This is going to be a tough weekend.

UglyBob

Our 15 year old lady, Sasha, isn't doing too well. Her breathing has gotten worse and her back legs are giving out. We've also had to increase her pain meds as well this week. I don't want to admit it to myself, but I think it's her time. I'm going to try to get her into the vet tomorrow. I suspect I will be coming home alone.

This really sucks... Sasha14yrsold.thumb.jpg.162a5d9b67e3eb614949b35e2c8f977f.jpg:(

• Sad 12

:(  She's beautiful and you can tell by her lovely, smart face that's she's a dog who has been well loved by her people.  It's never easy to lose a family member and dear friend, but I know you will do whatever you think is right for her.   My sympathies, I know this won't be easy for you

• Heart 3

Well, the appointment is made. Tonight I have to say goodbye to my writing partner. Sasha was a rescue (like everyone we have adopted). I know she had a good life with us, but it's so hard to let her go. Dammit, I can't see to type now... 

Sashaunderthedesk.thumb.jpg.ecac992a75e07222eb4cb3d3a8f77f1c.jpg

• Sad 5

When we knew the end was near for Sparky due to a huge tumor, we had a bit of a party for her.  We sat in the front yard and spoiled her.  Friends came by and brought her snacks and treats and loved on her and said their good byes.  We all rode to the vet together, but the boys and Martha did not want to be in the room with us, so it was just Sparky and me and the vet.

Sorry you are going through this.  Love on the sweet girl and be with her as she passes.  What friend could ask for more from a friend.

• Heart 3

It's so hard because we have to make the decision for them, they can't...  As tough as it is you are doing the right thing for her.

I had to put my pup down a few months after my mom passed.  This may sound cold but it was harder for me to say good bye to my dog.  We knew my mom was going to go and she went when she was ready.  We didn't know how long our pup would have lasted but her quality of life was horrible due to her hips giving out.  So we had to make the decision for her and I almost backed out, it was so hard to do.

It was tough leading up to it but in hindsight I'm glad we did right for her.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

I can't be in the room when it happens. I just something I can't handle. My wife will be with her. I will be outside with Gracie.

FWIW we were with her when they gave her the initial shot that put her to sleep.  They then did the rest without us.  The last thing my sweet pup remembered was falling asleep in my arms.

Maybe they can do a similar arrangement?

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

FWIW we were with her when they gave her the initial shot that put her to sleep.  They then did the rest without us.  The last thing my sweet pup remembered was falling asleep in my arms.

Actually getting misty eyed thinking about it...

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

We tried that when we had to let our black lab, Lucy, go. I had to leave the room as soon as they brought the needles in. I handle everything else with the dogs, so my wife will handles this. Sasha is only the second one we've ever had to make the decision for. All of the others over the years have passed naturally.

• Heart 1

I have held 3 dogs during their final moments.  It is completely heartbreaking.  I didn't when we put our last Bouvier down and have been haunted by it since.  It is a really difficult decision on top of a really difficult decision.  I don't envy you this task UB.  

• Heart 1

It is really tough to read this, and must have been hell to go through it and type it up. I don’t know what to say, other than so many of have been through it and I know we all wish there was a way to make you feel better about doing the right thing  

How are you holding up?

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

It is really tough to read this, and must have been hell to go through it and type it up. I don’t know what to say, other than so many of have been through it and I know we all wish there was a way to make you feel better about doing the right thing  

How are you holding up?

It really hit me this morning. Sasha was my alarm clock. She got me up at the crack of dawn every morning. Gracie would sleep until noon if didn't mean missing breakfast. There is a big hole in my morning routine. It's really going to take some time for me to adjust. 

• Heart 1

The last picture I took of Sasha before we left the house. She looks happy, but I know the pain she was in. This picture was after she had already had two doses of Tramadol. It eased the pain enough for her to walk to the car, but I had to lift her in and out.

sasha001.thumb.jpg.b406307bac2172a29f7fef1e8cca5d8e.jpg

This morning was tough. My entire morning routine was centered around her...it was our time together. Gracie sleeps in until my wife gets up, so I was alone today. It was way too quite.

• Sad 2

I am so sorry for your loss, but I wish every dog could be as well loved as Sasha.  You gave her a great life, and made sure she didn't suffer even if it was hard for you.  Sasha and you were both very lucky to have each other.

• Heart 1

Sasha sure put on a brave and contented face in that last pic.  I guess it will take a while to adjust to life without her.  It always amazes me that dogz come oot barely ahead when you balance all the joy they give you over 15 or so years with the pain their passing causes for a few months or years.  Both are VERY high numbers though.

• Heart 1