milk delivery until I was 16. That’s when my mom found someone that didn’t mind driving out to the dairy farm for fresh milk. I even got to drive the family car most of the time (saves my gas).

When my dad was young he used to milk their cows, load it on the milk wagon and deliver it door to door before school each morning.

When I bought this property my dad would come out to visit and he would watch my Amish neighbors putting up hay and plowing and doing other farm work with the team of horses and he would say “that’s exactly how we used to do it

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

My grandfather owned a dairy and did delivery runs. He died before I was born. I am named after him as an agreement with my mother and her brothers, the first born male of my generation would be named after their dad.

Your grandfather was named Tizeye? :frantics:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think so, although I recall my Grandmother had one when I was very young.  Or maybe she still just had the box sitting there.  I'll have to ask my sister with the very good memory.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I don't think so, although I recall my Grandmother had one when I was very young.  Or maybe she still just had the box sitting there.  I'll have to ask my sister with the very good memory.

My sister with the good memory informs me that we had one as well outside our apartment in the city.  Apparently we'd sit on the milk box to take our boots on and off in the winter.

On 5/12/2020 at 1:48 PM, Rick5234 said:

I did when I was real young.  It stopped because people were buying it in the store.  We used to have a local farmer deliver egg too. 

https://modernfarmer.com/2014/05/milkman-cometh/

I remember it when I was real young to.  It must have stopped when I was around 10 (1960) or younger.

It was REAL milk with lots of cream.  The bottles had aluminum foil caps and, in winter, the bottles would get really cold sitting outside and the cream would separate out and push the cap off the bottle as a banana-like curving solid.  My mother would sprinkle a little sugar or honey on it and let me eat the "ice cream!"

• Heart 1