Been in the ER all day

Kzoo

I got a call just after noon that my dad fell.  He pushed the head of his femur through the hip socket.  The plan right now is to operate Tuesday to replace the socket with an artificial one.  Not a great thing for a 95 yo.  His resembles someone punching a hole in the drywall.  We've been in this ER room for 5 hours now- the last 2 just waiting for a room.  I've been thru this way too many times the last 4 years with the parents.  I'm starting to be on a first name basis with the ortho surgeon.  I already have a picture of the rehab facility and the process.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That is a very tough surgery for someone that age.  Prayers that things go well. How bad is his pain? When I snapped the ball off my hip joint it was horrible pain and morphine didn't help.

At times it was pretty unbearable for him.  They have it managed pretty well now.  Pain mess mess up an elderly mind and they never really recover from it.

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

At times it was pretty unbearable for him.  They have it managed pretty well now.  Pain mess mess up an elderly mind and they never really recover from it.

I don't make a lot of noise when I suffer.  They ask me on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad my pain was.  I told them 10.  They gave me an injection and asked the same question and I gave them the same answer. The pain never subsided until after my surgery the next morning.

• Heart 1

Sorry.  Hope all goes well with your Dad.  

I went through a lot of stuff with my parents, too.  I think I know a little of what you are going through.  I used to know my mother's doctors a lot better than she did.  

On the positive side, 95 is amazing.  

• Heart 2

Sorry to hear this and hope the surgery goes as well as possible.  We went through similar things with my Dad a number of times and even though there is not much you can do to really "help" just being there helps a lot.

• Heart 2

sorry to hear about your dad. Just be happy that medicine in our day is much better then back when he was a kid :)
We are wishing your dad a great operation and a speedy recovery! 

• Heart 1

My friend,

I'm very sorry.  Having visited both my dads at their separate hospitals today, I know some of what you're going through, as well as some of the rehab process.

My thoughts and prayers be with you and your family.  And PM me, we really should get together for a beer some weekend --if you can't make it this way, I'm sure I could meet you at Bell's.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

My friend,

I'm very sorry.  Having visited both my dads at their separate hospitals today, I know some of what you're going through, as well as some of the rehab process.

My thoughts and prayers be with you and your family.  And PM me, we really should get together for a beer some weekend --if you can't make it this way, I'm sure I could meet you at Bell's.

I was thinking of you yesterday.  

17 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Sending best wishes your way.

I hope his bones are strong enough to hold the artificial replacement!

Medical progress in motility-related procedures gets better every year. Hopefully they'll be able to meet your dad's needs.

I was thinking this too.  :huh:

How is your dad doing, Kzoo? I hope the people are treating him well.

Update- no change.  They are still planning on surgery tomorrow but I'm not sure it's actually been scheduled yet.  He's had a pain free day- better living through chemicals.  He's never had a soft bone issue.  He turned 95 a month ago and this is his first ever broken bone.  He's had his share of falls but has always walked away from them.

Just now, Airehead said:

How is he today

He had a good pain free day.  His surgery is tomorrow.  There's been an important change of plan.  They can't do a replacement socket.  Not enough undamaged bone to attach it to.  They have to put the puzzle pieces together and back it up with a screen to hold it together to heal.  This will be a major operation for his age.  They plan on having a trama team on standby and an opening in ICU for recovery.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This will be a major operation for his age.  They plan on having a trama team on standby and an opening in ICU for recovery.

This is what I was worried about.  Give him lots of hugs and prayers, he is going to need them.

• Heart 4

Prayers and vibes sent your way. I know this is a traumatic injury for someone who is 95. 

My great aunt broke her hip at 91. Not to the degree your dad did, but she was using a walker and flew from Seattle to visit us 6 months later on her own! Lived to be 104. You just never know...

• Heart 3