Where will you be for the eclipse?

Kirby

Are you planning to go anywhere special to see it tomorrow?  If not, will you step outside to try to see it?  Do you have eclipse glasses or are you just going to enjoy seeing things get darker.  Or are you totally outside the path and don't have any plans related to the eclipse at all?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

Not sure what time it starts here..I have a 10:45 appointment  after that...I will be at work

Alexa tells me it will be around 2:00 pm in St Paul.  Are you planning to go outside if you're at work.  St Paul is supposed to be around 3/4 coverage

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Are you planning to go anywhere special to see it tomorrow? 

I'll be at home 

15 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Do you have eclipse glasses

I have several welding helmets 

16 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Or are you totally outside the path and don't have any plans related to the eclipse at all?

It's not the first one I've ever seen 

• Heart 2

I’ll be scouting a local playground from 2-2:45. Assuming it’s good and there’s parking, I’ll go home and get BuffCarla at 3 and bring her back there. We’ll set up lawn chairs for totality at 3:20, for 3 and a half minutes, and eventually go back home. Forecast is dry with broken clouds and about 60 degrees. If there was no eclipse, we’d say it was a great early spring day.

Saw a video of very heavy traffic northbound on route 15 in central Pennsylvania this afternoon.

• Heart 2

I just discovered on campus, there will be a pop-up spot for telescopes, glasses (probably) but can't figure out location ie. Green Space 20. Given the multiplicity of green space and bldgs., I'm not going to hope I'll find it and if I do, there will be a long lineup.  

Though I've lived here for past 13 yrs., I don't know our local university ...at all.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I just discovered on campus, there will be a pop-up spot for telescopes, glasses (probably) but can't figure out location ie. Green Space 20. Given the multiplicity of green space and bldgs., I'm not going to hope I'll find it and if I do, there will be a long lineup.  

Though I've lived here for past 13 yrs., I don't know our local university ...at all.

They’re doing a whole bunch of stuff at work, including tours of the observatory - we are a Physics department after all - but there’s no way in hell I’m going to deal with the endless stream of Tourons on the Interstates I have to take to get there.

• Heart 1

I'll be working.  I'll probably bop outside a couple times with 2 pieces of paper, one with a pin hole, to see the eclipse using the projection method.

I'll be happy to accept if Wilbur offers to take me for an airplane ride though.

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

They’re doing a whole bunch of stuff at work, including tours of the observatory - we are a Physics department after all - but there’s no way in hell I’m going to deal with the endless stream of Tourons on the Interstates I have to take to get there.

I think the North American universities even with mini astronomy depts., see it as a great public outreach opportunity...it is soft marketing when some faculties don't do a enmasse public outreach except for niche audiences or prospective students.

• Heart 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

I think the North American universities even with mini astronomy depts., see it as a great public outreach program. 

They’re kind of naive, then. 

There’s a handful of people genuinely interested, but the rest are only in it for the Instagram posts. :rolleyes:

• Heart 1

We are about 120 miles from a full 4-minute viewing, and we have a couple of different places where we could go in Illinois or Missouri. However, most of them are predicting a partly cloudy tomorrow at 2 PM. I'll decide tomorrow morning.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I’ll be scouting a local playground from 2-2:45. Assuming it’s good and there’s parking, I’ll go home and get BuffCarla at 3 and bring her back there. We’ll set up lawn chairs for totality at 3:20, for 3 and a half minutes, and eventually go back home. Forecast is dry with broken clouds and about 60 degrees. If there was no eclipse, we’d say it was a great early spring day.

Saw a video of very heavy traffic northbound on route 15 in central Pennsylvania this afternoon.

According to the local NYC weatherman, the partial eclipse starts in NYC around 2:10 with the maximum eclipse at 3:25 (89% for NY).  

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

I’ll be at work, but have no idea what I’ll be doing tomorrow. I’ll find out around 7:30 what the job is for the day.. 

if possible I’ll be screwing off and if that’s the case I’ll have my little red telescope with me and the sun filter. 

• Heart 2

The Solar Eclipse Is the Super Bowl for Conspiracists. i just searched the google and found news websites that are Debunking misinformation, conspiracies sparked by 2024 solar eclipse. My favorite is

Claim: Three rockets being launched by NASA during eclipse are part of 'sex magic ritual'

Our rating: False

• Haha 4

We're only partially dark in our area.

Supposed to start after 11:30 am and whole thing to end before 1:30 pm.  However that's just probably for some queuing to see.  I dunno.  I might be busy looking at history of currency/coins exhibit at a campus museum.

• Heart 2

Ok Niagara Falls Canada is going crazy now with tons of visitors this afternoon onward... Many folks drove several hrs. to there.  I'm not clear why seeing the eclipse over the falls is a thing. 

Putting extra commuter trains tomorrow between Toronto and Niagara Falls for this plus baseball game, NHL hockey game.  

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, BuffJim said:

We came through Selinsgrove and Shamokin Damn today. Heavy traffic until we took a secondary route over hill and dale. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

38 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Ok Niagara Falls Canada is going crazy now with tons of visitors this afternoon onward... Many folks drove several hrs. to there.  I'm not clear why seeing the eclipse over the falls is a thing. 

Putting extra commuter trains tomorrow between Toronto and Niagara Falls for this plus baseball game, NHL hockey game.  

Go up on the Skylon tower to get a closer look at the sun clouds.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I think you’d see the eclipse over the Falls a lot better from the US side.

56 minutes ago, Airehead said:

We came through Selinsgrove and Shamokin Damn today. Heavy traffic until we took a secondary route over hill and dale. 

That’s where the video I saw was from.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Chris... said:

The Solar Eclipse Is the Super Bowl for Conspiracists. i just searched the google and found news websites that are Debunking misinformation, conspiracies sparked by 2024 solar eclipse. My favorite is

Claim: Three rockets being launched by NASA during eclipse are part of 'sex magic ritual'

Our rating: False

How does last week's earthquake play in?

• Haha 1

It’s all for nought, we have 100% cloud cover. It will probably still get pretty dark around 3:17. Should I take pictures of the dark sky? If I forget I could probably fake it by taking a picture with the lens cover on my camera.