So..how do you open your garage door?

petitepedal

At home I can open and close with a clicker, with the remote built into my car and with my phone.  I have the door programmed to close Otto Magically after 10 minutes so it does not stand open for thievery.

At work I can use a keycard to access the parking garage, but they also have readers that will Otto Magically open the gates if you give the parking management company your toll tag number.  I like this option a lot as I just pull up and Otto opens the gate.  I seldom have to even stop, just roll right through.

• Heart 2

We have a couple clickers.  We keep one by the backdoor for when we leave and another on the visor for when we get home.  We have one more in a drawer somewhere that we don't use anymore since we only have one car.

We don't have an automatic close feature on our garage door.  Unlike people who live in Texas, I live in a safe naighborhood.

• Heart 1

Open parking at work and the trees are creating havoc on my car now! Yea spring has sprung in SoCal.  I programmed my garage opener in my car so I push the button on the rear view mirror, no clicker.  I also have a pin pad outside so when we ride or walk out of the garage I can close it without having to push & run. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

We have a couple clickers.  We keep one by the backdoor for when we leave and another on the visor for when we get home.  We have one more in a drawer somewhere that we don't use anymore since we only have one car.

We don't have an automatic close feature on our garage door.  Unlike people who live in Texas, I live in a safe naighborhood.

Sesame Street Singing GIF by West Virginia Public Broadcasting

I have an app on my phone.

We have extra fobs in the cars and the garage.

I have keypads on the outsides of the doors.

I programmed a button on my mirror for my car.

The Tesla is pretty cool.  You get close to the house, it opens.  You drive away, and it closes.  No user interaction is needed.

• Heart 1

1. Remote attached to the visor in each car

2. Wired wall switch at interior house to garage entry

3. Have a keyed wireless remote but haven't determined where to hang it for combo entry from outside. Wife doesn't want visible from front street. Next to rear exit door behind rear fence, or next to actual garage door up front but behind landscaping.

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

I have the door programmed to close Otto Magically after 10 minutes so it does not stand open for thievery.

I go old school, and always wait for it to close before leaving home or going into the house. 

• Heart 1

Either remotes, wall keypad, MyQ app from the phone (Apple Auto/Android Auto), or my personal favorite; I have an RFID scanner in the garage set to scan at bumper height and validate the RFID chips hot glued to the inside of the bumpers. Usually, it will open the door as soon as someone is about 5 feet from the door.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

On a related note, a couple months ago had to replace my 20 y/o Craftsman/Chamberlain screw drive garage door opener. Replaced with a Genie 3155 belt drive that they advertised as "quiet." This garage door opener is so quiet it borders on freaky. Literally do not hear it open when, like right now, in the room where the opposite side of the bedroom wall is the garage. When I installed it, I also lubricated the rollers on the door which helps quieten the operation of the door.

• Heart 2

I have a button inside the garage to open it from the inside

I can open it with my phone

There is a button on the bottom of my rear view mirror in the car that opens it

I have a numbered keypad outside the door when I am in the yard or on foot

I carry a clicker cycling to work and back in my bike jersey

I just wave my arms and say 'open sesame'  (Not really but I figure most people have stopped reading my post by now)

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

On a related note, a couple months ago had to replace my 20 y/o Craftsman/Chamberlain screw drive garage door opener. Replaced with a Genie 3155 belt drive that they advertised as "quiet." This garage door opener is so quiet it borders on freaky. Literally do not hear it open when, like right now, in the room where the opposite side of the bedroom wall is the garage. When I installed it, I also lubricated the rollers on the door which helps quieten the operation of the door.

Oh me too!  My new garage door opener is so freaking quiet my son will come in through the garage & scare the crap outta me!  

3 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Either remotes, wall keypad, MyQ app from the phone (Apple Auto/Android Auto), or my personal favorite; I have an RFID scanner in the garage set to scan at bumper height and validate the RFID chips hot glued to the inside of the bumpers. Usually, it will open the door as soon as someone is about 5 feet from the door.

Clever

3 hours ago, 12string said:

I wish I had a garage.  Then I could have more cars to work on!

Cars? Oh don't be silly. It just means that you have more room for more clutter.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Cars? Oh don't be silly. It just means that you have more room for more clutter.

4 motorcycles and a sidecar 

We need to use the push buttons that came with our fancy encrypted garage door opener. Because its encrypted, the Homelink system in our cars has a hard time linking with it. We've tried a half dozen times, it times out, and we just give up.  :angry:

We have just the inside button and the Aladdin app which unfortunately is very persnickety. We had a world of trouble with it and now it is only on my wife’s phone and is sort of stuck there, can’t get it to work on my telephone.  Our opener is old and we have no remotes for it. I thought I had bought some on eBay but I forget what happened to them. We wanted it to work with the home link buttons on the crv but that hit some kind of snag too. So usually when we are leaving together I or sometimes my wife will hit the inside button and high step over the safety beam.