When you travel…

Wilbur

If it's more than 2 days I unpack. 3-4 days it's kinda partial, a week I unpack everything. 

I used to be lazy putting everything away when I get home but we've gotten more efficient lately. Before we even leave the house is spotlessly cleaned. Coming home to a perfect clean house is rather cathartic. Then we unpack, sorting and doing laundry right away. The transition of vacation to home seems to be best for us this way. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1

Depends how long I am staying. A couple nights, no. Longer than that, yes

I like to unpack at home soon after I arrive, especially if I have to go back to work the next day. I like to take an extra vacation day at the end of my trip to unpack, do laundry, shop and prepare for the work week.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, goldendesign said:

If it's more than 2 days I unpack. 3-4 days it's kinda partial, a week I unpack everything. 

I used to be lazy putting everything away when I get home but we've gotten more efficient lately. Before we even leave the house is spotlessly cleaned. Coming home to a perfect clean house is rather cathartic. Then we unpack, sorting and doing laundry right away. The transition of vacation to home seems to be best for us this way. 

This for sure - assuming staying at ONE place.  

We usually "have" to clean the house prior to a vacation, since we will have the dog sitter (usually a niece) either staying the whole time or coming down a day or two before we return bringing our pup from her place.  This means we're cleaning the house :)

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Do you unpack your suitcase at the hotel or live out of it?

When you get home, do you unpack right away or does your suitcase sit on the bedroom floor for a while?

I only take out things like clothing that should be hung in the closet and phone chargers, etc. and otherwise live out of the suitcase.

When I get home, I clean out the dirty clothes from the suitcase within a day, some of the rest may take a few more days.

• Like 1

Clothes stay in the suitcase. Shoes underneath the suitcase rack, jacket/sweater in the closet, toiletries in the bathroom. We car travel with a little beverage cooler, so I unpack that into the fridge and hope it has a freezer compartment for the blue ice packs. I take all the disposable cups with us when we leave. They’re good for car traveling. I also take the mini bottle of lotion for my purse. 

I do not make lunch sandwiches and take the fruit and yogurt from the breakfast area, though. I’ve sometimes filled water bottles at the cooler in the fitness room. 

• Heart 2

I live out of my suitcase even on a cruise and not in a hotel. The only things that come out of it are my suite and toiletries. 
when I get home I unpack everything and put it away till the next time I need it.. 

my wife on the other hand.. let’s just say she came back from Ohio three weeks ago and it’s still half full on her side of the bedroom. 

• Heart 1

If there are pieces of clothing that I know I will not even use for next several days while at same hotel, it all stays in the suitcase.  I only bring out clothing that I know I need to wear/use for those few days. Pointless to take out cycling clothing when I won't be doing any cycling at a certain location during a multi-week trip.

So I tend to live out of the suitcase when I can. If I am going to wedding or funeral, such clothing does need to be hung on a rack immediately at destination, for smoothness, etc. But that's very rare. And sometimes I just board plane partially dressed up well, so I don't have to worry about wrinkles.

I have accidentally left behind favourite pieces of clothing at hotel and that was discovered too late. So I have no interest to increase that probability again.

And for living out of suitcase, also applies for living out of packed bike panniers.  No reason to unpack 4 bike panniers.  Waste of time. 

Arriving home, suitcase is unpacked within 3 days or less.  In retirement it will change. But usually I would arrive home late at night and immediately next morning would have to return to the office to work full-time. No time to unpack. 

Most of my travel with suitcase are packed with clothes for casual occasions /cycling.  Last time I travelled for business/meetings was over 18 yrs. ago.  Yes, our govn't dept. does not get perks of conferences outside of our city.  Usually that's at management level in my business unit.  Yes, tax dollars are saved, contrary to what people think.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Do you unpack your suitcase at the hotel or live out of it?

Live out of it.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

When you get home, do you unpack right away or does your suitcase sit on the bedroom floor for a while?

Unpack right away.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, BR46 said:

We have lived for 9 day out of the saddle bags on the motorcycle.

I have lived out of 4 bike panniers for 4 wks. each time..for several different trips..in CAnada and Europe.

As a result of bike touring trips and shorter rides other times, I've become incredibly practical packing for vacation trips-- in general. I do travel overseas with 1 carry-on luggage and medium size (foldable) knapack for 4 wk. foreign trips overseas.  Unless it's a wedding, etc. looking lovely and fashionable was lower priority for lovely dinners overseas with dearie.  I didn't want to look like an expensive tourist anyway.. :party: Being clean, healthy, respectful and neat was more important.

• Heart 1