All these nostalgic posts...so what is your era?

Dirtyhip

Still one of my favorite pop songs of the 80s, with the super-cool Asian-sounding intro that I didn't discover till much later.  Skip to 1:54 for the song you 80s kids remember.

I love this lyric:  Tea, girls, warm and sweet (sweet) / Some are set up in the Somerset Maughm suite

2 hours ago, TrentonStrong said:

Still one of my favorite pop songs of the 80s, with the super-cool Asian-sounding intro that I didn't discover till much later.  Skip to 1:54 for the song you 80s kids remember.

I love this lyric:  Tea, girls, warm and sweet (sweet) / Some are set up in the Somerset Maughm suite

I'm forever haunted by this song... When I was a young Private in the Army one of the NCO's took me to the S4 to draw my equipment.  We took his personal car, a Pontiac Firebird and although I was the only passenger he wouldn't let me sit in the front,  I had to sit in the back... The car had huge speakers right about head level and he was blasting this song totally blowing my hearing out... As he was an E-5 and I was an E-1 I couldn't say sheot so had to deal with it until we got there.  

21 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I seventh grade our teacher played "American Pie" and asked us to interpret the lyrics.  She was disappointed that we didn't know who Buddy Holly was.  My first albums were the Doors LA Woman and Creedence's Cosmos Factory.

Having kids has brought this full circle for me.  They have never heard of the groups I like and likewise with them...  I think it's funny when there is a cover or a riff is covered for a newer song and then I play them the older version.  Oh wow I didn't know that was an old song...  I'm also having difficulty hearing songs from the 80's on the "oldies" station.  Oldies for me will forever be late 50's through early 70's...

I graduated in 82, I remember the music being a lot better than this:

Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1982

Title Artist(s)
1 "Physical" Olivia Newton-John
2 "Eye of the Tiger" Survivor
3 "I Love Rock 'n Roll" Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
4 "Ebony and Ivory" Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
5 "Centerfold" The J. Geils Band
6 "Don't You Want Me" The Human League
7 "Jack & Diane" John Cougar
8 "Hurts So Good" John Cougar
9 "Abracadabra" Steve Miller Band
10 "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" Chicago

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Having kids has brought this full circle for me.  They have never heard of the groups I like and likewise with them...  I think it's funny when there is a cover or a riff is covered for a newer song and then I play them the older version.  Oh wow I didn't know that was an old song...  I'm also having difficulty hearing songs from the 80's on the "oldies" station.  Oldies for me will forever be late 50's through early 70's...

My kids know the words and sing along to my old music. I played it non stop when they were growing up"

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

I seventh grade our teacher played "American Pie" and asked us to interpret the lyrics.  She was disappointed that we didn't know who Buddy Holly was.  My first albums were the Doors LA Woman and Creedence's Cosmos Factory.

In The seventh grade equivalent in England my music teacher played us pictures at an exhibition by Emerson, lake and Palmer.