Vaccine - yay or nay?

Square Wheels

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I can get my first does effective today.

I'm still leery.

Do you plan to get it when you're eligible?

The sooner the better!  Ignorance is bliss to some, but generally is frowned upon.  Feel free to make excuses for things - people do everyday - but be aware they are just unfounded excuses.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

Yes.  But if a miracle should happen and the numbers of new viral infections should take a significant downturn prior to my eligibility to receive the vaccine, I might consider foregoing it.  I just heard someone on my local news say that it will likely be a number of months before vaccinations of the main population (standard or low risk) will begin. 

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Yes.  But if a miracle should happen and the numbers of new viral infections should take a significant downturn prior to my eligibility to receive the vaccine, I might consider foregoing it.  I just heard someone on my local news say that it will likely be a number of months before vaccinations of the main population (standard or low risk) will begin. 

Dallas County is getting 2,000 doses a day.  Population of the county is 2.63 million, so it will take 44 months to get everyone their first round if we go 7 days per week at that rate.  I do not live in Dallas County.  My county has slightly more than 1 million residents and the state shows that 12,417 have been vaccinated so far, so again, I do not expect to get a chance for at least a year.

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, smudge said:

Nothing to fear but a sore arm.

What if the mRNA forgets how to stop replicating?

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Vaccines save lives.  

True

1 hour ago, Rick5234 said:

Leery of what exactly?

A never user before vaccine, rushed to market, and not cleared by FDA.  What could go wrong?  Thalidomide? 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Out of curiosity, are you assuming the same level of effort and prioritization of resources for the rest of the year? If so, why?

yes, because it is the only number I have.  I realize it is flawed logic and that production will ramp up, other vaccine sources will come online, etc.  

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

True

A never user before vaccine, rushed to market, and not cleared by FDA.  What could go wrong?  Thalidomide? 

Appreciate the concern, squarewheels....since the 2 different vaccines have not yet had a long testing trials...meaning a number of years. 

I have mixed concerns but at my age I have to get over it.  I'm not pregnant/nor plan to be pregnant, I've so far lived a highly productive life compared to someone who is 5 years old or 25 years or 45  old. I've had the benefit of experiencing life without covid restrictions and have been vaccinated against smallpox, polio, TB, measles and tentanus (though some of all this may have worn off by now).

For sure, I'm super glad not to be pregnant nor want to be pregnant in near future and worry about vaccine after effects.  

Alot of us are like me:  we've been incredibly fortunate to experience life for past few decades of our lives, without current covid restrictions. We've been able to travel freely in the past, work with other people in person, have fun with other people without deadly unknown infectious disease concerns,etc.

Just now, jsharr said:

I would love to see what would happen if Amazon was in charge of this!  

Doctors, nurses and medical researchers are more risk adverse...which also slows down things. They are trained to be abit more risk adverse and to be slower. They are more diligent and slower in their procedures and for sure, they would not be rushed.  Nurses also have to deal with anxious/nervous patients receiving a needle. Amazon would lose patience to have each patient sit around for an extra 15-30 min. for any post-needle emergency extreme reaction.  

• Heart 1

Yes, but others can go first, I don’t mind waiting. Not out of fear, but I’m not a first responder. I’m of a certain risk category, but as a quiet introvert, I’m liking the lifestyle so far. In mid-March we are due for our second shingles vaccine. That’s next on my vaccine scorecard. 

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That’s the big question. There is no reverse for this. Vaccinating all the health professionals is dangerous business. I might take the chance if offered, I’m not convinced it’s safe but I lived a good life. Not sure how much longer I have (nobody does). There are no plans to make house calls with this vaccine so my wife will be unable to get it.

• Heart 2

At this point, nobody is dying of the vaccine yet, and very few people have grown useful and practical flippers, a sexy third boob, or developed superpowers.  Your call.

I am gonna get it when it is my turn, though, and you know how I hate flu shots.  Vaccines that work are a different story, especially if you consider that YOU getting vaccinated may save someone's life, on presumption that you possibly could be asymptomatic for a few days if you pick up covid.  

If I had the early option, I would get it.  

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I am gonna get it when it is my turn, though, and you know how I hate flu shots.  Vaccines that work are a different story, especially if you consider that YOU getting vaccinated may save someone's life, on presumption that you possibly could be asymptomatic for a few days if you pick up covid.  

Not sure the efficacy of this will ultimately be much better than the flu shot.  Covid needs time to start mutating.

You getting the flu shot will help protect others also.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

If you can keep her exposures to a minimum, ideally 0, she should be safe.

A life without grandkids is no life and I need help caring for my wife. The other care givers also work with covid patients. We only see our grandkids about once a month. We are careful but we won’t/can’t completely isolate ourselves.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Way off the mark, but another great time in USA healthcare.

https://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm

CDC isn't a good source! They're the "bad" guys, so whatever they claim must be considered false, inaccurate and/or misleading!

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

True

You have to balance the what if's of the vaccine against the what if's of the virus.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.  If you think you might be getting pregnant soon than that's part of the equation.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You have to balance the what if's of the vaccine against the what if's of the virus.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.  If you think you might be getting pregnant soon than that's part of the equation.

I think Wheels would need to get the vaccine and PRAY for a mutation if he hopes to get pregnant. But it’s not going to happen, it’s not going to alter his DNA AT ALL. Sorry @donkpow, no webbed hands.

• Haha 1

So Ontario obstetricians-gynaecologists, are today allowing covid preventive vaccines to be administered to pregnant women.  Ontario ob-gyns push back on policies advising against COVID-19 vaccine for pregnant or breastfeeding women | CBC News

I don't know what to say for those pregnant women.

There have been rare documented cases in Canada where an Inuit woman just gave birth..and then she contracted covid and died. It was just within last few days.Nunavut woman dies weeks after contracting COVID-19 following childbirth in Winnipeg hospital | CBC News  Iqualuit, the capital in Nunavut does not have hospital facilities and expertise to deal with births. So Inuit mothers often are flown to Winnipeg.

I believe a different woman in Ontario was in a covid coma but somehow she had to give birth...  when she awoke from her coma, she saw her baby for lst time.  Her recovery covid symptoms are still quite significantly negative.

It wasn't long ago the zika virus which did cause some significant disabilities in babies or at least affected their brain/head development... that was around the time of the Rio Summer Olympics.  Is our memory that short? :(

For Pregnant Women | Zika virus | CDC

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

From what I read, this vaccine is pretty safe.  But it's been a whole shotgun approach and basically the general populace is the test sample.  So while I feel it's probably ok I'm going to sit it out for 3-6 months and let the heroes data come in before making that decision.

Keep in touch so we know if your survive.

The vaccine was not actually rushed to market, especially the mRNA ones.

An mRNA vaccine is NOT the virus, dead or alive.  It is RNA that will teach your immune system how to recognize the virus, and what to do if it sees it.  It then builds the mechanism to create antibodies.  So, yes, had better hope it WILL keep splitting -  that's exactly what it's supposed to do, or you lose your ability to fight the virus.

This method of vaccination has been in development since 2005.  Since the method was perfected, all that now needs to be done to create an mRNA vaccine is to map the RNA.  That was easy, and doesn't take long.  And this method has already been used in previous vaccines.

It's perfectly safe.  The Pfizer is NOT mRNA, so that's a little concerning, but again, advances in science build upon each other, so it's not all that scary that given unlimited resources they were able to achieve this quickly.

My daughter got hers already, and threatened the rest of us with bodily harm if ew don't get it.  Her BF has declined for now to make doses available to others since he already had the virus.

GET THE VACCINE!!  It's about saving far more lives than your own.  And the economy isn't reopening until we do.

• Heart 3