What do you do for a living?

Road Runner

3 hours ago, shotgun said:

I work with shit none of you (except Bikeman564) understand.

EXCUSE ME???

No freaking respect, I swear.  I did interview for a Mechanical Engineering job working with fire suppression pumps.  The ME I'd be replacing tried to stump me with a failure question, which didn't stump me at all and I even explained what the other failure modes would look like.  Biggest issue is a I don't know Hydraulic theory and curves (though hiring manager kept emphasizing he can teach me those) and I haven't done Labview programming (though everyone I know who has done it learned on the job) the programming aspect is why they decided to consider an Electrical Engineer.

Tomorrow I have an interview for a Quality Engineering job for a Lithium battery manufacturer, originally they were aiming at electrical vehicle market, but sounds like they now do some hybrid buses and micro-power grid systems.

Amazing how diverse of areas I can get interviews for (though versatility always been my biggest strength) but just can't get a job because always lacking experience in area they want, apparently most don't think people can learn.

1 hour ago, Road Blunder said:

I worked as an electronic engineering technician for the DOD for 37 years.  My expertise was shipboard guided missile radar systems for the first 10 years, and then shipboard air search radar for the last 27.  Our prime function was to act as the Navy's in-service engineering agent, providing technical and logistical support to the fleet as required.  We worked with the contractors to acquire and install the best possible product for the Navy and subsequently oversaw training, parts support and upgrades.  We worked constantly to improve the radar's maintainability and reliability in direct support of fleet personnel. 

My last employer was Raytheon.  ;)

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Chris... said:

I run my own sign-making business from my basement

And you do excellent work-- I am a satisfied customer who gets no compensation for this endorsement.

I am a school  superintendent who never likes to call a snow day.  Basically, I try to stay out of the way of the people who do the work that matters.  Oh, and I make sure they have the things they need.  I wanted to hire Hillary as a principal and I think that is why he left.

• Heart 3

26 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I wanted to hire Hillary as a principal and I think that is why he left.

He would make a good principal at one of your schools but I think he would miss Ohio. It's too long a commute unless he borrows your plane.

Edit: We should mention his SW name of @Forum Administrator so he knows we are talking about him.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm still quite amazed that we never crossed paths.  ;)  except that I began life in the sonar section of the ships.

We may have walked right past each other on some ship or other at some time.  But I had a lot more hair back then and that was before I started using the name, "Road Runner".   :D

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Road Blunder said:

I worked with Raytheon.  They built one of the radars that I worked on.  I used to travel to Boston a lot.  :)

I was a contractor for Raytheon for 6 years. Based out of El Segundo but managed programs in Fullerton, Malibu, Goleta &  Long Beach (before it closed).

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was a contractor for Raytheon for 6 years. Based out of El Segundo but managed programs in Fullerton, Malibu, Goleta &  Long Beach (before it closed).

In California, I worked for many years with ITT Gilfillan located in Van Nuys.  I also spent much time at Mare Island (Vallejo), Long Beach and, of course, visited many ships for many years in San Diego.

San Diego was my favorite.  :) 

• Heart 1

Retired after 42 years in trust banking.  I now spend time volunteering - Capital Development Committee of the local public library, treasurer of the local arts foundation, on the board of an organization that provides services to folks with intellectual and developmental disabilities and several roles in my church - and doing a bunch of outdoor stuff.  I also occasionally help out a friend who builds custom furniture and cabinets.  Always wanted a wood shop in my home but never had one.  This occasional side job gives me the opportunity to do some of that stuff.

• Heart 4

15 hours ago, Indy said:

EXCUSE ME???

No freaking respect, I swear.  I did interview for a Mechanical Engineering job working with fire suppression pumps....

No disrespect intended. I did not mean to imply that people weren't capable of understanding, only that not a lot of people have metallurgical experience/knowledge.

21 minutes ago, shotgun said:

No disrespect intended. I did not mean to imply that people weren't capable of understanding, only that not a lot of people have metallurgical experience/knowledge.

Nope, worked with a lot of material engineers, those guys can be quite interesting and quite strange.  And as always, I was only half serious anyways.

I work in a lame soap opera drama.

Yesterday I took a personal day. When I came in this morning they were all waiting for me. "What have you been telling the customers?" :angry:  Apparently a couple of customers called asking for me, when they found out I wasn't there, they said something to the effect that I must have finally got smart and found another job.  LOL, awesome! Wish I thought of that myself. :lol:    

• Heart 4

10 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The typical penny has so much grunge on it that you wouldn't know what you were tasting. I wouldn't put a coin in my mouth on a dare. Well, unless there was a million bucks involved, then I might take the chance.

It would take an awfull long time to lick that many pennies!

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Scrapr said:

tl:dr Pick up trash

the longer version

started a construction clean up service 28 years ago. First 2 years I drove a truck to pay the bills. It was originally just to pick up some vacay money. After 2 years I figured out I could make a business of it. So I quit the night job .....and broke my ankle the first week after quitting. Was able to grow the business to the largest in the area. Used to get a few requests to talk at conferences and stuff. Currently 11 trucks and about 13-14 on payroll. 

It's been fun and I have learned a lot. I love being around construction people. They are mostly can do people. And mostly positive. 

Currently shopping the company to a few select people to purchase. I've had a good run

So L'il scrapr isn't taking the helm? 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

So L'il scrapr isn't taking the helm? 

No. I gave my best sales pitch in High School. Unfortunately he & I do not have a great relationship. So working for your Dad ain't great. And my time frame is compressed now. Was thinking of semi working until 70. But w/WoScraprs cancer I want to spend time with her. 

• Heart 3