Would you go on a flight right now?

Randomguy

The fares are really low but where would we go and what would we do when we got there?  My wife kicked the idea of flying back east to visit her mom since she’s not beholden to an employer but didn’t want to get stuck there.

Better to stay home.

• Heart 2

Hell yeah.  I hear the planes are empty and if you plan it right, you are the only one on the flight.  Any other time, not if I can freaking help it because I hate flying.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

The fares are really low but where would we go and what would we do when we got there?  My wife kicked the idea of flying back east to visit her mom since she’s not beholden to an employer but didn’t want to get stuck there.

Better to stay home.

I just had a brilliant idea. Buy her mother tix to come stay with you!

• Haha 2

So many airlines have stopped flying to NY or cut back flights, it might be harder for me to get one than I thought.  I don't think I'd travel for work now, and most of my family is within driving region, so I can't think of why I'd fly, but if there was a strong enough reason, sure.  I'd definitely go on a dirigible now.

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, dennis said:

Would you go on a cruise now?

Apparently people are still going cruise ships. 

I was really surprised to hear there was another cruise ship debacle this week?  I would think they embarked while we were on stay at home orders but maybe not?  

No, due to the potential triple-whammy of catching COVID-19 in the departure airport, a confined space on the plane, or wherever you are going.

I'd rather go fishing or crabbing with my brother's in-laws on Maryland's Eastern Shore, where there are few COVID-19 cases.  Of course, they're really not going crabbing or fishing in a group now.

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I did, last wk. 1 hr. flight.  Dearie had his heart stent the next day.

And I will have to do it again in 1.5 wks.

Hopefully the flights weren’t crowded. We had a family wedding 3 weeks after 911. Kinda eerie having much of the plane to ourselves. 

20 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Hopefully the flights weren’t crowded. We had a family wedding 3 weeks after 911. Kinda eerie having much of the plane to ourselves. 

There was probably around 15 people for a plane  accommodating 100 people or so. I could smell a very light chemical smell..probably disinfectant used by the airline.

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Any new stances on this question??? Seems some CAnadians and others here have starting changing their minds?

It's disturbing when the airlines (in CAnada) are selling their middle seat starting Jul. 1st.

The flight between Calgary and vancouver is 1 hr. I flew early Apr. I flew because dearie had heart stent surgery. I did everything to prepare... I made sure I went to washroom in advance before boarding, didn't drink anything 1 hr. before nor on plane.  Masked, etc. There were very few people on the plane. No one sat beside me.

It may be different from now onward.  I'm talking about domestic flights where in Canada for CAnadians it's risky but still not totally tragic (if a person is healthy) because it's a tiny bit less stressful for Canadians should we get sick in another province. (I mean we won't get bankrupt.)

If I get sick, then I prefer to be detained in my own home country where I know what I normally expect as a citizen, to get health care.  I just can't think of getting detained /sick in a foreign country. The airline wouldn't even allow me to board to get back to CAnada.

I still wouldn't.  Nor would I go on a cruise or a train ride or a bus tour.  I'm probably in the majority on this issue as my neighbor who works for an RV/trailer dealer tells us that they are swamped and selling at a rate than their suppliers can't keep up with.

I don't think so, mainly because I wouldn't want to go to a crowded city and if I want to escape to the country, there are enough good places within driving distance.

Large crowds are the main problem.

I have a cousin who is throwing a high school graduation backyard pool party for her daughter (the Miss Teen Scranton/Wilkes-Barre winner I've previously posted here) on August 8th - the graduation ceremony will be held in August - but already I've heard from close relatives living nearby in Wilkes-Barre that they're not going to attend or not stay long if there are a lot of people there.

So my siblings and I decided not to go.

• Awesome 1

If I HAD to fly for some family emergency or something and it was only in country I would but would prefer to drive.  

I have done several work related road trips during this whole thing, a coupke driving and three flying, albeit on our own plane, but still did the whole hotel and takeout meals for a week at a time and came out unscathed.

I would not fly for the sake of flying

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We had a Utah vacation planned for September.  I'll likely cancel.

We are supposed to fly into SLC in August. Utah is on the list of states that if we visit we have to quarantine 14 days on return. Thinking we will cancel our trip for this year.