What did you do today?

Airehead

Built a scaffold to climb to the peak of my roof to fix a shingle that had a nail pop under it.  While I had the ladder out I cleaned several gutters.  Then I had to take the scaffolding apart and store the lumber.  Then I had to clean the mess(s) I made from the gutters.

• Heart 2

Moved some wood to the shed and stacked it, trimmed some branches that were in the way on some pine trees and burned them. Loaded my bike in the car in case we have some decent weather tomorrow.

and filled a big contractor trash bag with junk from the garage including two perfectly good cordless drills with dead batteries. (I still have a cordless drill with three good batteries)

• Heart 2

I woke up too early, worked for an hour. 

Made breakfast (waffles).

Went for a great ride on a beautiful morning. 

Had kind of a lazy afternoon, dozed on the couch a little. 

Went shopping and made dinner (burgers).

Now watching the recap of today's Vuelta stage, and later I think we will watch the BattleBots final. 

• Heart 1

Did some finishing up work on the leg extensions on the camper trailer beds. I had to tack three inches (or was it 4) onto them to make room for the boxes we pack our gear in to go underneath.

The extensions were getting a bit wobbly so I braced them with some steel strong ties.

Also did a bike repair for a guy. Was done with all that by lunch time and was feeling pretty good.

Went downhill this afternoon though so mostly just rested 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Rattlecan said:

Did some finishing up work on the leg extensions on the camper trailer beds. I had to tack three inches (or was it 4) onto them to make room for the boxes we pack our gear in to go underneath.

The extensions were getting a bit wobbly so I braced them with some steel strong ties.

Also did a bike repair for a guy. Was done with all that by lunch time and was feeling pretty good.

Went downhill this afternoon though so mostly just rested 

Rest more than you think you need to. 

• Thank You 1

Slept in (7:30) had coffee and a breakfast burrito. Went to the grocery store and loaded up. Went home and put the groceries away. Ate lunch. Cut the front yard, cut the back yard. Went to Wegmans for French baguettes. Made shrimp stock then cooked dinner and drank a few beers. Cleaned up the mess. Wo7 has not been feeling well so she is sleeping lots. Stomach issues with a possible fever. She doesn’t think it’s Covid due to it being her stomach. 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Had 36 year old toilets replaced this morning along with the 36 year old shutoff valves and a leaky faucet. 

Had them replaced that sounds like you paid someone to do it for you. What did that cost? Did you hire a plumber or a handyman? I hear how much plumbers charge and can’t believe it. It’ snot rocket surgery. I fixed some plumbing problems for my sister in law last week. I didn’t get fancy because where she lives has been sold and she already has her new apartment. If I was her I would have just moved into the new apartment. She has lived 35 years in the old apartment and doesn’t want to leave.

9 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Fiftieth year high school reunion. About 50% showed. Some I haven't seen in 50 years as I joined the US Air Force after graduating. Great fun.

50% at the fiftieth is pretty good percentage. I think we had maybe 25% at most but they brought their spouses so it was still a bunch of old people.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Had them replaced that sounds like you paid someone to do it for you. What did that cost? Did you hire a plumber or a handyman? I hear how much plumbers charge and can’t believe it. It’ snot rocket surgery. I fixed some plumbing problems for my sister in law last week. I didn’t get fancy because where she lives has been sold and she already has her new apartment. If I was her I would have just moved into the new apartment. She has lived 35 years in the old apartment and doesn’t want to leave.

I'm gonna have to take the fifth here because like the Carmax commercials I am embarrassed so I am hiding in a bush. :D :(

It was a complicated case, but at least the guy did it in a very small fraction of the time it would have taken me.

I am not a big DIYer and my motto is discretion is the better part of valor. :D My last big plumbing job was I actually did replace our garbage disposal the last time, even after watching a professional plumber struggle mightily with the first one!  Let's just say after that I developed a little bit of a plumbing phobia.  I have a guy who offered to do it for me free, but I feel bad exploiting him, in part because he is older, around 70 or so, but I think he actually does love doing plumbing.  What a dumbass I am sometimes!  The part I was snot comfortable doing was replacing the frozen shutoff valves for the bathroom sinks and toilets.  Sure, that was snot absolutely necessary, it works fine to just shutoff the whole house water, but I kept picturing a leak where having a local shutoff would save a big flood.

On a side note, I have no idea why the 36 year old builder-grade toilets started taking 3-4 times to fully flush #2.  I'm pretty sure my mom's toilets are even older, and they don't have that problem.  Everything I read said to suspect the drain, but the new toilets flush perfectly.

• Heart 3

2 weeks of travel during monsoon season means I had some weeds to pick this morning! It was a cool morning at least!  Watched F1 qualifying then rode to the gym. Tightened the alternator belt on the Miata. Then just watched some college football. Eldest daughter came over to watch the Husker game

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Located and recovered the people I was looking for, recovered the sunken canoe, met with the family to answer any questions they had and packed up to travel to a different lake for a different file tomorrow

Maybe you could help out here

https://buckrail.com/ttsar-suspend-search-while-fromont-swimmer-remains-missing/

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, team scooter said:

Went for a day drive up towards Wisconsin Dells. Got lost on some curvy roads. Checked out a few car dealers, a few antique/crafty stores, had lunch at a brewery pub, then zig zagged back home.  

https://tumbledrock.com/

tumbeled rock 1.jpg

tumbeled rock 2.jpg

Did you go hiking at Devils Lake?

Did you stop at the Driftless Glen Distillery for a flight? 

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Did you go hiking at Devils Lake?

Did you stop at the Driftless Glen Distillery for a flight? 

The preserve was packed, even though it was drizzling rain. Mrs did pick up a bottle of wine from one of the local wineries at the Ski Hi orchard store. Along with some apple cider donuts for me, of course. ;) 

https://www.skihifruitfarm.com/

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, dinneR said:

We could do that, no problem.  The side scan towed they are talking about is the tool for that job.  An ROV is not a great search tool.  The AUV they want could work too, but fancier sometimes means more things that can break.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Went for a bike ride with my buddy up on Skyline Drive (an @Old No. 7 favorite), and did this:

0f6FZRjGz3FbGmma1z0fMCWhZXelDtu8tkXqqKQ7  r_iTWO4A4HI9HxLt2qb16LppQ-BmW_5q0_ldtSO8  u6Mhq0vpqOUcxpGjE0Pf4QgYHF0FymRZlZjbr_gR  lwy5cO2s9zlRrezc-wSKGIytL4ZcbSScmctSaWhi

Now we find out how good their "lifetime warranty" really is :(

Did that wheel come from Zipp with the Power Tap hub or was it a custom build?

I know Zipp likes their radial lacing on the drive side with straight pull spokes but it makes absolutely no sense to do it with J bend spokes all heads out because it exacerbates the bracing angle disparity and hence the left/right tension imbalance.

All that to say that low tension on the non drive side could have contributed to the broken elbow due to stress cycles.

I believe that particular rim requires oval nipple washers to distribute the load a bit. If it was not built by Zipp perhaps they were omitted and in that case you would probably be on your own.

Did the rim damage and broken elbow happen in the same event?

Just now, Rattlecan said:

Did that wheel come from Zipp with the Power Tap hub or was it a custom build?

I know Zipp likes their radial lacing on the drive side with straight pull spokes but it makes absolutely no sense to do it with J bend spokes all heads out because it exacerbates the bracing angle disparity and hence the left/right tension imbalance.

All that to say that low tension on the non drive side could have contributed to the broken elbow due to stress cycles.

I believe that particular rim requires oval nipple washers to distribute the load a bit. If it was not built by Zipp perhaps they were omitted and in that case you would probably be on your own.

Did the rim damage and broken elbow happen in the same event?

I'll be taking it to the shop that built the wheel and seeing what their answers are.  But regarding the "event", we were riding along going up a hill and I shifted gears, and I heard a "boink" and said to the guy I was with, "that was a weird sound" but wrote it off as a missed/slow shift.  Continued the ride - many ups and downs - and only noticed when I put the bike on the rear rack that the wheel wouldn't spin and the spoke was broken. Then my buddy noticed the rim was broken too.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'll be taking it to the shop that built the wheel and seeing what their answers are.  But regarding the "event", we were riding along going up a hill and I shifted gears, and I heard a "boink" and said to the guy I was with, "that was a weird sound" but wrote it off as a missed/slow shift.  Continued the ride - many ups and downs - and only noticed when I put the bike on the rear rack that the wheel wouldn't spin and the spoke was broken. Then my buddy noticed the rim was broken too.

Well if they rebuild it with a new rim I suggest 2x both sides assuming it is a 24 spoke wheel or they could do radial on the non drive side all heads out and improve the tension disparity.

I would definitely never build it the way it is.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Running around packing stuff

Went to airport after good-byes.

Was at airport for 2 hrs... then stretched to an extra hr. because mechanics had to change a plane tire.

Took transit bus home from airport... prairie city now has wildfire smoke from British Columbia drifting about.

What? No visit? 

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:22 AM, Rattlecan said:

Well if they rebuild it with a new rim I suggest 2x both sides assuming it is a 24 spoke wheel or they could do radial on the non drive side all heads out and improve the tension disparity.

I would definitely never build it the way it is.

Wheels are from 2010 or so. Came with 2yr warranty (new Zipps claim lifetime for post 2021 wheels).  My LBS will talk to the SRAM rep and see if they offer anything - discount on new rim or the like - but I'm not holding my breath on getting anything other than maybe a 10% discount sort of thing.  At this point, I'm fine running with my #2 wheel set for a while.  I'll see what pops up - not even sure how common or easy it is to get standard rim brake rims anymore :dontknow:

On 9/11/2022 at 9:54 AM, Zephyr said:

We could do that, no problem.  The side scan towed they are talking about is the tool for that job.  An ROV is not a great search tool.  The AUV they want could work too, but fancier sometimes means more things that can break.

I would think a side scan frog would work better. They are better swimmers than the side scan toads.

• Haha 1